1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Safety depth post 2019 = high concern = Investment Draft Strategy

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelcityclash, Mar 24, 2019.

1. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    With the soon to be release of Burnett, I believe we have only Marcus Allen and Edmunds on contract next year. Sean Davis will be an Unrestricted FA and I’m vocal that I don’t feel at this point that he deserves a starter level contract or willing to get into a bidding war. The safety position is getting paid and I’d like us to avoid getting backed into a corner. Tomlin wants a 3 safety package, we have little depth at the position, and If there is one position that can drastically improve our defense quickly, it’s safety. Remember, we were one of the worst teams in the Nfl in regards to turnovers!

It’s clear to me, despite drafting Safety high last year, we will need to aggressively address it again this year in the draft. This years draft has some serious safety depth and is seemingly filled with versatile, playmaking safeties. We got to take advantage of this and cover our @$$e$ in case the players on our roster don’t develop or suffer an injury. We will be in TROUBLE if Allen or Sutton become a starting safety for long periods during the season.

Although unorthodox, I’d make serious effort in acquiring two of them within the first 3 rounds. Love Adderly and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. Many love Thornhill, Hooker, Thompson. CGJ is skilled enough and has played CB as well. With his skill set, I have little doubts, he’d give Sutton serious competition for backing up Hilton. Whether CB or S, we need to focus on having one group of players that the team can rely on making turnovers on a play to play, game by game basis. To me, it’s simply a good investment that has a fantastic chance of paying dividends for the Steelers in more than one way. Thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would like to see an Earl Thomas safety brought in. Somebody that can find the ball
    and make a play on the ball. Don't forget this person must be able to tackle in space.Sean Davis is not the answer. This MO would also fit the cb position.

3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm not a big fan of drafting safety in the top 3 picks unless one of significant value falls without character issues. So far, they've pretty much struck out as of late drafting safeties for their value. It is yet to be seen what happens with Edmunds, and while I'm optimistic he'll turn out to be a good safety I do not believe he will ever be able to fill the "dollar" LB role they touted.

IMO this year the focus has to be ILB, CB, and OLB/edge rusher.

There is also a glaring hole opposite Watt, and it's almost certain IMO that Bud Dupree will not be a Steeler next year.

Probably best to focus on safety next year and work on developing Terrell Edmunds and Marcus Allen this year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They do need to find a safety this year, one that is versatile enough to play different roles in the defense. I think a playmaker at safety is more of a priority than a CB in this draft, this draft is loaded with good safeties. They might as well draft one this year to replace Davis in 2020.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Steelersrule6, how many safeties do the Steelers need to draft to figure out the "dollar" defense idea is not working?

Also Jon Bostic's last year is in the Burgh. Vince Williams is approaching 30, and we have yet to see if Barron was even an upgrade at ILB.

Sorry I don't see it unless there's a Mason Rudolph situation presenting itself in the 3rd. Got to pass here.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They need to address the safety position in this draft for sure, but I wouldn't draft 2 within the first 3 rounds. They still have other holes to fill.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    See the above post. I disagree as this team has too many holes to fill elsewhere.

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    not only do I disagree, I do not believe the Steelers are going to do it anyways.

They have a 1st and 5th round pick investment in safety last year. Sean Davis was a 2nd round pick. I just don't see it happening.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe they didn't have the right kind of players to run the dollar defense, if they draft a rangy ILB, and a playmaker at FS then the dollar defense might work.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Davis is also in the last year of his contract, Marcus Allen is a box safety, that pick didn't make any sense last year. Marcus is expendable IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I've posted a vid on this a couple times on this with the issue with the "dollar" defense concept. Basically it boils down to safeties not being able to deal with much larger offensive lineman and are exploited.

Barron might do ok because he actually lined up at the ILB position for a while for the Rams, but putting Burnett or Marcus Allen at the position last year was exploited by opposing offenses.

I have not seen it work yet, and the idea of the "dollar" pretty much has been nonexistent which is basically putting a safety in as the middle linebacker in the dime. Until I see it work, I will be a skeptic.

Need an inside linebacker IMO

12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Free safety is a whole lot easier a position to fill than inside linebacker and 3-4 OLB/Edge rusher. So I have to put the emphasis there instead of safety.

And Marcus Allen is a 2nd year player. Way too early to write him off. He actually had some playing time last year, which says the coaches don't think he was just a wasted pick.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah no kidding they need a ILB, we don't know what the defense will be yet.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    A free safety will help this team more next season than a rookie OLB :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    These safeties are touted as the second coming of Ed Reed, but the reality is they most likely will have a very sub Terrell Edmunds impact.

An Edge Rusher and a rangy ILB would have a much greater impact as a rookie IMO

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    A rookie Edge won't get that much playing time, Dupree is going to play because of his salary, and Watt because he's good.

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It would depend how good he was.

How many people on this board complain about the pass rushing abilities of Bud Dupree?

How many on here don't believe a rookie edge rusher could outstage Bud Dupree on the pass rush?

Go back and review Bud's career sack and pressure stats. Because Bud's getting so much, there's even more pressure for him to perform this year. Definitely not unreasonable to see him pulled in situations where someone is out performing him, let alone a rookie.

18. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    We still have 2 other picks in the first 4 to grab an ILB while solidifying the backend of our defense with the other 2.
    I’m quite certain The safety position will be a high consideration in this years draft and depending who’s available at 20, I won’t be surprised if we draft one in the first. If not in the first, they could certainly move up in the 2nd for one.

We obviously didn’t have the right parts to play the dollar defense successfully. It takes time to develop and acquire the right players. Burnett was injured, Davis is Davis, Burnett was a rookie, Sutton is a positionless talent, and Allen hardly dressed. They were underperforming and at times average regardless of what type of defense they rolled out. Again, while Ranking in the top 5 in sacks, we ranked as one of the worst in turnovers. Our secondary was a weakness.

Not sure how you can accurately judge the likely hood of success based on last years roster.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think safety is a significant need. It’s not just a dollar defense requirement, it’s a need for every defensive alignment. Davis is not very instinctive, and I think that’s being kind. Maybe the light will come on, but so far he’s been a disappointment, and as others have noted his contract expires after the 2019 season. Unless he turns around his mental game, I wouldn’t want him back in 2020 in a starting role.

Tre Boston is still unemployed. He played in San Diego on a 1 year contract in 2017, and was very good. They didn’t resign him, so he went to Arizona on a 1 year deal in 2018, and played well again. They haven’t resigned him, and neither has anyone else. Does anybody know why? With all of these safeties getting paid, how is a 26 year old top 25 (or thereabouts) safety not finding employment? Is he a bad locker room guy? Has anyone read anything like that?

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Free Safety is very needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Was it Boston who was vocal in complaining about a conspiracy against raising Safeties salaries, or something similar? There was a point last year when a number of previously starting safeties were unsigned, and I remember there was talk that they were being low-balled by every team.

EDIT: Seems my memory isn't all that bad:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...-reid-kenny-vaccaro/7mvhjumemrdp1vhe0nptkfg62

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I feel confident in giving you a 100 percent guarantee this team is not drafting a safety with the 1st round pick. Just ain't happening bro. If they do hold me to it, but I'd almost give my left nut to say the don't. << ALMOST lmao

Now will they draft one within the 3rd round, it's possible but I doubt it also. How many safeties have the Steelers brought in for interviews? I'm not seeing any.

I'm expecting the Steelers to fill holes at ILB, CB, OLB/edge rusher, TE or possibly WR with the first 4 picks in the draft. Could be wrong we will see.

23. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    Hey you may be right. And I’m probably wrong about the Steelers wanting to draft 2 playmaking safeties early on, but I that doesn’t change my feelings that we should. Maybe they double dip at CB instead (I’d be fine with that as well), but wouldn’t it be nice to have a surplus of young talent in a key defensive position? It would be nice to have atleast one position we could be set for the foreseeable future - won’t have to worry about addressing next year and narrow down the amount of holes that we have. I like safety because we need to focus on the turnover aspect of our defense.

Aside from maybe QB and OL, if a starter gets injured at virtually every other position where the talent and depth are thin, we are going to have a hard time making up for it. Safety included!

First round is wide open, I’m just not ruling out safety (in either the first 2 rounds).

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Amani Hooker, Chauncey Gardner Johnson, Darnell Savage Jr. and possibly Deionte Thompson are all options in Round Two.

Among the ones that are needed, Amani Hooker fits the bill for a multi role safety. Rather, he is the one that will likely be available by pick 52. Today is Iowa's Pro Day. Here is hoping some Steelers brass attend today.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm not one that harps on Sean Davis. I think he's a serviceable starter but the dude is below average in the picking off other team department. If Sean goes down with injury, Edmunds could step in.

If Terrell Edmunds goes down, there is Marcus Allen or even Barron to fill at strong safety. Maybe not ideal but no situation generally is with injuries.

I wouldn't be heart broke if the Steelers got a playmaking safety in the 2nd or 3rd, but I would be surprised.

I'm heading out for drinks if they get one in the first lmao... unless of course it's the second coming of Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu. Would forgive them.