1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Early First Round Targets

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Jan 6, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with everything except the part of JW rebounding. The guy really wasn't given a chance, he was targeted more than 4 times only twice this season and that was 5 times both times. The last game of the season he was 3 for 3 with 65 yds. I know many were upset over the dive and Ben called him out blah blah blah but since that game and "benching" he went 8 for 13 and 140 yds. I expect a bigger role next year and he will show what he can do, jmo.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Who knows how old that 170 weight was. Could have been from when he showed up on campus or from the season before. The majority of draft sites had him listed at 180 or 182 for this past season.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is in play with these updated measurements, as is Adderly

• Like Like x 2
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    For what its worth, PPF has White dropping to 20.

Don't know if I see that happening but would be awesome.

5. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If both were available... would you go after DK Metcalf or Devin Bush??

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Neither.

Metcalf has no change of direction skills. He will never be a complete WR. He will be a better version of Marais Bryant. Not the worst thing in the world but he will top out as a really wood WR2.

I've been on record of not being a Devin Bush fan. His big combine numbers, while surprising to me, don't negate his very pedestrian tape in my eyes.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Two words: Kyler. Muarry.

If Kyler Murrary is selected number one overall, that is going to have an unthinkably, colossal effect on the entire draft. Him being selected is going to force quite a number of teams to potentially gamble on Quarterbacks who are not supposed to be in Round One; Daniel Jones and Drew Lock specifically.

Now, while much of this scenario is complete, how does he get past the likes of Cincy, Minnesota and possibly Cleveland?! I have not the foggiest unless BPA kicks the likes of Montez Sweat and D.K. Metcalf down the board hard. Should that happen, Pittsburgh might have a shot.

For what it is worth though, with the growing likelihood of Arizona dealing away Josh Rosen (this is also critical) and Jacksonville acquiring Nick Foles next week, this draft is shaping up to be yet another exciting one! Heck, I thought last year's was exciting. This year might supercede that as I expect trades like we have never seen before.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Devin Bush Jr. for me. The size issues do not scare me as much as others. The tape is still... questionable for certain. That being said though, I believe he is going to get better when he reaches the pro's than when he was at Michigan.

Metcalf is a board. All chiseled up yet cannot turn to save his life. The Wide Receiving verison of Bud Dupree?!?! :eek:

**** Update ****

Hmm... this is intriguing for certain. Will have to see more of his improvement at the Ole Miss Pro Day. Hopefully a one off thing.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Metcalf

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    So I think a lot of us would agree, post Steven Nelson signing, that CB is likely off the table at #20. Not impossible, but likely.

I think a lot of people would rank Devin Bush as the favorite now at #20.

I still think an option, although unlikely, is the Steelers move into the Top 10, leapfrog the Bengals and take Devin White. I hope not, but also a possibility.

If we want an offensive weapon.... i still like Hockenson more than any WR in this draft. Nor sure if he falls to #20, but I would be willing that Ben would love a guy like Hockenson.

My own personal favorite option is now S Nasir Adderly.

Either the Ravens or Chargers will be gunning for this guy but we can snag him at #20. Single high free safety. I think this is the key to get our defense back on track.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If Nasir is somehow, someway available at the end of Round One, I would opt to trade our second and one of the thirds to hop back in to get him. Now, you have two first Round picks. One is the player who is the closest thing to replace Shazier and the other is the best ballhawk in the draft.

Question remains, where is Sean Davis in all of this?! Maybe at the DIME?! He cannot be a Strong Safety for me as I would prefer if we not play musical chairs with Terrell Edmunds.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Free agency is still in play and if they do sign a guy like Williams from the chargers, I'd almost guarantee we go for Bush and move up for a te like can't in the 2nd.

When Ben can petition to get rid of an OC and AB and the owner loves him, we will give him targets to throw to. I am not to certain that if the draft and free agency falls that way that a RB wouldn't be in the mix in the first 4 rounds too. :cool:

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Unfortunately I agree that CB will now be off the board most likely. I'm mixed about this because we have a really good chance to get someone special and Haden is older.

If Hockenson is there, he has to be the pick imo. And yes I'd take him over Bush.

14. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    just curious, who of the guys projected in the 1st do you believe is "special"?

Honestly I don't think any of them are first round material. But I understand that CB's are at a premium and will go that high.

15. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    the more I think about it, considering that we just lost an All-Pro receiver, and considering how much the Steelers love Ohio State players, it would not surprise me in the slightest if they took Parris Campbell. Not saying that's my favorite scenario, just the feeling I'm getting.

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I wouldn't consider moving Edmunds to dime in just his second year musical chairs. So he learned SS last year . The more you can do right? To me where he started to shine was around the LOS. His coverage skills are weak IMO and while Davis wasn't that great at it either when he was a SS ,I still think he's better (right now). I would totally consider moving TE to dime backer and SD back to SS. Just a thought.....

I wouldn't mind Adderly even at 20, but Colbert by his comments seems to really be in favor of getting his ILB this year. I think if Bush is there,he's the pick. If not Adderly would be a good pick for now and the future considering Davis is in his last year I believe. We have no FS depth at all ,so it would make sense.
    I'm not in favor of trading any of our 1-5 round picks with so many holes to fill and being a deep draft for defense and WR. Two things we need badly.

The mock draft in my feeble brain has us going...(Bush is gone)

1 Fant
    2 Pratt
    3 Hooker

Assuming we obtain a WR in FA(Conley).

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Greedy "could be" special, however, I think he has some characteristics that may detract from his overall game.

I get that Murphy and Baker aren't elite athletes like Greedy, but their games are solid and definitely worth first rounders. Baker hasn't given up a TD since Moses wore short pants, and Murphy is as aggressive going after the ball that I have seen.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

I would advise extreme caution if I am Tom Bradley to Mike Tomlin about such a move. Continuity is key within any secondary. Moving the pieces would be counter productive all together. The whole aspect of drafting someone like Nasir is to add another dimension within the backfield itself as he possess a skillset the secondary does not have. The remaining pieces should stay the same as they would be.

In addition, discounting Terrell Edmunds after one season, rather two, of playing Strong Safety is unfair. I believe he will get better in time. Keep in mind that he was being rotated a lot at Virgina Tech and finally found his home at Strong Safety. Bud Foster, a very reputed defensive coordinator who has sent many quality defensive players to stars in the league, compared Edmunds to Kam Chancellor.

Should that be the case, adding essentially an "Earl Thomas" in Nasir Adderly gives Pittsburgh their own young and upcoming "Leigon of Boom". Adding in someone like Sean Davis would be icing on the cake should Keith Butler deploy more Cover 3 options with the addition of Adderly. Much of this would assume Sean can actually play the DIME position to begin with.

For me, having both Edmunds and Davis is a decent secondary. Acquiring the likes of Nasir Adderly?! That is what would take this secondary to another level. For that matter, that is what this secondary needs.

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Trust me I'm one of the biggest advocates of a true FS around here and one of the first to bring Adderly to light on the board...so I am a fan. As far as Edmunds and his coverage skills. That's why I said for now...
    Drafting Adderly for FS would force SD from his current role anyway. So how would that keep the pieces the same? Either way you would be asking SD to switch positions again only now to something he is completely new to as well as TE. Are you advocating Adderly starts at FS and SD comes in during sub packages? Considering we are in sub anyway I think like close to 70% of the time SD will see a lot of action regardless.
    IMO though you are still asking SD to now learn a third position that I feel Edmunds is better equipped to serve anyway. Your comparison to Chancellor is interesting. I'm not gonna say I followed his career path as closely as some may have but wasn't he more of a dime backer than SS? Didn't he basically create the position?

Agree to disagree.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  20. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    So now with us adding Donte Moncrief, we have the following WRs :

Juju
    Washington
    Moncrief
    Eli Rogers
    Ryan Switzer

Are we bringing back DHB?

I'm sure we will draft a WR but I don't think it's a guarantee that we take one in the first 3 rounds.

It looks like ILB is likely our first round target.

Secondary targets would be FS, OLB and TE.

Is the Devin Bush era getting close and closet to a reality?

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Don't forget we picked up white from wvu and still have griffey and tevin jones here who showed well in preseason last year.
    tegray scales who I liked in last year's draft at lb. He was good at indiana.
    All these guys are like extra draft pick with time under their belts.:cool:

22. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I still think there's an outside shot that one of those Edge rushers or one of those top defensive lineman fall that wasn't supposed to and we grab them.

Especially if a couple of those wide receivers go higher than we think

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Should both Bush and White be gone with Brian Burns on the board, I will not be surprised to see Pittsburgh trade up to get him. Florida State's Pro Day is still some time away. Should he be the final exhausted option though, he could likely be the player.

Tomlin loves versatility. That is hardly a secret. It got T.J. Watt drafted. No reason to assume it cannot get Brian Burns drafted either.

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Why? Edmunds is a SS and Davis played *much* better as a FS than he did as a SS. I’d settle in there and hope for Edmunds to elevate his game. He showed some flashes but was too inconsistent.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Are we going to pay Vince that much to sit on the bench?