1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Top ILBs in upcoming draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TarheelFlyer, Jun 20, 2018.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Here's a guy to add to that 3rd-4th round mix. Blake Cashman from Minnesota. Pretty good mover and reliable tackler. Usually finishes when he gets to the QB. Listed at 6'1" 235. Skipped his bowl game to start training for the draft, which seems an odd decision to me, so he hopefully tests well next weekend. One weakness is that he loses track of the ball on occasion. Especially at the goal line on a couple of these games. He had some shoulder injuries in 2017, but led the team in tackles in 2018.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not seeing it with White and Bush? Good thumpers, but not going to replace what we lost with Shazier.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    im not a big bama LB lover by any means, but i am leaning more towards mack wilson. i'd like to see what he runs though. :cool:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I watched 2 games of his and just about puked, the only thing worse than Bush would be Wilson...lol

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not sold on any of them but he seems like he could have more upside. Bush is another can't miss jabril peppers that everyone drooled over. I have a feeling Colbert wants him to make up for not replacing shazir. Big mistake I feel. I want fort back to team with someone other than vince. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Does the Devin Bush size thing bother me? Yes it does. Should it?

What can't he do now that he could do if he were 6'1? His arms aren't really any shorter than Devin White's arms. He's plenty fast enough and strong enough. So what's the big hang up with the fact that he's 2 inches too short.

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It's past history.

The list of sub 6' MLBs that have had success in the NFL is a very short one.

Could Devin Bush be the next London Fletcher? Sure, but the odds are just against it.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  9. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    When looking at Ultra athletic players like bush and white, I think we really need to consider their ability to process plays. A glaring issue for both players is diagnosing what they’re seeing. Elite physical specimen - ✔️, ability to tackle - ✔️, ability to react on a dime ✔️, side-line to sideline speed - ✔️, football intelligence - ❓

They’re converted rbs and With Crazy speed, but are they film nerds like Shazier? Are they going to progress in terms of diagnosing plays like Shazier? Ryan was clicking on all cylinders the year he got hurt. He was really developing into the QB of the defense. One thing I’m sure of, Physical talent only gets you so far in the NFL.

These interviews are so important. When watching film, Having them explain what they’re seeing will help determine wHether our first is better spent on another position IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How do you know? Won't know until they get a chance.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    In two seasons, 215 tackles, 36 tackles for loss, 13 sacks.

324, 46, 17, and add 8 interceptions and 6 passes defended. Coming to a field near you. I'm not discounting this kid yet. I hope he gets his shot.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Who? Your post has no player name, just a bunch of stats.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Tegray scales one of our end of last season pickups. I liked this kid last year in the draft. He was pretty good at indiana. I hope he can make some noise for us. Just threw this out there, that we have some other options here to work with too. He was in the top 10 of ilbers in the last draft. Not sure what happened where he went last year. He was with the rams as an udfa. :cool:

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

Steelers were at Akron's pro day and met with Ulysses Gilbert. Nice.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Gary Johnson from Texas might be as good as Devin Bush.

Come @ me :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    According to some reports, Kevin Colbert likes this ILB from Texas A&M, hence his solo trip to the pro day.

Tyrel Dodson 6' 237 4.6-40

Junior declared early, didn't really pop on tape for me. Seems like a 3-4 rnd guy. Doesn't use his hands very effectively. A lot of pass drops but tv coverage cuts most of it out. Seems to be a good mover in space, some stutter steps and lunges at times. Had two nice tackles vs Auburn sifting thru the trash but that seemed more of an outlier than the norm. Usually if an OL got a hold of him, its over. Just not strong enough yet. Definitely not a Buck.

17. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I like Andrew Van Ginkel from Wisconsin. Did not run 40, but tested in 6.9 for 3 cone and 4.14 Shuttle. That is impressive for the size, 6-3, 240. Jumped 38, 123.
    I also like Ty Summers from TCU, 6-2, 240, ran 4.5. Effort player and covers well. Jumped 36, 123, so there is some explosion as well.
    I guess mid or late rounds but gems imo.

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    David Long JR has some nasty in him, pairing him with Vince could give our D some serious swag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Washington's Ben Burr Kirven is growing on me as a mid to late rounder. On the smaller side yes, but if they double dip I wouldn't mind him in the 5th or so. 6' 230
    I know some others like him too.

• Like Like x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s on the rise. Some have him as the 3rd or 4th best prospect at ILB. I’m not sure he’s gonna last that long.

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hmm... intriguing.

Given all the roster additions Pittsburgh has added due in part to the AAF Shutdown, something is amiss here. I am not saying certain additions from the AAF like Casey Sayles will impede Pittsburgh from acquiring more talent. I am wondering if this is any indication Pittsburgh seems locked in to trade up?!

15 Days 'til "High Noon". Cannot wait!

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

OMG the last 2 days Pat Kirwan has been talking about him and loves him. A Steeler fan called in and was talking up this kid and PK went and watched some of his games and loved him.

• Like Like x 1
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    They haven't addressed TE through free agency or AAF signings either. Interesting.....

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We did bring grimble back and at the end of last year added bucky and the kid from YSU and still have our big brit.:cool:

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    All TE3 imo. Who were the TEs in camp last year that couldn't even move the blocking sled? Was that McGee? Either way I think they bring in a guy to add competition.

And I think it'll be in the first 3 rounds.

• Agree Agree x 1