1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steven Nelson a Steeler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Heidi Williams, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    At least the Steelers are being proactive with this signing. Don't know him very well but it might end up being a great signing. He's in his prime right now he's only 26.

2. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    You're right ,they all hate Ben..
    Foster never says anything but good about Ben on his show and I think Pouncy said if Ben goes I go..I bet the whole O line thinks he's a good"team"mate ..

3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I never said they all hate ben. I know everyone doesnt. Just like everyone didnt hate T.O . He split locker rooms down the middle it would be half who supported him and half who didnt. But thing with ben is he is a qb. You have players who have been around the game for over 20 years saying they've never seen a qb point fingers and publicly call out players and coaches like ben for the reason they did something. Plus the oline is normally judged overall as a unit. Individuals normally dont shine inside of an oline. That's different at every other position. So they have a far different outlook on things than a hines ward, sanders, joey porter, ab etc...

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    AB won't be ripping Carr for his leadership skills, he'll be ripping him for his lack of QB skills.

You know AB pouts when he doesn't get his stats. Say what you will about Ben, but he and AB had a special on field relationship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelAU

SteelAU Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Nelson is an upgrade. He was the best we could afford.

It's better than trying to make something out of Burns. And trying to fill it in the draft? Crap shoot. And remember we already tried that with Burns and failed.

Better than nothing...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Oh I agree with that and how could they not dispite them not getting along? You have two hall of fame caliber talents. That's why even though it wasnt all together we still were a game away from the sb. We had an elite first ballot hall of fame QB with the best WR and RB in the NFL. What could have been smh oh well.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think he’ll be worse, but even if he ends up being as good as Wallace he’s a one trick pony that’s not worth a 1st round pick IMO.

8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Signing Nelson does not take corner off the table. Haden is 30 and in the last year of his contract.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Nelson comes from a defense that was shredded last season and he was as much a part of that as anyone..... his numbers were up due to being the most targeted cb in the league ..... we would be better off upgrading through the draft... burns was a reach after the Bengals snatched our real target just ahead of us. This signing was a huge mistake and another move born of desperation

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I agree he will be worse. Wont ever be an elite number 1 receiver. You need more than size and speed. His footwork is terrible. He was among the worst in the 3 cone drill. Hes incredibly stiff. Julio and Calvin were great route runners. They had great quickness. They could cut and get in and out of breaks like the smaller guys could. DK is not that. No thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    To be fair, KC's offense forced their defense into shootouts. And their pass rush isn't as good as ours.

I like the signing. Instead of having to come away with a corner and a LB in the draft now we only need 1.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Their pass rush was better than ours last yr. Chris Jones, Dee Ford, and Houston were better than Heyward, watt and dupree..

13. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    True, but we'll have almost $40M next off season from just letting Haden and Bud go + ABs money clearing.

14. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Looks like Nelson will wipe out a 5th round comp pick we would have got for Jesse James, and the Steelers still get a 3rd for Bell, due to the size of contract by the Jets. At least that's what's being said, so let's hope.

15. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Calling him out is fine. No problem with it. Going on a social media tour and absolutely blasting him is another. Ben's silence thru all this tells me he is a better leader than is given credit for.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Exactly ,,he's about team first

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He didn't have to say anything as hes in a position of power. Pittsburgh isnt getting rid of him no matter what.

18. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Do we assume that we aren't going to go after Greedy Williams ? All the mock drafts have us grabbing him at 20.

19. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Oh I lied, found another one that has us taking Bush. I know they don't mean much, but just having some fun :)

20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I wouldn't assume that but it surely makes it far less likely that they'll go cb in the first but, I still do expect them to go DB by the end of Friday night.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It's because he's a great leader. ;)

You might just be happier as a Raider's or Jet's fan. Brown and Bell are missing their #1 fan. :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I like the Nelson signing..he is young and getting better.. Having said that, another corner in the 3rd round or later wouldn’t hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree. PFF’s grade of him has increased every year. It’s good to get a guy on the upswing.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I admit, never heard of him before the trade but since brushing up on him, Steelers did their HW.

Good pick up, IMO.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Some of you really are suckers. This entire thing was about Brown wanting more guaranteed money and some of you are foolish enough to lap up his diva bullspit as if it was your favorite flavor of ice cream.

• Like Like x 1