1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bells a Jet

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 13, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He would've got 33 million guaranteed from the Steelers, just by being on the team. He lost 14.5 million last season, just to get 2 million more guaranteed :facepalm:.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sure the deal with the Jets took this long because he insisted on getting more guaranteed money than the Steelers offered, even if it was only $2 million more. It's the closest he could come to saving face on this one.

Of course, as someone already mentioned, the taxes alone make the deal worth a lot less. The cost of living is going to be much higher, even if he settles somewhere in New Jersey instead of New York. Now consider that he threw away one of his prime years in a high-powered offense with one of the best lines in the league and he's going to a bad team with fewer weapons on the outside, a young, erratic quarterback and a lousy offensive line.

Bell failed and he failed big time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    You mean New Jersey.

Taxes may be the same either way though.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    But it should help his rap career being in ny.:smiley1::cool:

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Taxes aren't as bad in New Jersey, but it is still a higher cost of living than what he had in Pittsburgh.

6. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    For him to take that deal means he didn't have many looking at him. He is getting a hair over 13 million a year, I guess he found out 17 wasn't going to happen and he threw away more from the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    3% in PA.... 9% in NJ....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Now... we receive the comp. for 2020. He signed for less.

Pittsburgh has won this deal. As Blast stated, have fun! :lolol:

That being said, he gets to play New England twice now!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Great player. Happy he got the up front guranteed money he wanted. Deal though isnt all that AB imo got a better deal considering the circumstances. I think he'll have some productive seasons. I dont see Tom playing after next yr so maybe the jets will rise in 2020..

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yupp the only thing he actually won was because he got upfront the 35 million where as with Pitt only 10 million was fully gurnateed and the rest were rolling gurantees.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I mean I dont think we will be winning anything either but had he and brown stayed here I think we would have probably had a chance to win it all for the next 3 hears. Especially with juju coming a long like he did.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Well in his eyes he wanted it upfront. Not in rolling gurantees. I guess he factored in his possible suspensions lol. But all and all I'm guessing he just didnt want to be a steeler anymore.

13. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    And we'll lose in New York. they won't be a last place team next year. They'll finish at least 8-8 and second in that weak division

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This is where I would normally say that it shows how toxic the Steelers environment is that he lost $14.5M and took less to get out of that environment. But to go to the Jets for less money, even though they are poised to be better this year, is an indication that he and his agent mis-judged his talent. Teams like the Jets and Browns don't just rise up out of a 40 year smoldering pile of dung and become good overnight.

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    A franchise qb is the one thing that can make a team turn around in a year. I DONT think darnold is that good but it think Baker is.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It is but most would probably rather live in jersey/new York than Pittsburgh. The market is bigger so maybe that was his reasoning idk. Only thing imo that makes sense is he didnt want to be in Pittsburgh because though he got more up front fully guranteed money, he went to the JETS? I thought hed go to philly or somewhere like that.

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So did the Jets, when this idiot gets suspended again and it won't be for only 4 games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Really? You forgot that we did have these knuckleheads for how many years and a defense that couldn't close games. And don't forget we still have our great coaching staff.

19. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Great fan you are. We'd only lose to the Jets if they were to go 3-13.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    But we did get to the AFC championship with them. Our only hurdle really was the Pats. With them we only need just an above average defense and I think we would have won a ring but oh well its over time to move on.

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I see them as around what he said 8-8. Very bad division other than the pats.

22. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Hope the Jets actually saw him. Word is...he is the size a a large linebacker right now 265 lbs. with all those tough workouts the past year in south beach strip clubs. Best part will be when the league busts him with another drug test and he is out 8 games. His slow wait for the hole style will do wonders with a swiss cheese o line.

23. Illini_Steeler

Illini_Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Don’t forget to factor state taxes in. NJ is more than double. Doesn’t matter if the overall deal was worse than Pittsburgh he couldn’t come back because that would be admitting he was wrong. He had to save face somehow. Ego

24. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't understand how Bell loss here. He rested his body for a whole yr. Preventing the chance of injury. Which wouldve got him nothing in free agency. He got the guaranteed money that he had been asking the Steelers for from day one. It would've roughly been the same contract the Steelers offered .. if he had signed for 5yrs instead of 4yrs. But, only with guaranteed money. Am I missing something or do you all hate the person so badly that you're wishing the worse for him?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    It cost him 14.5mil to rest his body for a year which ia the argument i think. Especially on the basis of 'what if i get injured' as a worst case scenario. But best case if he had played lights out all season, how big would this contract be? Bigger than gurleys is my bet.

I dont see how you can think he has won here?

• Agree Agree x 1