1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Barron to sign

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PolamaluBlitz, Mar 17, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Might want to get started then! Give some extra effort as well!

The pieces are in play for Pittsburgh to trade up. All that remains is the lead up to April 25th. Anything between now and then is more information for Pittsburgh to acquire about him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Good move and will benefit the team. The guy can ball.

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    IDK, my opinion is he is the dime backer. I really believe we are back to step one at ILB and yeah probably freakin Bush. :facepalm:

I am not sure Fort is/was the answer so not bringing him back really don't bother me. We need an upgrade big time at ILB and Fort IMO is not a big time upgrade over what we have now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yup I can only hope there are other teams that want him more.......maybe the Bungals?????

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Fort was the fastest and best cover LB we had. Yes we could of used a upgrade but keeping him made it less important taking one in the 1st. Now most likely it will force us to give up a pick or two. That's why I wanted to keep Fort.....get ready.....it's coming . Dust off that camcorder so we can see you in action :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes he was but even with him in we still stunk. That is why I say no big deal it is either all or nothing. Upgrade big time or stay the norm this staying in the middle stinks. This draft is so gonna piss me off, every year we all want to trade up and we never do and miss out on very good players. This year I don't want to trade up for the players they want and we are gonna use these extra picks that could help this team big time in one of the deepest drafts to date. Un effin real.........

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Assuming Devin White has not been taken, then it is possible. Even then jowever, Devin Bush is likely not going top 10 anyways. Way too much available talent for Cincy to look over. For all we know, Zac Taylor might be done with Andy Dalton for good. Dwayne Haskins, if available, is not getting past 10 should New York truly not want him.

Only remaining team that would want him would be New York. Pittsburgh has the firepower to leapfrog them easily. New York is likely not going to trade up via a trade war to acquire Devin Bush Jr. for they are rebuilding in spite of what Dave Gettleman states.

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am hoping that will be our saving grace, so much talent lets guys fall and we don't have to trade up for one. It is bad enough to draft Bush but to trade up and waste picks will just be the icing on the crappy cake..........

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    How are we gonna upgrade big time at ILB ? Everything you hear and read say White and Bush are the only top guys. I understand your point and your frustration but to me it's either go with Fort and hope to draft a future starter at ILB later or do what you gotta do to be in position for one of the top two guys....pick your poison

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

Here in lies the issue with the whole "waiting" premise. Let us assume Pittsburgh does wait and they miss out on Bush. Who is the next best option in Round One?! In this draft, beyond Devin Bush and Devin White, the drop off is either big or even immense depending on what style of defense/scheme or division said teams play in. For Pittsburgh though, immense is not the accurate word here; COLOSSAL being a much better description.

Those two truly are the only ones who can step in and play day one. There are far too many unanswered questions for the other top prospects at Inside Linebacker as it stands. For that matter, those two are the only linebackers who are worthy enough to warrant a first round selection. Thanks to the loss of Antonio Brown and the regression of Artie Burns, there are simply too many holes now to fix that would have to be addressed in the later rounds.

One final aspect, they already tried "waiting" last season for RaShaan Evans. That did not pan out well. Art Rooney II, Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin will not fluke a second time. Rather, they cannot. They have no choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The question is then wit 10 picks that's 10 guys potentially to the roster, conservatily maybe 6 so who do they cut to keep the guys they are drafting?

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

This is the problem I have with all of what you said and remember this is my problem my opinion:

#1 I don't feel there is that big of a fall off from Bush to Coney, Edwards, Pratt and Smith

#2 That leads to keeping our picks and getting more talent in a talent loaded draft.

#3 The waiting game is a gamble sometimes you win sometimes you lose but when you lose it is then what you do to not lose more. Like last year when we reached after we lost.

Again this is all JMO

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That's the least of the problems, there is tons of room. I am unsure as to what our 51 looks like now but Hunter, DHB, Ridley, Berhe, Walton and Sensabaugh are FA and don't look to be coming back. AB and Gilbert have been traded so there is 2 more. If you check Ourland for out depth chart you will see names like Griffey, White, Jones and Spencer at WR. Edmunds, Webb and Williams at RB......Prince and Morris at G......Branch and Waters at CB.......Spillane at OLB and Sheehy at DE. I am pretty sure we can find at least 6 guys in the draft that can replace these guys no?

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There better be language in the AB trade that says on draft day when the Steelers are looking to trade up in the first or second with a bundle of picks the Raiders have to take the call.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt they pick CB at #20.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't have a problem with them trading up, they have 10 picks, 10 draftees isn't going to make this roster. If they have to give up a 3rd and a 5th or 6th to get either Bush or White, it's worth it IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah it's the fall back plan. I'm glad the Steelers got some type of insurance policy, but yeah they need a top ILB. That in my opinion is the name of the game.

Screw it trade the 1st, 2nd and Oakland's 3rd to trade up and get Devin White :cool:

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah Troy was a slam dunk. I remember people getting all upset about the trade up then. Don't think you could find one of those now that would admit to being against trading up for Polamalu.

The question is, is either Devin White or Devin Bush worth what it would take to move up and get them. Top 10 pick? Heck that might require our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

But given the fact that the Steelers have a lot of positions covered with a huge glaring hole at needing an athletic three down ILB, it might just be worth pulling the plug.

I do think they intend on trading up, but from what I hear it will be a competition with of all teams the RAVENS.

Can't lose that battle for the Devins :cool:

It is tough though because this draft has a lot of depth at defensive positions. So it'd be tough to depart with a lot of picks

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    who are They? They said Ryan leaf was one of the two top and too. Top two at a certain position could also mean 50th best player in the draft too. 34 solo tackles last year, that all I need to see. Too many plays made unblocked. He is not the guy to build a defense around.:cool:

21. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Barron wasn't great with the Rams and consider he had a much better D-line to play behind. I think I'd rather have them pay Fort than sign Barron but it is all done now so now so it is what it is. I'm thinking this signing is the replacement for Burnette, better tackler but poor coverage skills, this season isn't going to be pretty. We have lost a major piece on offense and they continue to overpay for mediocre talent, this is going to look real good with Edmunds and Barron of the field at the same time, smh.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I totally understand 10 picks aren't going to make the roster however where our opinions differ is the fact that I don't feel Bush is a top 20 player never mind trading up for him. I would rather use the extra picks and get more 2nd round value than move up for a player I don't like all cause he can run a 40, jmo

This draft is super deep and I would love to get more 2nd and 3rd round picks or move up in them rounds as appose to using them picks to move up in the first. The player with more chips always wins and having more black chips than white chips is always better. :smiley1:

23. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Barron has name value and draft pedigree, that's about it. The guy never really panned out. Last year was just downright awful. System of course matters a great deal in the NFL so Barron could possibly thrive in Pittsburgh, but I have my doubts. I don't think he is the answer to any of our problems.

24. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I remember this guy! Game in St. LOUIS where I met Steeler Glenn, this guy dove at Big Bens knee and took him out of the game ( Barron, not Steelers Glenn).

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

I was gonna say, that damn glemm will do anything to get playing time.:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1