1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Free Agency thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 11, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I love it but I think the Steelers will focus on the draft now at LB

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Benjamin is fat and lazy, there's a reason he has been on 3 teams in his short career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't see that, the guy lit it up his first 2 years and then got trade to the Bills where QB was a problem. He had a short stay in KC 3 games, if he wants to play the Steelers could be a nice fit for a one year prove it deal.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    His rookie year was insane, he looked like he was going to be the next big thing. I don't know what happened after year 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree and feel he needs to have a good year to make money again and why not here? Also it isn't like we are getting him to come here as a 1 or 2 Juju and JW have that but as a 3/4 I feel he is a low risk high reward kind of guy.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’d like to see Clay Mathews in Black and Gold.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    your right dude,
    just wish steelers would have tried to make a lil splash that's all, like twilliams or jbrown..still confident in the team. with a good draft and drama free camp ..next season will be fun to watch.

8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He might be an upgrade by default at this point.;+)

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well with the signing of Moncrief we don't have to worry about it, I would rather Moncrief.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah because the first time he opted not to get the screw in his leg and this time he did. He broke a bone not a ligament. Bone normally heals back stronger than before.

11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Mathews would be a very nice get. We are clearly drafting at least one LB, and early, but you can still add Clay if the money works. The more complete the roster is at draft time the more BPA we can go and then you keep the best 53.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Never stated his bones would never heal. In fact, I am implying something entirely different all together. The injury by itself is not thr huge risk here.

What is the risk here is his age. Coming off such injuries and being 30 is not something to be ignored. For that matter, who knows how he is going to look come the beginning of Training Camp and nevermind the Pre-Season.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Mccullers back for two years? Does this guy have pictures of mt and Colbert and Rooney in compromising position with a sheep? :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They do have 10 draft picks with 4 picks in the top 83 selections, if they blow it in this draft there will be a huge backlash coming their way from the fans....

15. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    The problem being..... fan backlash will come in 'real time' vs waiting to see if players actually develop over a few years. :roflmao:

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It can come in stages. The fan backlash came fairly quickly with Edmunds and based on the available evidence so far, it was fair.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    was it? I don't think it was fair at all. Edmunds started as a rookie. Hindsight about a lb is just that. Troy didn't set the world on fire as a rookie either. Not trying to compare the two but the situation. Year two for Edmunds will show more worth of the pick.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't hindsight. I said it at the time. So did others.

Edmunds was a third-round value. He only started as a rookie because Burnett was injured. They passed on higher-rated player at another position of need, inside linebacker, and ended up with a guy who only started due to injuries rather than a guy who earned All-Pro honors as a rookie.

It was absolutely fair at the time and the results of this past season back that up.

19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Give him a chance.... compare their first seasons....
    Troy 30 solo tackles, 8 assists
    Edmunds 55 solo, 23 assists

Kinda hard to say either was a failure as a rookie. Don't forget, we gave away some draft picks to jump up and grab troy...... who's rookie season was a bit of a disappointment.... but turned out pretty good for us long term.

Back in the day, before this message board..... I was screaming mad that we moved up for Troy..... when we could have stayed in place and drafted Larry Johnson.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    very seldom does a rookie earn all pro honors. Some had Edmunds that high some didnt. That was the same for both players. I had Edmunds as a possible first for us given the safety situation here.:cool:

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Polamalu was a first-round value. There was nobody disputing that fact going into that draft. He had tremendous talent and he was an impact player at USC.

Edmunds was a third-round value, at least that's where most scouting reports had him. He has talent, but he was not a great player in college.

Neither player was ready as a rookie, but Edmunds was forced into a starting role due to injuries. It was nothing he earned.

It was the wrong call. Edmunds may turn out to be a good player, but he was still the wrong call, especially because it is extremely likely that they could have gotten him in the second round.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The whole colts defense made huge strides with their new coaches. I made a comment about it early last year. They all became an extremely aggressive defense and Leonard walked into that situation. Good for them and him, it was a good fit with the transformation. We didn't have that here for edmunds. Going by Edmunds college play is a little misleading too. He played three different positions for va.tech. He was versatile which was what we were looking for. I disagree about him being there in the 3rd rd. We can speculate all day about that but he's here now and I think he was a good pick for us because of our safety situation. Thank goodness we had him to start because of injury. We knew that was a possibility with Burnett. With the Davis move to fs, we needed the pick. We made it, end of story.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Does anyone have a number for the Steelers' projected free cap space next year? I'd imagine it'd be a pretty good number.

24. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017

Damn, I'd love to add Tate with Moncrief. That'd almost surely move JuJu out of the slot.

JuJu, Tate, Moncrief and McDonaldson is pretty good, honestly.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Good? That would be huge. The way we work though we will probably end up with gallded taint instead. :cool: