1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Now they've ruined the off-season too!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You should be careful talking about the legitimate concerns of other people you don't even know, especially when it's you who lives with his head in the sand on shangri-la beach.

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Maybe it's semantics. You are 100% correct that it's football, not family, work or friends. Since I don't remember ever interacting with you before I will apologize if my choice of words offended you. I didn't call anyone idiotic, I said that to sit back and say that everything is going to be fine is idiotic because there is a mountain of evidence to the contrary. And since I don't remember ever interacting with you I doubt if you are one of the ones it was meant for. It doesn't really matter what the issue is, whether it's life, work, family, football, or tiddly-winks, to completely ignore the reality that is right in front of you and automatically assume everything is going to be okay, and tell people who see the reality that they are wrong, is idiotic. But hey, the world needs idiots too.

3. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

Please give me a break... I live in Newyork..... Love the steelers Love the pens and somehow love the mets while all my friends love yankees... in NY you could have honest discussions ripping the NY teams and people do not get all bent out of shape and are not so blind... I made a comment on the pens forum after they beat The redwings in the stanley cup saying I wanted to beat them full strenth ( datsyuk broke his foot in game 2 and zetterberg hurt his back real bad) and people went crazy. It was an honest opinion and a truthful one but you can not make any comments against the steelers or Pens.....

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

It’s a salary cap. There is no other money

5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You are correct all money counts against the cap but signing bonuses (guaranteed money) are prorated over the life of the contract per year. So by giving a large signing bonus for a long period of time you can potentially significantly reduce cap number for a player. In Bells case though I think the Jets are gonna be on the hook for 25 mill a year with salary and bonus so they will have a larger cap hit than the Steelers would have so it doesn't always work.

6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I never said you could or couldn't do anything. You can do whatever you like. I just find it ironic when someone comes to a team specific message board and starts calling fans Homers like it is a bad thing. I can be objective about my team and still absolutely consider myself a Homer. I wear that badge with pride.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not offended by your choice of words and was probably being a little dramatic in my response. With the amount of what I will call hate (for a lack of a better description) concerning the Steelers that I have seen here lately, I'm becoming a little more defensive than I should be. I guess I choose not to see everything as a dumpster fire like a few others have decided to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Let's face it, you summed it up pretty cleanly when you said it's football, not family, work, or friends.

On the other hand, this a Steelers board, not a life board, and as someone who has watched and loved the organization since 1969, where we are right now is a dumptser fire by comparison to what we have become accustomed to. And the point is, there is absolutely no need for any of it.

Art II publicly announcing that we would be getting rid of Ab drove the price down to nothing!

Colbert saying it was Ben and 52 kids alienated every player on the team, other than Ben, and will make free agents hesitant to come here and will make everyone on the team a just little more ready to say "**** Ben".

Tomlin creating a culture of undisciplined, underachieving, locker room turmoil will further turn free agents focus in another direction!

The worst part is that the guy who could have calmed all of this down, at any time in the last few years, chooses to pretend nothing is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    So maybe we have made unrealistic expectations as a fan base? Sometimes, I ponder this very question.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Now you are making less sense than normal.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And coming in from deep left field we have Tyler Christopher...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I believe there is absolutely no question that we as Steeler fans are spoiled.

If people were up in arms because of only 9 wins or missing the playoffs I would sound like Glenn telling them to calm down and things will be okay. except unlike Glenn my reasoning would be common sense. But when ownership/management continues to make or allow the exact same mistakes for years and then cap it off with the utter stupidity that Art and Colbert have spewed is inexcusable. People around the world, who aren't spoiled Steeler fans, are hitting the nail on the head when they talk about how dysfunctional the Steelers are right now.

And when you finally come to accept the dysfunction, you have to ask one simple question. WHY?

13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He just said he was happy to be out of Pittsburgh. Hmmm...

14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Just wondering what the Lions have done lately that makes the way they structure contracts the model to emulate? IF we had the records/ results the lions have had over the past several years most here would be on life support. Not disagreeing or agreeing with your OP but for me I can't even watch media entertainers anymore they are so bad. Its rating based, thats it.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    JMO, but I think you’re overreacting badly. The Rooney’s always get it right. We’ll win a bunch of games this season and be in the hunt as always.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Come on! You can't be this simple? There are no more "Rooney's"! There is Art II, and he has dismantled what "the Rooney's" established over a 50 year period. This isn't a one time problem like a player getting arrested or a coach getting in a bar fight. This is a 4 or 5 year slow burn ending in utter chaos and there is not one shred of evidence that Art gets it! Art is the one who has the control to fix it and he is the one who is either directly or indirectly responsible for the cluster ****.

What in Gods name makes you think he is going to wake up tomorrow and change everything about himself?

Other than "the Rooney's" history, give me 5-10 examples of what Art II has done to undo the mountain of dysfunction that has been building under his control?

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So far you’ve called me a homer, an Idiot and now I’m simple. You’re on a roll.
    I trust in the Rooney’s and you don’t. No big deal. Time will tell. And until we stop being competitive and in the playoffs most of the time I’m not going to worry about the Rooney’s.
    We’ll rebound from our most recent winning regular season and more than likely make the playoffs this coming season.
    All is good in Steeler Nation.
    JMO

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Let's add bossy and delusional!:smiley1:

19. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I'm no fan of Tomlin or Colbert or anyone in the front office (read my past posts if you doubt it) but a large portion of the problem, maybe not the biggest part but a big one none-the-less, is the players. They are a different breed now. They are as cutthroat as any stockbroker or business CEO. They are being brought up from the first hint of their talent to only look out for themselves. There is no team, there is only their brand. In college they are told it's okay to sit out the bowl game (if its not a playoff game) that the university and its fans are excited for. It's all about saving yourself for the NFL and the money. The fans, the school, and their teammates don't matter because everyone tells them its okay to think only of the money. I know a lot of people defend this by saying that a lot of these kids are poor and football is their only shot at a better life. Really? You got a free college education, here's a novel idea: use it! That way if, God forbid, they are injured they have something to fall back on. A lot of kids with no athletic ability would love a free education.

Then they get to the NFL and all that matters is the contract. Championships don't matter, the cities they play for don't matter, their teammates don't matter and the fans sure as hell don't matter. I'm not surprised that these guys act out and speak the way they do. They have no loyalty or respect for anything other than their contracts and the money they make. Where winning and championships used to be the measuring stick for good players, now they measure themselves by how much guaranteed money they got. What's worse is that they are told by everyone around them that it is okay to demand more money with no promise of actual production. It's okay really believe that you are being insulted by a 10 million a year contract vs 15 or 20 million. As soon as they were identified as a star athlete they leave the real world behind.

Bottom line: If the players, coaches and owners of the team I root for don't care about how they perform then why should I? This is the least excited I've ever been for an upcoming season. I even used to watch the scouting combine to see potential picks. This year I just don't care. My attitude is a direct reflection of the team's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    might be easier just to put him on ignore

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

You have not brought one valid point and i am coming from left field???

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I got no problem with him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    we both know the other is absolutely full of ****:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn