1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Slow CB class

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Jball, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Is this the slowest cornerback class ever? The average 40 of the top 10 ranked corners on nfl.com is 4.51. That's not great for cornerbacks. Only three of the top 10 ran a sub 4.5 And only one ran below 4.46 and that's Williams.

Especially when you consider that the wide receivers have a 4.43 average time. And four of the top 10 times were in the 4.3 range.

2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I guess Byron Murphy is the most "polished" CB in this class. Williams is seen as a project.

Personally I like "Greedy" Williams as a player << but got to admit I hate the name and ego. Getting tired of the gang-bang thug gansta rappas sporting gold teeth, gold chains, and strange haircuts.

I'm not too concerned about 40 times as many times the 40 time and the football field speed are different.

Take Antonio Brown for example. I don't think he was far from a 4.5, but he'd outrun corners on the field routinely.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    His grandmother gave him the nickname Greedy, it has nothing to do with a gang bang culture :facepalm:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    True, but some of these idiots don't deserve a high-end contract. Need to show you're a good person in life before the big deal IMO. Too many gang banging thugs walking around with millions because they can run and catch a football. just a personal thing I wish the Steelers didn't cater too.

Hopefully that dies with the exit of Brown and Bell, but I'm not holding my breath.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm more fond of tough, physical corners who know how to slow receivers down than I am of track stars turned cornerbacks. I agree though that this year's class seems slower as a whole than recent classes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Who are you to judge people? Maybe stop stereotyping people :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It's not stereotyping if you are judging by someone's behavior. And everyone "judges" people. If there was no judging, there'd be no draft.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If a CB runs a 4.5 that should be adequate enough to compete in the NFL, Richard Sherman ran a 4.6 and became a great player.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That's your opinion and it's wrong :shrug:, you were stereotyping Greedy just because of his nickname :facepalm:.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

To call yourself "Greedy" is no different than calling yourself "Mr. Big Chest."

It shows an over-inflated ego.

It's only stereotyping if you are judging based upon no real information whatsoever.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Greedy had that nickname since he was a kid, big difference from that clown AB calling himself Mr. Big Chest :shrug:.

12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Point taken.

Also point taken that he has managed to have every sports analyst, etc calling him "Greedy" as opposed to "Andraez" which is his real name.

Obviously there is a lot more to someone's character than this, so I'll leave that up to Tomlin and co. to figure out.

Here's a pretty good breakdown on "Greedy" lmao

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...s-is-a-double-edged-sword-pittsburgh-steelers

13. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Not saying they can't be good. Just pointing out what I thought to be a big disparity between the cb times and the guys they'll be covering.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wasn't advocating for the Steelers to draft Greedy, I just didn't like the way you tried to label him because of a childhood nickname :shrug:.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The part at the end about run support is what bothered me watching him on tape. He is essentially a pass-only defender. He shows very little interest in mixing it up with anyone who already has the ball, or trying to shed a block.

Too bad, because he’s pretty damn good in pass defense. The inside leverage issue they showed (I think it was vs. Alabama) is fixable. An unwillingness to be physical is harder to fix when the guys at the next level are even harder to bring down.

16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah I'm not a huge fan. If he's there at 20 with no other real impact player available, I might take a snab at him for his coverage abilities. I would have a nice little psychoanalytical interview prior however to test his character lmao.

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't know. Get over it? :shrug:

:guiness:

And I do take back my concerns on his perceived character issues

“I Have been blessed by God with a beautiful and supportive family. My blessings also include my LSU Tiger Family, both on and off the field. It is with those abundant blessings in mind that I have chosen to pursue to enter the 2019 NFL Draft”"

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/t...draft-scouting-report-lsu-cb-greedy-williams/

Kind of hard not to like him now lol

mcam AKA OG in the HISSSSSSSSOUSE

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

In fact, Pittsburgh already tried the whole "Track Star Corner" sensation with Artie Burns. It has not panned out well. Time to go a different direction.

DeAndre Baker or Byron Murphy are worth trading either back into the first round or trading up in the second. Both of those players will bring it in coverage every single play.

19. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    so you don't think they would be good value at #20?

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I do. However, Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin might not. What I think is irrelevant.

That being said, I assume you are posing this question based soley on my sig? If that is the case, my sig is a lot more based on the direction I believe the team will go in addition to my own thoughts. Of course, those options and more mean little because of the Steven Nelson signing in addition to how the board will break on draft night.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    They’ll be long gone by the pick we could realistically trade up into IMO. Murphy may be gone by 20.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

No doubt.

For that matter, due to the uncertainty of the cornerback position this draft, Greedy, DeAndre and Byron all may be gone by pick 20. That being said though, that does increase our chances of nabbing either Bush Jr., Burns or Hockenson.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Baker didn't run that well, I also heard he doesn't interview well.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Well it's a good thing he won't be interviewing the wrs he will be covering then.:smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He also ran kind of slow :shrug:, not interested in him at #20 either.