1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ben's replacement on the team?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    So far, we have two in what, 18 years? And Brady was in a different era.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I do think Bens successor is on the team, think they have two good options which at least one of them will pan out. In the end, I think Mason is going to be that guy. I'm very interested in seeing how both play this pre season.

Dobbs was much improved from year 1 to year 2, see if he can take another step.

See what a year under his belt does for Mason.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Rudolf may be Ben's replacement. I don't believe he will be an 'elite' QB like Ben though. So I hope Ben's replacement is not on the team yet.

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I hope you are right. I have very little hope for Dobbs, he simply has a style that doesn't work in the NFL and I haven't seen any real sparks from him. I like the looks of Rudolph but I have read his scouting reports and they just don't translate to a top ten QB in the NFL.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Those scouting reports are from college. He is getting NFL coaching now and for the next couple of years. They will improve any warts they see in his game. That is the luxury we have with a franchise guy in place. Most teams don't have that time. :cool:

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's a high bar. Roethlisberger has his flaws, but he's going to the Hall of Fame. It's not often that a team has a Hall of Fame quarterback for well over a decade, then replaces him with another Hall of Famer.

Rudolph doesn't have to be bound for a gold jacket to be a viable replacement. There is a significant gap between having another player at Roethlisberger's level and turning the keys over to the next Cliff Stoudt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Is Ben's successor on the team?
    Maybe people need to think outside the box.
    Maybe there is a hidden reason why the team keeps McCullers around... :hmm:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Montana, Young
    Favre, Rodgers

Yeah, it don't happen very often.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Bradshaw, Stoudt...……….Oh, wait!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree but it's nice to have a stud that can go down the field and score when you have to have it.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's who I was thinking of that had broken the pattern. I couldn't think of any others in the last 30 or 40 years.

We've had a Hall of Fame quarterback starting for the Steelers since 2004. It's easy to take that for granted and forget how rare it is to find guys like that.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  12. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Why give Ben a new contract this year? Why not make him show that he is capable of high level play without AB? Why not see if he physically gets through this year without a debilitating injury? Why not wait a year to see if one of the youngsters steps up his play? If you wait you will only have to pay the market price of Ben which for 38 year old QB won't be as much as they will pay this year. Plus if one of the youngster plays well then there is even more leverage for management to keep Ben's contract in check.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It would lower his cap hit and offer more flexibility to fill out the roster as the season approaches. No wing the way they do business they would probably restructure it immediately as well making his salary so high by year 3 that he will retire or be cut.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Go look up Bens scouting report. It's laughable.

Players aren't a finished product when they enter the NFL, big learning curve. Rudolphs tape in college, his intangibles, his confidence are all things that give me hope he can be the next guy.

Bens a HOF QB, I'm not saying he's going to be that and he doesn't have to be. I'd take a QB on say, Wentz level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    What do you believe the odds are on picking up a stud like an Andrew Luck by doing whatever you have to when that type guy becomes available? To much to pay for the risk/return?

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Andrew Lucks don't come around very often. I think most people knew he was a can't miss prospect. If a guy like that comes around, I have no problem paying a heavy price to get him.

In contrast, I ripped Andy Reid for giving up what he did during the draft, thought he was crazy. Gave up his 1st and 3rd that year plus the following years 1st rd pick. Looks like it was a great move now but that was a huge gamble. Mahomes was far from a sure thing.

I can't comment on this years crop of QB's, I haven't looked at a single one but I'd say there is zero chance there is anyone coming out the the Steelers feel is a can't miss prospect.

They are going to roll with who they have and see if one of them is up to the task. Unless Ben plays four more years, then they may look at drafting another one when the time comes.

I think Ben probably signs a 3 year extension and plays 2 more.

17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The guy making all the noise in 2017 was 4th round pick Kirk Cousins. In 2018 he became the highest paid player in NFL history.

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Ahhhh that's a good one!

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Technically speaking then, aren’t you hoping Rudolph’s replacement is not on the team yet?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Are you both talking about Santa's reindeer?

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Damn those schematics. Get me every time.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We are in North America. Therefore that would actually be Santa’s Caribou.

But to be more specific, no, we’re still on football.

23. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I watched Mahomes in college and could not believe he was rated behind Trubisky and Watson. Dude had an arm that just jumped off the tape. He has the best arm I’ve ever seen, including Aaron Rodgers. Bradshaw had great zip on the ball too.

But the way Mahomes was the son of an MLB pitcher, threw stronger on the run than a few Pro Bowl QB’s could standing still in a clean pocket, and had the confidence? Saw this coming TBH

24. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015
    Hate to disagree twice, Blast - not picking on you, promise! I don’t see confidence with Rudolph. I see it a little on the field perhaps (not the preseason for sure, but college yes) but even in interviews, seems a little ...lacking in confidence.

Rooting for him though! Seems like a zero ego guy. But is that because of little confidence?

25. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015
    Also, burning a third to see if Rudolph is the guy - good move. You take that chance all day.

And if it doesn’t work out? Trade that yrs 1st, the next years 1st and a 3rd for your QB of the future in a couple years. Steep price, but this is the most important position that has a 10-20 year shelf life.