1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Bud Dupree rumor

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Mar 15, 2019.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I was wondering if I should post this since it is 3rd party information. I have a good friend who happens to have a close relative who works for the sporting news. He called me on Tuesday telling me he heard the Steelers did offer Bud Dupree an extension but it was significantly less than what he is going to get for this season.

My question to you guys who know more about financial structures, could the Steelers have been possibly trying to reduce his salary to make it easier to trade him? Does that even matter at this point? I'm guessing if they offered him an extension that 3 years combined would probably be less than what he is going to get for this year alone.

I also think he won't be back after this season unless he has DPY season. I'm also starting to think that the Steelers are still thinking Dupree could get better sort of like they do with McCullers. Is it Tomlin or Colbert? I guess it bothers me with the Browns looking like world beaters on paper as they have OBJ and after 8 games will have Hunt as well.

2. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I thought u were about to say Dupree learned how to rush the passer this offseason.. That certainly would have been a strange rumor

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If they did offer him a 3 year deal, I doubt it would have been for less than the $9M+ he's making this year. Especially since Chick, has a 2 year $8M deal.

I'm not sure what the plan is, but it sure doesn't look great, at this point. Some have suggested maybe they want to try him at ILB... I think his athleticism would fit well there, but he doesn't seem to me to be a guy that is willing to blow up blockers and find the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Nobody tackles open space like Bud Dupree. No one.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    He’s getting paid 9 mil this year guaranteed because thats his fifth yr option going rate - we can all agree he might not be $9mil good. BUT, problem there is he has $9mil pedigree; first round talent, unreal athletic traits, potential. These days, potential is priced into the market. That’s a problem here.

Now, the front office is clearly trying to free cap. What they might rropose is, “hey, maybe this doesn’t have to be your prove it year. If you take $4.5mil per year, we will extend you for three years.”

This clears up some millions in cap now, and ensures Bud employment down the line. It also prices him into rotational duty, which he would be great at.

I think Bud is a C+/B- starter... but would be an A+ rotational talent to have.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    if Bud accepted a deal like that, I’d be pretty concerned because to me it would seem like he lacks confidence and thinks that’s the best he’s going to be. Allowing the 9.2 million to become fully guaranteed was a mistake IMO, especially if the rumors are true that we’re courting Houston.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Bud was like that at UK as well, talented but seemed to take bad angles a lot..now Josh Allen..that dude already has the complete game, would love to have him as a Steeler!

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think this is a pretty fair grade on Bud. Most here write him up at a complete loss. I'm more in your boat.

I have heard they would look to extend him in a multiyear deal for a "good" veteran wage. Probably like 4-5 mil a year.

He's not as bad as many point out, but as has been pointed out many times he doesn't use his hands well on the edge rush and doesn't bend at the hips well going around the corner.

Basically as a pass rusher the experiment is failed, but does have good quickness and speed.

Watch the tape he's many times one of the first off the line..

Only to be neutralized by the tackle not much later lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree with everything you said, but how does that make him good. To me he is bad for a no. 1 pick. His play at best is a 4th rounder and should get paid like one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    neither does Vince and he makes 6 mil..:cool:

11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    They picked him in the first round for a productive college game with ideal measurables and athletic ability as a project to be an edge rushing OLB. He never developed the pass rush expected.

It's not a perfect system. It's easy to look back and criticize for not picking better. As I've stated a number of times on here, look back at the draft that year. Just about every GM had a first round grade on Bud Dupree. So not knowing what we know now most would have picked him in the 1st.

Just like in this year's draft. How many of these upcoming first round picks will end up being busts for where they are selected?

Plenty. It happens every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I had a first round grade on him too. Bud was my final lesson in trusting the tape over potential at draft time. I remember arguing that he looked like a guy who wasn’t well coached in college, and that he’d take off with NFL position coaches teaching him proper techniques. After 4 years it’s safe to say that I blew that evaluation, as did the Steelers.

13. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I too had him going in the first based of his potential. I think everyone in the world new he was rough around the edges. I still believe he is a physical freak, but I'm left wondering if he hasn't been playing in the wrong position? I still like Bud better than most though on seem to.

14. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    He’ll be able to get a Chic-like deal next year. No reason for him to cut into his $9M this year, he’d be throwing away money.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :lolol:

:eek:

:hmm:

:shrug:

:facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
  16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That seems like a lot of work on the reply just to bust his balls.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nah85

Nah85 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I’m currently looking at guys that were picked after Bud Dupree and currently stars at their position:facepalm::facepalm: Especially Byron jones.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Some times it’s just worth it. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If they offered Bud an extension and he turned it down, the likelyhood of him being cut before the season starts just increased significantly.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If they cut him aren’t they on the hook for that 9 million?

21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    No way he is cut the Steelers are already short at LB and for all Buds shortcomings at least they know what he is and what he can and can’t do.

Steelers are picking at 20, none of the mock drafts I have seen have White or Bush still on the board at that stage. Most agree those two have a very good chance of being stars but after that is a roll of the dice.

With Porter gone and Butler taking over as LB coach there is a chance he might improve. It would be crazy to cut or trade him unless you have a solid replacement

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If I read it correctly, the 9 is only guaranteed if he is injured. Not an expert here, but my read from the articles was they could even cut him mid season and only owe for games played.

I’m taking this from articles like the attached link. See last paragraph.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000927958/article/steelers-exercise-lb-bud-duprees-fifthyear-option?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league;team%3Dpit;conf%3Dafc;dvsn%3Dacn;plyr%3Dalvin_dupree&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

23. SteelAU

SteelAU Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    I agree on your assessment. Also, I think that the Steelers HAVE to find a way to move up in the draft to get that ILB we need. If they don't White and Bush I feel will be gone, and Tomlin and Colbert will have screwed up getting that need in the draft.
    I think they blew it last year too, when they didn't move up to get Roquon Davis and the other IL that was a 1st rounder. They hoped he would still be there when they picked and they lost.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Did not know that. Thanks for posting.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That article was from last August and it refers to them cutting him last season. The 9 mil is spent now.
    "When the clock struck 4 p.m. Wednesday, Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker Bud Dupree became $9.2 million richer."
    "Dupree’s fifth-year contract option became guaranteed with the start of the new NFL league season."
    "The Steelers picked up the option in April. They could have rescinded it at any point until Wednesday afternoon — barring injury."
    https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000927958/article/steelers-exercise-lb-bud-duprees-fifthyear-option?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url=story&zoneKeys=s1=story&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr=around-the-league;team=pit;conf=afc;dvsn=acn;plyr=alvin_dupree&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=#fff&p.bgc1m=#0964bf&p.bgc2m=#053a74&sr=amp

• Informative Informative x 1