1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Post combine

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Mar 16, 2019.

1. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Judging by the free agency signings and letting Jesse James go, it sure looks like PIT is looking to take advantage of a deep TE class. Would love Hockenson round 1. You run two TE sets with two good athletic downfield caliber receiving TEs that can block and you have a dual threat in Conner in your backfield? Play action will work very well there.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The same thing people said about Edmunds last year :shrug:, if White and Bush were gone I would take Pratt at #20.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think this is barnetts replacement. We still need vinces replacement. Adding speed to this defense will be a good thing. I could see Bush still on the radar.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Surely at 20 there will be better players at other position of need!

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes I misspoke in my previous thread. There are many football players at Clemson worth looking at
    I was trying to figure out who Steelers might be sizing up.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    There are some good offensive players as well.:cool:

7. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I think everybody knows how I feel towards a hybrid LB. They just don't work.
    This is a mismatch for OL and large RB's they run over these 225 lb line backers by the second half.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Our big dog can't make those tackles either. He just got restructured too. Too many complain about poetic but he and vince had nearly identical numbers on the year. I'm not sure what they see in vince. Vince needs cut not restructured. 7+ million dollar cap hit and we complain about dupree. We also complain about Sean Davis and he has led us in tackles the last two years. Once from SS and once from FS. Not because he wants to but because he has to. If he didn't have to worry about doing vinces job maybe he could do his job of coverage better.

I'd much rather see mack wilson and David long jr.. Gary Johnson plays fast too. The latter two will have to work on coverage skills but the run defense is there. Wilson is fairly good in coverage. I think he has more upside. The latter two also ran as fast as Bush and white. Wilson is fast also and has good size. He is quite athletic as well. :cool:

9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Mac we saw what your OSU kid did up in NYJ land, They gave Mosley the bank
    because of a misfire selection at LB. The kid probably can play but not at the LB position.
    This is a mismatch that Hybrids don't win.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Who?:cool:

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am not quite sure Barron is going to be the ILB people make him out to be. There could be an expanded role for him. I see him as our "bridge" at the DIME position more than anything else. Should this happen, looking at Amani Hooker in Round 3 would be a good option.

I still believe Devin Bush will be in play for Round One. Now, assuming he is gone by then, then oh most definitely TJ Hockenson would be the pick. He would still fill a need considering counting on Vance to stay healthy for a full 16 game season is the equivalent of believing your house is 100% safe from Flood Damage even though you have poor flood insurance.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    probably referring to Darron Lee, be my guess

13. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Darron Lee. They just don't work.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

he had more picks and more tackles and to break that down further more solo tackles than vince williams the last two years. :cool:

15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    How many more plays did he play? Why did they sign Mosley if he was so dominant?

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not really comparing what he did for them but how he's more effective than what we have and what we keep giving more money for. He was effective. He is no shazier but better than vince or bostic. I think that the jets were expecting a shazier type player and lee just wasn't that. Vince however is not a shazier, lee or mosley. Not even close.:cool:

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Mac ive been noticing a lot of mocks has the bungles drafting Bush at 11 since they are going to have to draft a LB early, you have any thoughts on that scenario.....

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Draft either T.J. Hockenson or Byron Murphy. If Brian Burns is within striking distance somehow, trade up to get him. All three fill other key needs.

That being said, I can easily see Zac Taylor opting for an Offensive Tackle as Andy Dalton really cannot take any more hits. While the talent drop off between Devin White/Devin Bush compared to others is great, the talent drop off from the likes of Jawaan Taylor and Jonah Williams to others is immense.

Even if Cincy does elect to go for a defensive player, a multi role defensive lineman would assist them more greatly than any linebacker would in this class. RaShan Gary may have his issues but his talent and potential are unreal. Imagine him with Geno Atkins.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm on the mack wilson train. I think he has more upside in the long run. I would like David long if we double dip the position. I really hope we don't get Bush but I'm not sure how the Steelers feel.:cool:

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Given the fact Pittsburgh brought the house to Michigan, that tells me all I need to know. Any other prospect they have on their radar is due diligence. Devin Bush Jr. is clearly the guy; Mike Tomlin's new "Wind Up Toy".

Here in lies the biggest issue. Two words; Kyler Murray. What Kliff Kingsbury elects to do with the first pick will determine the entire draft. Should Kyler be selected number one overall, I doubt at this point Bush makes it. Should the likes of Quinenn or Nick Bosa be in play for the first pick, those chances skyrocket. Too many teams in the top 15 need quarterbacks. Adding someone like Murray to the mix is going to push Devin Bush Jr. within striking distance via a trade.

Sadly speaking, it all depends on what the Arizona Cardinals do with the first pick. They hold the entire deck of proverbial cards. Time will tell.

21. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    It is all good Mac, we just have difference of opinions. And that is fine. I can tell you love
    the Steelers as much as I do. We are all too passionate, we just want to see them win BIG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    1. Mack Wilson ILB bama...... Timmons replacement. Finally.
    2. Trayvon mullen cb clem. Haden eventual replacement.
    3. Chase winovich olb mich dupree eventual replacement
    3. Miles Boykin wr nd moncrief eventual replacement
    4. foster moreau te lsu addition
    5. David long ilb wvu . Barron eventual replacement
    6. Albert huggins dt clem. Mccullers replacement
    6. OL
    6. DE
    7. RB, S

:cool:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Mack Wilson Pro Day Results:

40 time: 4.65 (Stephen M. Smith of tdalabamamag.com had him clocked at 4.58 for what it is worth). Average linebacking speed is 4.65 to 4.7. Mack is well within the league avergae for this.

Board Jump: 121 inches. Definitely an improvement over his 117 inches. This value is more important to me personally as Linebackers who usually have a broad jump number greater than ten turn out to be pretty good. Case in point? LVE, Myles Jack, Fred Warner, etc. There are exceptions mind you.

Vertical: 33 inches. Granted, only increased by one but again, for me, usually speaking, 33 or greater is that magic number for some odd reason. Linebackers who have that usually are very good.

That is it I am afraid. Wish he would have done his three cone and short shuttle but I suppose he can get to them later at Alabama's Second Pro Day.

In short? Mack Wilson is becoming more and more likely to be the "wind up toy" Keith Butler needs.

24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I like these first three picks. I’d be very happy if it turned out this way.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    1.Devin Bush ILB
    2.Juan Thornhill safety
    3.JJ Arcega Whiteside WR
    3.Chase Winovich OLB
    4.Daylon Mack DT
    5.Foster Moreau TE
    6.Ulysses Gilbert ILB
    6.Kendall Sheffield CB
    6.Trayveon Williams RB