1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Now they've ruined the off-season too!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    As opposed to a handful of people who are afraid to accept facts and reality because it makes their world a little less rosey thinking I am:smiley1:

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    What happened to Dan Rooney? The guy who maintained his fathers legacy up until a handful of years ago?

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He died. You said there was no Rooney‘s running the team. I listed three.
    Stings a little bit?

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    When and where did I say there were no Rooneys? Let me save you the trouble, I didn't say that. What I said was there are no "Rooney's" owning the team" there's just Art II.

Play word games if you wish, but you have still yet to provide a shred of evidence that Art II knows what he is doing now that he is the man in charge. And as I've said a dozen times, there is a mountain of evidence to suggest that he doesn't.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ll type slowly. Arthur J Rooney II is the president. He is the man in charge. It’s really simple.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Also as far as Rooney’s owning the Steelers. Besides Art II there’s art Junior, Brian Rooney and John Rooney.

9. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The offseason is far from ruined. We picked up some help for the D via free agency and we have 10 picks in the draft. It'll be fun to watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Exactly, and under his control the Steelers have amassed great deal of turmoil and dysfunction. Let's see if Arthur J Rooney II fixes it or continues to pretend it doesn't exist.

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Let me clear the air a little bit. I didn't call you an idiot, I said it was idiotic of people to simply say everything will be fine with no evidence to support that statement. I didn't call you simple when I said "you can't be this simple", as in "you can't keep making the same simple statement that you trust the Rooneys as your only argument".

There are a lot of people who are very concerned about the direction the Steelers have been going the last few years and they have a mountain of evidence to support that feeling.

There are a lot of people who think everything will be fine and, to date, those people have produced the following reasoning:
    1. The Steelers have always gotten it right.
    2. I trust the Rooneys
    3. Trust me, you'll see

Up until a few years ago, I was the guy who said "don't worry, the Rooney's always get it right", and up until a few years ago, I was right. As of a few years ago, they stopped getting it right and I've stopped saying they would get it right!

And yes, I am beating a dead horse, but at least I am not still trying to ride it!:smiley1:

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m sorry I just don’t feel things are as dire as you do. It’s not that big of a deal and I don’t know why you’re making it out to be such a big deal that we have a difference of opinion. I choose to be optimistic and enjoy my fandom. That works for me and that’s all that matters to me.

I also like how you didn’t acknowledge the fact that there are multiple Rooney’s that have an ownership stake in the Steelers and are also multiple Rooney‘s who run the day-to-day operations.

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It depends what you mean by struggling with social media, I guess. It seems to me more that the issue was AB and/or Bell (though Bell wasn't technically under contract at the time, mind). I might be missing something, though.

Team policies on social media are fairly similar across the league, and across the league you'll find some players acting like dicks every so often. That's not to play down the Facebook Live thing, but I think the sense that the Steelers are the only team who have outspoken players misbehaving is no different to the view that the Steelers are the only team who get bad calls by the refs.

14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It's all good. I'm glad you are happy. I just wanted to check to see if you thought that Aat Sr. and Dan still ran the team.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah I get it now you’re just trolling.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I guess you could say it's semantics? The fact that our players acting like dicks happened to be two of the biggest and best in the league made our dick problems look bigger than everyone else's.

I think what has people upset above and beyond that is the visible fact that Tomlin has created an undisciplined environment, our DC doesn't know who we are playing against the day before a game, some poor media schlep being forced to take the blame for our DC not knowing who we are playing, our GM makes a public announcement that alienates the entire locker room, we find a way to lose games we should win, the "players being dicks" encompasses many more players than AB & LB, and our owner making a public announcement that causes us to get next to nothing in a trade for the best WR in football. Just those little things................

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed, except your definition of “great deal” and mine seem to be different.

IMHO, he knows exactly what is going on. He just doesn’t share his thoughts with me and you.

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Man ...... I hope you are right!

P.S. If you honestly believe that he is on top of it, why has he let the situation degrade to such an extreme over the past 3-5 years?

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m with steelerglenn on this point. I can’t change it. So, I’m going to have positive vibes and see what happens.

Note, I made a minor change to a post above.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Me too.

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Go to post #141 and tell me which of those things you think are over-reactions or mis-perceptions. I see them all as stone cold facts (and big deals) with the possible exception of if you believe we won the games we should have won and if you believe that Colberts statement about Ben and 52 kids will not effect any of the guys in the locker room.

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    And all this time, I thought Tom Brady owned the Steelers.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Some more reasons:

1) The 2 biggest distractions are gone
    2) They still have Ben
    3) They have 10 draft picks
    4) Signed 3 FA's.

I'm not sure what your deal is with Art Rooney. I wasn't happy that no major coaching changes were made but thats a family philosophy. However, he also didn't extend Tomlins contract and that can be seen as sending a message. Don't know if we can say Tomlins seat is hot but it's definitely warm. He misses the playoffs he could be in trouble this time.

As for tweedledee and tweedledum, what players did Dan and Art SR have to deal with like that? In the last 20 years you can count on one hand the number of huge divas like AB that were big distractions for the teams they played for. As for Bell, how many players have held out for an entire season, no one could have foreseen that, especially when Bell had been saying he would show up.

As far as I'm concerned, outside of not making coaching changes, Art has stepped up.

No contract extension for Tomlin
    AB shipped out
    Bell not tagged again

Don't focus on words, fans get too caught up in it, look at actions. I don't believe for a second that shipping AB out for a 3rd and 5th rd pick was Colberts call, that was a directive from the top, get what you can but get rid of him.

Same with Bell, they were talking about tagging him again and didn't. Now maybe Art didn't have anything to do with that but I think there is a good chance he did, think he wanted to clean up the mess and not let a repeat of last year happen again.

No Tomlin extension is definitely him.

Take a deep breath man, games aren't won or lost in the offseason. No body knows how they will do next year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    So you think that Bell and Brown were just a perfect storm of bad luck for the organization? Sorry, I don't believe in repeated bad luck in a situation which is supposed to closely managed. A deer darting out of nowhere and hitting your car is bad luck, driving with your eyes closed is not bad luck.

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Let me give you a little more detail:
    You ask what my deal is with Art?
    1. Under Art, Tomlin has been allowed to create a toxic environment and an undisciplined team. INDISPUTABLE FACT
    2. Under Art, Colbert went to the public making statements that have a real high likelihood of alienating 52 guys in the locker room. INDISPUTABLE FACT
    3. Under Art, the Steelers have become the drama queens of the NFL. INDISPUTABLE FACT
    4. Art himself stuck the dagger in the Steelers heart when he announce that we didn't want AB. INDISPUTABLE FACT

You say it was just bad luck that AB and LB, the two biggest problems of a couple decades, landed with the Steelers. I say that when you add Bryant into the mix, the environment created by Art and Tomlin, and the constant drama, it's more than likely that the Steelers probably made the AB and LB sagas ten times bigger than they needed to be.

Art getting credit for "shipping AB out" is absurd! He may have been the one to say get rid of him but he is also the one who is responsible for the team getting next to nothing for him. Even Jerry Jones wouldn't do something that dumb!

It's like when Bradshaw first started having success, people said he was just lucky. But when you do it over and over and over again, it's not luck! This indisputable craziness has been building for several years, it did not just happen this year; it's not just bad luck!

I hope I'm wrong but all logic points to me being right. Logic scares the **** out of some people.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1