1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ben's replacement on the team?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Now you're trying to tell us Santa and his reign deer are not real either?

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not in North America. All good in the Siberian tundra. I can speak to that from personal knowledge.

3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Holy****! For a minute there I thought you might actually provide an answer. But upon a little bit of research a reindeer and a caribou are the same thing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reindeer

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  4. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Know whats crazy? I was 26 when I found out reindeer were real at all. Whats crazier, time flies man, in a few months I’ll be 27

5. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    There are exceptions such as Baker Mayfield (1 yr), Sam Darnold (1yr), Lamar Jackson (1yr), Patrick Mahomes (2yr), Deshaun Watson (2yr), Jared Goff (2yr), Dak Prescott (2 yr), Mitchell Trubisky (2 yr), and Carson Wentz (2 yr). Hmmmmm, seems more the rule than the exception. Doesn't it? :this!:

What is your next excuse? :hehehe:

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lamar Jackson and Sam Darnold :roflmao:

That was good thanks for the laugh.

Goff didn't play well till his second season. Same as Trubisky who is still a work in progress.

Mahomes sat for a year.

So your list really looks like, Watson, Mayfield and Prescott and Prescott really isn't anything special.

Now go and compile a list of all QB's taken in the last 10 years and compare the ones who did well out of the gate and the ones who took 2 or 3 years and then the ones who never made it at all. Want to bet how that looks???

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No offense taken, difference of opinion is all :thumbs_up:

I thought Mahomes was going to bust hard but coaches are wising up about how to integrate college QB's to the pros.

Guess we'll see about Mason ;)

8. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Gruden isn't a very good coach, is he? He deliberately had the Raiders tank last year, and he still didn't get a top-3 pick. :hijacked:

How forgiving would Steelers fans be if Tomlin deliberately made Steelers team go with 1 or 2 wins in order to get a high pick? I'm sure that would go over well.

9. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    So you admit the learning curve is not that big and you don't know QB talent when you see it.

10. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    I think the steelers could have made the playoffs by drafting defence last year. but, ben ran his mouth about retiring soo they drafted a qb and a wr ..would be nice to see Mason get some more playing time this preseason, him and Dobbs jus playin to be good backups. oh well, draft time soon.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Read the first sentence

12. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    If they are hoping, then I think they were hoping for the next Steelers QB, anything between "solid starter" and "Brady" (after round 1 success). Not expecting, but if they want to win a lottery, they have to buy tickets.

Some teams put their hopes into a top-5 draft choice. The last time the Steelers had that was with Bradshaw and Greene.

Hopefully Rudolph and Hobbs just need a year or 3 of development to get them NFL ready. (There aren't many college QBs ready from day 1, and even they don't always succeed.)

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Taking a year to learn the position isn't a big learning curve? I admit you don't know the definition of a learning curve.

Don't make yourself look silly by trying to pass Jackson off as a great QB. He flat out sucked passing the ball last year.

Try harder.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s because they couldn’t help themselves from beating us.

15. Mcgee

Mcgee Active Member

Oct 2, 2016
    There once was a young QB drafted in the sixth round sitting behind an above average QB with a good team. The QB got hurt and never got his job back. We all know who this was, Tom Brady. I think Mason Rudolph has an excellent chance of becoming a very good NFL QB. He played very well in four years in college and has a great arm. We will know more after this preseason but until he plays with the starters we will not know for sure. I personally like him a lot and think it was a steal picking him in the third round. Don't see many young college QB's that catch my eye in the near future and if one of them did, we are too good to be at the top of the draft to get him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Dude, c'mon.

I realize this is an open forum and I'm not a mod, but I grow tired of this type of silly internet insult smack talk that adds zero to productive discussion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Rudolph has the live arm, but needs a clean pocket to be effective..... Dobbs has the head and legs, but isn't very aggressive with the arm..... both have upside, but are works in progress

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    People really need to stop using the Tom Brady example. It's just not realistic. Johnny Unitas failed to make the Steelers and became one of the greatest players of all time with the Colts. That doesn't mean you should try to find your starting quarterback on the scrap heap.

19. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Did we ever discover during pre season if Rudolf had a strong enough arm to have a realistic shot at being a to tier QB?

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It's a make or break it year for Dobbs. We'll see if he has it by this year and know where he stands.

IMO the guy is smart, but it's yet to see what's on paper translate to the field.

He appears to get flustered in the pocket and look down to rely on what he does best which is run. I'm a bit concerned he doesn't have the "it" factor to truly utilize his potential of smarts and athletic ability to play NFL QB.

As for Rudolph, he looks too spastic in the pocket. He doesn't look comfortable, which was definitely expected. Hopefully that progresses. He does look to move around in the pocket well, which to me is more important than being a mobile QB.

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    No, but we did discover that Dobbs doesn't.:unsure:

22. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    He is big framed, 6-5, 230, athletic, can run a little. Can sling 10 yard out from left or right far hash.
    https://giphy.com/gifs/3eSx7inlR2E8lhAJjr

He has a quick gun, arm is close to the body, the release is a short motion.
    https://giphy.com/gifs/3kIXBntsVdmw47dfYF

He threw the ball 489 times in his senior year, that is 600 attempts adjusted for 16 games. Carried the team, and won.
    He had 4900 yards. Three year starter.
    Overall, with such high attempts, he was very efficient, 65% completions. 21 attempts per sack, 55 attempts per interception, 13 attempts per touchdown. Super efficient.

All that, you will be hard pressed to find. That, is a #1 overall pick stuff.
    I have no worries.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Rudolph will be good. Wouldn't surprise me if he leaped Dobbs on the depth chart in '19. QB is the least of our worries.

• Like Like x 1
  24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Wait a minute Heinz..........you're not the..........[​IMG]........are you? ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I will be worried if Mason doesn't leap Dobbs this year.