1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bells a Jet

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 13, 2019.

1. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    This is amazing. As bad as Pittsburgh was screwed in the AB situation, we look good in the Bell one. Bell was bent over and taken for a ride, for sure. (sorry, I know that's gross lol)

2. uncblue012

Aug 11, 2017
    Dude lost a good deal and $14.5 million lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Bell rolled the dice and lost. He's a 35 million dollar loser. And a Jet.:unsure:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    i would love to be a 35 million dollar loser

5. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    This is pretty good breakdown from ESPN:

"As CBS Sports' Joel Corry noted in February, given the five-year, $70 million deal Bell reportedly turned down from the Steelers, he didn't make this new contract work. Since he was already in line to make $14.5 million on the tag, he rejected an offer that would have paid him an additional $55.5 million over four seasons. Not only did Bell pass up the $14.5 million from the tag, but the offer he ended up getting on the market didn't even hit what the remainder of Pittsburgh's offer would have been on a long-term deal.

Bell might respond by pointing out that Pittsburgh's deal didn't have the sort of guaranteed money he was hoping for. As I mentioned when breaking down the Antonio Brown contract, Pittsburgh traditionally guarantees only signing bonuses in their deals. Bell would likely have had a first-year roster bonus in his deal, which would have added extra guarantees, but the Steelers would not have come up with an offer that would have actually guaranteed the $35 million he will get from the Jets without totally breaking away from their typical contractual structure. As we saw with Brown, that wasn't going to happen.

While Bell took a year off and was able to rest his body from the wear and tear of football, Corry makes a good point about the aging rate of halfbacks. Bell essentially traded his age-26 season, where he was guaranteed $14.5 million, for a shot at adding time to his career and having a fresher season after his contract is up. Veteran backs on the wrong side of 30 rarely get meaningful money in their deals, and it would be tough to imagine a scenario in which Bell ends up getting $14.5 million for his age-31 campaign after this deal is up.

Corry suggests in his piece that Bell would have needed to come away with a four-year, $72.5 million offer in free agency to make his decision to pass up Pittsburgh's offer worth it. Bell came up $20 million short. "

• Like Like x 2
  6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He got that 35 million no matter what. That's what he wanted I'm guessing and to be out of Pittsburgh. He wanted a fully gurantee and not a rolling gurantee with only 10 million fully guranteed at signing. My guess is he thought the team didnt have enough faith in him to give that money up front with no incentives so he didnt want to be there.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That Pittsburgh deal was 5 years. I dont think he would have lasted for the life of that contract. I don't see him lasting the life of this contract. And factor in market. In endorsements he will probably earn much more in NY than hr would have here.

8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
  9. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Good, another ahole gone. Let's start putting it back together now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Great fan or not, the Steelers lose games like this every year. FACT. Truth. Reality.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. uncblue012

Aug 11, 2017
    This team shouldn't be toxic at least. :)

12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It goes to show you, sitting out of an NFL season when healthy is never a good thing for a player.

I think he ended up doing the Steelers a favor by not taking that deal last summer.

Roll with Conner, Roll with Samuels, sign a decent Veteran to back up Conner (not named Steven Ridley), and draft another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    People trying to spin this as Bell is the winner :lolol:

AB got what he want, Bell failed miserably. He wanted to set a new market for RBs, 17 million a year at least, he wanted a contract and guarantees north of what Guryl got. He didn't come close.

You can all cling to the guarantee if you want but if he wasn't a chicken****, he'd have nearly matched that in 2 years and surpassed in in year 3.

Epic fail.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Who's to say he would have been here for 3 years wasnt Woodley cut in year 3?

15. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    You really do come off as a me type for sure.
    AB and Bell could have been the talk of this town forever(in a good way) have statues made had restaurants have their own streets named after them on and on .
    They sabotaged and destroyed all of that
    Good riddance!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I woke up today and heard about this. What a great start to my day! Karma is a b****

• Like Like x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Correct but I mean that would be anybody anywhere if they ball out. Just like we loved them when they were here I see all the fans of the others teams giving them all the love now that they are on their team and saw all the fans of many teams begging for them to be there. We arent the only team in the nfl. Peyton manning may have 2 statues in 2 different cities when it's all said and done he already has one in indy.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Stop it. Admit it, he lost.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. FeedTheMachineFTM

Jan 1, 2012
    Manning is a top role model for the whole NFL , AB and Bell are no Manning and never will be

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He no matter what whether he plays for the jets for half a year, 1 year, 2 years, or 3 has 35 million dollars in the bank. That's what he wanted money to be guranteed upfront regardless of what happens. Not money that was contingent upon conditions. I dont see how he lost.

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Of course they wont. Talking about arguably the single greatest player ever based on the fact he's the only qb to win a sb with 2 different teams, went to every sb with a different head coach, and has 5 mvps with all the records.

22. FeedTheMachineFTM

Jan 1, 2012
    Imagine what he’d have become in Pittsburgh

23. FeedTheMachineFTM

Jan 1, 2012
    So why even bring him up

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And I will be the first to say it's clear he doesnt really love the game. He just wanted to use the game to set his future up. He will not end up in Canton and I'm just happy for the guy that he secured the money for his family and future. I predict he may have a few solid years but wont see the whole 4 years of his deal. But you never know.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats not what he wanted and you know it.