1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

devin white

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steel1031, Mar 28, 2019.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    lets say he falls to 10 and is sitting there. I don't even try to remember what the trades look like. what would it take to move 10 or say 8 spots for us to get him. a 3rd? probably more?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Think ditka and dreadlocks. :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I'd say atleast our #1, 3, and oakland's 5th that we got. And possibly something next year

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I would think this would be close.

I do think this is a realistic option for several reasons:

1. We need an ILB.
    2. Devin White will likely be drafted at #11 by the Bengals
    3. Denver at #10 needs a QB and could easily trade down and acquire one there.

I am sure Colbert and Elway have discussed this already as a potential option.

I for one hope it doesn't happen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That would be way too much for him.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would give a our 1st 3rd and 5th for him. In a heartbeat

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see it happening. They've got some gaping holes to fill so we'll keep all our draft picks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    If they think he can be an All Pro type lb in the middle of their defense for the next 10 years, then a 3rd and a 5th really isn't much to give up.

Who wouldn't give up a 3rd and a 5th to trade up for Polamalu?

Not saying that's what white is going to be but he has all the tools it takes to be an All Pro.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    My issue is not what it is going to take to acquire Devin White. My issue is heavily directed towards what the teams Inside Linebackers have done since Ryan Shazier went down in addition to Keith Butlers "wonderful" game plans with linebackers overall. That alone gives me pause as to why I am hesistant to trade up for Devin White.

The other reason? White is more of an athlete than he is a linebacker right now. For a rough comparison, Tremaine Edmunds was much of the same. However, unlike White, Edmunds has an unthinkably, colossal ceiling in addition to his pro ready abilities to cover; unseen before in a 6'5 linebacker.

Yes, some say Pittsburgh generally drafts this way from a historic context, but White is far too hit or miss as it stands. For that matter, how quickly can he understand his keys in a division where the running backs are not just power based but have some agility?! In that vein the same, is he really worth moving the proverbial Heaven and Earth for?!

I do not think he is. That being said, we shall see. Less than a month away.

10. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    We do NOT need 10 damn draft picks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

we lost 3 wrs.
    we lost 1 te.
    we lost 1 ot.
    we lost 1 ilb and probably a 2nd.
    we will be losing 2 cbs
    we will be losing 2 s.
    we lost 1 rb.

we have added 3 spots. That leaves 9 spots to fill, not counting the ones we need to upgrade.:cool:

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    As long as they don't give up a first and second, give up the first, third, and a fifth.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    10 draft picks won't make the roster, I'm okay dealing away 2 of the 10 picks if they want to move up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Oh I agree but this draft has value deep into it. We have needs deep too.:cool:

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if they need to move up. Depends how it rolls.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    While this is just one person, Vic's words do mean something. His wisdom does speak for itself;

Keep in mind, Vic Fangio has coached some of the following linebacking corps;

- New Orleans "Dome Patrol" of the 80s to early 90s.

- Ravens of the 2000s

- San Francisco of the early 2010s

In that same vein, Vic has coached some of the best Linebackers in NFL History. Rickey Jackson, Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis to name a few. The man does have an eye for linebacking talent as he has been "around the block" for some time.

All that said though, if Pittsburgh believes either Bush or White are the "heirs" to Shazier, they will not hesitate to trade.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with Vic 100% on this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Here’s how I see these two prospects:

1. White can become as good as Shazier overall. He has slightly less raw speed, and is a bit stronger at the point of attack entering the league, but overall I see similarities. However, like Shazier I don’t see him being a Pro Bowl caliber LB right away. To me White’s tape shows that he takes a little bit of time to process run/pass, play direction, etc. at the snap. He also has a tendency to give up ground on inside runs by backing away from O linemen. Also, as a blitzer he tends to go so all out that it can be easy for the QB to sidestep him and reset for the throw. He got away with these things at the college level, but to be a Pro Bowl caliber ILB he will need to improve. I think he can become a great ILB, but I think it will take until year 3 before he’s truly there. A couple of months ago I compared him to Jonathan Vilma, and I still like that comparison. I think he’ll impact sooner with a team that shields him from O linemen with a 4 man front, and allows him to use his speed to run free to the ball. Is he worth pick 20? I say hell yes. Is he worth trading a 3rd to move up a few spots? Maybe. Would I go all out and give what it takes to get to the top 10? Nope.

2. I was pimping Bush hard back when it looked like there was a chance of us getting a late 1st or early 2nd for AB, and I wanted Bush as our 2nd pick in the draft (either the AB pick or trading up in the 2nd). Now that he’s being pushed as a potential top 15 pick by the media, I think he’s being overhyped. He’s good, but I don’t think he’s THAT good. I see him as being a superior sub package LB because he can cover and he is an exceptional blitzer. He also shows great instincts to sniff out screens and blow them up. However, he’s a long way from being a Pro Bowl caliber 3 down ILB. I think he’ll struggle against the run, and may never be more than an average run defender. In today’s sub package-heavy NFL I think a player like Bush is worth a lower 1st - maybe pick 20 depending on who else is available. I would not trade up in the 1st for him.

If we get one of these guys, I think Bush can impact earlier than White, but it would be in sub packages. I think he’s ready as a rookie to be a very good sub package LB. Combine him with Barron on passing downs, and I think we’re well equipped to run a dime/big nickel. He would also be a good counter to a running attack that uses the QB as a weapon like what the Ravens will do with Jackson.

19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Here is what the #10 pick last year cost from the #15 spot:

. Oakland traded its first-round (No. 10) to Arizona for the Cardinals’ first- (No. 15), third- (No. 79), fifth-round (No. 152) picks

I am gonna guess a 1st 3rd and 5th will not be enough for 5 more spots........and for the record that is way to much. imo

20. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Also keep in mind that Denver needs an ILB....dudes probably just blowing smoke up other teams a$$es

21. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    When have we ever had all of our picks pan out?! If there’s a player that you feel will make THE difference, you give some picks up and go get him.

Yeah, that 6th rounder may have ended up being an AB. But most likely it’s a guy that wasn’t on the team come September...

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    in the same note, unless you pick them you won't know if they are an AB, Tom brady, Vince williams, or otherwise.:cool:

23. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah but our Raiders 3rd round pick is pick 66. The numbers work out. Once again, I'm not advocating we do this but I'm sure Colbert has had the conversation.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He ain't what you guys are making him out to be as a LB. Panic pick giving up that much for him.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    In the 17 draft, the chiefs traded two 1 picks and a 3 to move up to the 10 spot to draft mahomes, the steelers would be better off trading with the bills at 9 to avoid denver if they think white is worth it, I dont agree with trading multiple picks to get him in the top 10 because we have other needs for those picks....