1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me understand Odell vs AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jares, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    So the Giants just traded Beckham to the Browns and got a first, third and a player in return. From what I read OBJ just signed a large contract. Now, are the Browns responsible for paying that contract? If so, how is it that the Giants could get all that compensation yet we could only get a 3 and a 5 for AB? OBJ is about as big of a distraction as AB. He's not that much younger. AB put up better numbers and is less of an injury risk. I know we were never going to send AB to the Browns, but they gave up exactly what I would think would have been a dream scenario for the Steelers. A first and third and a young safety (whatever you may think of him). So how is it that this could happen for the Giants and not for us?

• Like Like x 1
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Hes going to be 26 in comparison to ab being 31 at the start of next season. 5 years is the equivalent of 10 in the nfl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    While I can't explain it all I can explain some. Age is definitely a huge factor in it. OBJ is still only 26yo this year vs Brown being 31yo. That's longer than a lot of peoples careers the NFL. Cap hit is another. While whoever Brown was going to was only going to get the 12-13mil per year cap hit that was his yearly average they also knew they would have to renegotiate a lot more guaranteed money to him. So the unknown devalued him more. Yes OBJ has had bad press, but a lot of that came when they were a losing team so GMs can justify it as competitive spirit wanting to win. AB-sorry "Mr Big Chest" is having his dust ups and bad press on a winning team with an organization that is know to be fair to it's players.

Now does that still justify the much greater haul that the Giants received. Doubtful, but these are definitely big reasons why OBJ was going to be worth more than AB.

• Like Like x 1
  4. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    Because of a few reasons

1) Our Front Office is weak
    2) OBJ is younger
    3) AB literally used the media to screw the Steelers into getting any good compensation for him
    4) By demanding new contract/more money when traded to a new team.
    5) By threatening to quit if he was traded to certain teams limited where Steelers could send him

I think that about nails it. He wanted to stick it to the Steelers and he got his wish.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Who cares. Both wont win **** unless they title chase at the end of their careers. Time to move on Steelers fans. Steelers need to hit big in this draft if they have any chance of winning next year.

6. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    And everyone is also forgetting that the giants got a potential probowl player in peppers....... Steelers screwed up... Do not care what anyone says including ed douchetard and gerry douchetard... They are the only people that thought steelers should have done that for a 3rd and 5th rd pick cause antonio use to throw shade at them.... I know your not getting what beckam commanded cause of age and he has a full contract but they could have done alot better.........

• Like Like x 2
  7. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    They better hit big in the draft because they aren't doing s*** in free agency as usual

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree that the Peppers part of the trade is getting overlooked. Browns have lost a promising young star on their promising young defense. If I was the Browns, I would have traded Peppers and a 3rd at most.

We talk about how bad the Steelers FO is, but for me the Browns made an idiotic move here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

yea and the gibroni linebacker vernon was a horrible move....... I do not have much faith in steelers unless they sign that dude williams from the chargers to go with JUJU... I think he would make an excellent pair with JUJU but i can not wait for the browns to go 8-8 next year........

10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The age difference is big, but there are two other factors:

- as a PITA as OBJ is, he never quit on his team before a must win game
    - AB dictated destination 'trade me to Buffalo and I won't report', OBJ was willing to go to Cleve. When you reduce the number of bidders it becomes more of a buyers market.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    AB already got rid of the blonde mustache and has normal hair after getting traded, it was all a sham to look crazy to stick it to the Steelers lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. standupsteelerguy

standupsteelerguy Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Agree with the above. will also add:

everyone knew the steelers were desperate to unload him. that means they had no leverage to get a better deal. the OBJ trade was at least a deal where the giants could plausibly say, we dont want to trade him, make an offer cant refuse. The steeler's mismanagement of the AB situation kept them from being able to do that. They were a year late on this.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    You're forgetting that the Giants resigned OBJ last August for $40M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2018 salary + 2019 salary + $2.75M of 2020 salary). The giants are taking it in the keester worse than the Steelers by paying a dude $40M for 1 season.

Not to mention, OBJ is actually a 1st rounder who has performed like a 1st rounder, not a reach in the 6th round who happened to turn into a great WR. From a value standpoint, Steelers got way more out of AB than Giants got out of OBJ. Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    And we're all very grateful - it forced BBH to change that horrible avatar. :roflmao:

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Come on guys, stop trying to paint OBJ as the malcontent that AB showed himself to be.

This isn't complicated. AB destroyed his market, OBJ didn't and he's 5 years younger.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Because Mara, Gettleman and Sherman don't drink with me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    LMAO where is the video of OBJ calling himself with a dyed blonde mustache calling himself Mr. Big chest demanding new guaranteed money and that any new team would have to play by his rules refusing to go to a team he doesn't want to go to.

Once you don't find that information, agree with me that the bolded statement you made was ridiculous. Not even close, which is your answer to why the Giants got more for OBJ.

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yep I think we can all know what advise Terrell Owens and co. have been giving Brown.

Oh well it's all over now lol

20. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    What about this?

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/01/od...action-yacht-picture-score-dropped-pass-stats

Or this?

https://nypost.com/2019/03/13/odell-beckham-breaking-point-may-explain-trade-return-ex-giants-exec/

21. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    A.B will be 31 to start the season. OBJ will be 26. There's the difference. And OBJ can be a drama queen too. But unlike AB, he hasn't gotten into any legal issues.

That said, AB is on a different level as a receiver. Nobody can make the case (as of today) that OBJ is better. The production and eye test says otherwise.

22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You left off the biggest reason of all. AB acting like a jackass limited the teams that were interested in dealing with him. By doing so there is no bidding war. It was either the raiders or nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  23. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    I think I have that one in there #3. Do you see him up there in the Raiders press conference. He looks like he is drugged. All that **** he did over the last 3 months was a sham to get more money and to stick it to the Steelers. Mission Accomplished

He gave us some great memories and as mad as I am I'm ready to move on. It is what it is at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That’s some fuzzy math you got there :smiley1: