1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NY STEELERFAN, Mar 23, 2019.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Regarding drafting QB`s, IMO you go for what is believed to be a franchise QB if you are looking for your next starter or don`t go at all (consensus being the QB in question is so good he is expected to be gone within the first 10 picks or so). We were lucky when we got a shot at drafting Ben. There was Eli Manning, Rivers and Ben in the 2004 draft. We were picking 11th and barely got him. Think of that. The consensus was all three were going to be starters and they were. What`s the chance we will ever be drafting that high in a rich QB draft again? Very unlikely. Meaning we would have to make it happen and IMO the expense would be well worth it when the time comes.

Much less of a crap shoot when you pay up.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So a Cody Ford it is? I don't think so.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t think they do it to appease the talking heads. They do it because they understand that QB is the one position that you cannot do without a quality starter. QB is the one position that’s worth reaching for if you believe that the QB you’re targeting can be a quality NFL starter.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes. It's better for teams to draft for higher rated players over needs. If said players are rated equally then can draft a player based on need.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Given the difficulty in finding a quarterback good enough to take you to the Super Bowl I just hope they plug some holes on the defense with players who can dominate immediately.

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    That's an understatement. Look at this defense right now. To me there are 3 players who are above the line, Watt, Haden and Heyward.
    The rest are average or below. You can't field a respectable defense with only 3 players above the line.

If they feel that Bush or White will be the next above the line player at ILB then you trade up. They need impact players, The question is can this current coaching staff get the best out of each individual? Sure doesn't seem that way. This is why this defense is putrid. large percent of average or below players and a coaching staff that is average or below as well. Not a good mix.

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think the key stat needs to get a 20 PPG average. If you think in today's NFL you pretty much make the playoffs.

Steelers allowed 22.8 last year.

Steelers also need to produce more TO's. Any way possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If Ben skips a few interceptions, that 22.8 starts to go down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This.

And I honestly believe that Ben will address the inordinate number of picks he had last year. The question will be how well Ju Ju steps into the #1 role and who is the #2?

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Less shotgun thus opening up play action and fix the run/pass ratio and that will help the INTs.

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree with this 100%, just don't see it happening with Ben. He prefers the shotgun & it will most probably be our formation for most snaps.

I myself predict that Ben will have at least 15 ints. next year. He will still be trying to force a big play as usual.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know. You might end up being right. I think though that his desire to quiet his critics will make him more likely to play within himself. I think the "motivation " will serve him well. My only question will be where is this " motivation " every year? Last year was a extension year and to me he played like it. Our best chance is for him to dial that down. Time will tell if he will.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Why do you think Ben will address the picks? He hasn't in the first 32 years of his career, or however he has been around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    IDK about the play action. Before the 2017 season there was an article about why Ben sucks at it. At the beginning of last season there was an article about Fichtner trying to put it back in (the PA). By November there was another Ben sucks at it article.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Welp, maybe I should have qualified that just a bit:smiley1: I think Ben will correct the excessive amount of picks he had last year. I think Ben being Ben, when he came to Camp with this newfound arm strength I think his mindset changed a little bit and he started playing like Brett Favre. I think he will learn from his mistake

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah well I'm not so sure he wants it to succeed that much. That would take him out of shotgun that he's in 70% of the time. I thought I read articles to the contrary. Maybe they were before 2017....

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Funny thing, I just looked up Ben's int % for last year and it was the lowest hes had since 2014, lower than his average over his career, and the same as Brees career average. I guess when you throw 675 times you're bound to have a few. But it certainly seemed like more than it should have been.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Drafting in the 1st round is tricky. So many things play into a team's decision, where they pick at, what the team needs, who is available, etc. It is hard for teams to overlook BPA in my opinion. Eventually, everyone needs replaced, so if a guy of need isn't there at your pick, you have to look at BPA (again my opinion but seems to ring true).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    That is exactly it. When Ben throws a few more times (on average) every game compared to the 2nd most pass-happy QB, there will be more chances for INTs. So Ben wasn't excessively careless last year.

You mentioned 2014. The key will be to figure out what he did that single (best?) year that was different from the years before or since. That was the only year besides 2018 where he had over 600 pass attempts for the season, so he was still gunning. Similar TD %, but the INT % was drastically better and an extra half yard per pass attempt.

(Was just looking at 2014. Bell's second year saw a big improvement over his rookie year. Bryant exploded on the scene his rookie year. Had Brown and Wheaton as receivers. So it might have been the right players around Ben at that time, but I'd still be curious if Ben did anything different.)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This ^

But contrary to popular belief by many, I believe Ben's ints will go DOWN, because he won't be feeling forced to push the ball to AB in double and triple coverage. Despite some's belief, he did attempt to appease the ego of Antonio Brown,

But that is a losing battle.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Good post. Take away the picks he forced to AB and it's even lower.

For anyone that questions Ben's skill, look up an Antonio Brown highlight film because Ben was the man responsible for getting the football to him contributing to all those big time stats of Mr. Big Chest.

24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This is just ridiculous I take nothing away from Ben being a good QB but come on all this talk about forcing the ball to AB has to stop. I don't care what anyone says about Ab off the field but on the field there was nobody better. With that said you feed your big dog and you do take chances cause that's what you do with good talent which we had on both ends of them throws. You don't agree with that fine go back and watch the ending to the Ratbird game 2 years ago on Xmas night. You might see a very darn good effort by AB to score on a play that we needed a TD on. If Ab doe not make that play all the blame would have went on Ben for not throwing the ball into the endzone on a must score play. Keep in mind the loser of that game didn't make the playoff.

That is just one play there are hundreds of other, how many people watched a game and said now way AB had 2 feet in hope they don't review it and bam they show the replay or challenge it only to see both feet in. AB is an Ahole not doubting it but stop with the whole Ben had to throw him the ball crap. How come when we talk about AB's plays it is always Ben throwing him the ball but when we talk INT's it is Ben forcing the ball to AB????? Come on enough is enough already with some of you guys both are very good players and nobody can deny any of that! Sorry if you don't agree but this is my opinion

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. BrianFlorida

BrianFlorida Active Member

Sep 25, 2016
    I agree that many of his INTs are what I call “Roesthlisbrainers,” but I remember two red zone interceptions specifically when he forced attempts to Brown in games following Brown complaints or whining. That should be over now.