1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a sign of bad coaching or poor leadership?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    For the last few years I have lost my mind when watching the defense being caught off guard at the snap of the ball.

Usually for the first few games of the year it is prevalent and then tapers off. Other than the front line, there are multiple guys all pointed and barking at each other and 3 or 4 players shifting position at the time of the snap.

Is this because Butler's scheme is confusing or is it because we don't have clear leadership on the field?

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s a smokescreen. They’re trying to make the offense think our defense is confused. We’re so good at looking confused, that we confuse ourselves.

Seriously though, it’s Butler IMO. It’s his responsibility to ensure that our defenders each understand their responsibilities for every defensive call, and it fails to happen far too often.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good post. What made you think of this? :smiley1:

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's Tomlin and Butler. Tomlin admitted that he was involved in the play calling when we lost Hogan on that play against NE. I'm sure it's not he only time he was calling defensive plays. JH also alluded to multiple defenses being called on the same play , leading to some of the confusion as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    2 years ago when Mike Mitchell was calling the onfield logistics there was a lot of this. I don’t remember as much last year. Maybe I just missed it. But having a decent field general will fix this more than MT or Butler?

Burnett was brought in last year to be that communicator. He was out the first six games. We inserted a rookie. That could be part of the early problem? Burnett will be gone. A lot will depend on if Edmunds can handle these duties in only his second year. Or is this going to be passed on to someone who may not even be on the roster, and we are starting from scratch.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This this this, I am not taking the blame away from Butler but Tomlin has his hands in it too. Butler is a 3-4 coach, learn from one of the greatest defensive minds ever who was a 3-4 guy. Tomlin is not a 3-4 guy and imo this is where the confusing is coming from. The Steelers did the right thing by giving Butler the job after he past up many jobs, however it was time to cut ties and let MT bring in his guy.

7. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Neither. Sometimes communication break downs and blow coverage happen. For the most part the Steelers appear to correct the issues.

Communication issues, coverage break downs, or blown coverages happen with teams throughout the league at times.

8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The answer is Yes!

9. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    There is virtually no way to determine what causes this as a fan. We can speculate all day, but unless your down in the huddle or on the sideline, you wouldn't truly know. I'm sure it is caused by a combination of coaches, players, and adjustments when the offense is doing something totally different than what was play-called for. But what do I know?

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    215px-The_Wizard_of_Oz_Ray_Bolger_1939.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Indubitably

13. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    It is just players making adjustments to something the offense did. This happens to every team around the league it is nothing special.

14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah really there is no excuse to point the finger anywhere else.

Funny how the O-line and RB coach depart from the team.

But yet the defensive coordinator and special teams coach remain. While I've been supportive of Tomlin on a number of areas, he has be scratching my head on that one.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Or it's the D not sure of what to do and it's trending since Butler took over and it's reason for concern, take your pick.

• Agree Agree x 1