1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Free Agency thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 11, 2019.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Hes been a pro bowler and all pro every single season hes been in the NFL including his rookie season. Hes been the qb and leader of that ravens defense since ray retired which remained among the top 10 all those respective years. He played for nick saban so his football acumen and IQ are there. Great tackler, leader, and pretty solid in coverage. Jets got a great player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'd love to have a mid-career Lawrence Timmons on this team right now.
    Maybe not for 85 mil though...

3. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    he's def a solid player but not 85 mil lol. never really progressed and is coming off one of his worst seasons. dunno man just don't think he's elite. solid player that's it. lot of guys played for saban and did not pan out that's college ball bro means nothing in the league

4. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Not every single player is going to pan out for him that's just a ouraegous expectation but a lot of his players have been productive. And stop talking about 85 million he got 51. He may not get all of that 85 I never look at the overall NFL contracts just the guranteed money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    51 guaranteed for an above average but not elite player. yikes. sucks for the jets. He for sure won't get the 85 he will end up cut after a few years. don't even think he graded top 20 in pff and is pretty bad in coverage. Lawrence mosley

6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    How does an above average guy make the pro bowl and all pro team every single season of his career?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    i don't think he made it every season of his career. he's not worthy of the contract he got. that's all i'm saying. most people would probably agree. dude is already declining and is just a tackle a guy 3-4 yards down the field linebacker. facts bro FOH

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You're right he missed it in 2015. Hes made both all pro and probowl 2014 and 2016-2018.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    The Cleveland Browns are poised to add another piece to an already potentially potent defensive front.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the Browns are expected to sign defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson to a three-year contract worth $36 million, per sources informed of the situation.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, you stop discounting the salary teams offer.

A) You have no idea if that player won get all of it.

B) It still counts against the cap and leaves dead money if cut sooner than the life of the contract.

85/51 is stupid as hell for Mosley and I wanted them to go after him.

It’s clear with the dumb contracts being handed out that the Steelers will again be forced to shop at the dollar store. If the rest of the GMs would wise up, they could put a stop to these ridiculous contacts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, I don’t think the Steelers should join the fray of overpaying. Those deals usually end up going south without paying off. That said, I DO think the Steelers need to up their game on the level of dollars guaranteed at signing to the players they pay well (but don’t overpay) to remain competitive.

I think this early frenzy has teams overpaying in both total and guaranteed dollars. The Collins deal is laughable, and not surprising when you look at the Redskins’ Josh Norman deal - another stupid overpayment. The Mosely deal is also far too high compared to his value. It tells me that the Jets are in panic mode in trying to appease their fan base.

Someone used the Gilmore deal as an example of the Pats being willing to pay top dollar. Go back and look again. The Pats signed Gilmore in 2017, a year after the larger Norman deal. Gilmore was clearly head and shoulders above Norman, and the Pats got a much better deal than the Redskins got for a lesser player, and better for the team than the Jets got for Trumaine Johnson (also a lesser player). They paid a lot, but they got a deal that was below frenzy-market pricing. I think they paid a rational market price for a top 5 corner. I seem to recall Gilmore taking less to go there. You won’t see the Pats overpay, but they will pay market. We will as well. Our offer to Dunta Hightower was reported as being on par - or better - than what he signed to stay put.

We do need to stay current with guaranteed money though. We are current on signing bonus dollars, but don’t make the salary guarantees that may be necessary to get the good free agents at market value (true market value, not NY Jet/Washington bonkers overpaying value).

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No only the guranteed money counts as dead money against the cap and it counts when teams cover it into signing bonus and stuff like that. Not just money left on the contract. And dont be mad at other teams because Pittsburgh wont pay.. and you just gave the reason why I dont count it. I have an idea that he will in fact get that 51 no matter what. I dont know whether he will or will not get the rest.

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Way off base. The norman deal was only 5 more million fully gurnateed than Gilmore. That's of course a lot of money but that's not a lot to say wow he got way more than Gilmore did and overall only got 10 million more. Isnt like how AB for example only got 19 million guranteed when Julio, Hopkins, Mike Evans, Odell, hell even BRANDIN COOKS got over 20+ million more than what ab got fully guranteed. Stefon Diggs who never even made a pro bowl got far more guranteed money and this was AFTER they had just gave Kirk cousins fully 83 million gurnateed so I dont want to hear the "we had to pay Ben they dont have QBs know big contracts" excuse. The Steelers just dont pay high guarantees nor do they go get any big time free agents. That was the first thing ian rapporport said in his video last yr when he talked about the deadline for leveon and Pitt to come to a deal. He stated Pittsburgh Is just a team that doesnt pay high gurantees up front.

Also at that particular time norman was actually considered better than Gilmore. Gilmore up to that point hadnt even made a pro bowl. And I still dont think hes all that he gets toasted and roasted a lot but bill belichick and his system gets the best out of its players. He got malcolm butler all that from Tennessee and they benched him last yr lmao.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Even Jesse James got 11 million fully guranteed..

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You can discount it all you want but it’s a contract and it’s real and they have to pay it as long as he is there.

Steelers are right for not overpaying. Look at how many of these contracts bite teams in the ass. So yes, I’ll continue to be mad at others teams stupidity.

I’m not sure you have that contract stuff right but I’m at work and can’t look into it right now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ryand877

Ryand877 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2018
    FWIW Leveon just changed his twitter background color to green.

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You're basing a big part of your argument on hindsight. You aren't giving Norman's play before the big contract the proper credit. Gilmore was not clearly head and shoulders better when he hit free agency than Norman had been. The difference is Norman went into a system that was completely wrong for him and his play declined while Gilmore got better after joining the Patriots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    We agree again :huh:

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    [
    Well ok... not by my hindsight. Norman is a zone corner, and is scheme limited. Always has been. I thought the Redskins were off their rockers. I also really liked Gilmore going back to his draft where I wanted him in the 1st round, and I then wanted him when he was available back in 2017.

I guess my foresight was better than the Redskins’ and more like the Patriots’ foresight. I can live with that.

20. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Jets???? Oh that’s awesome :lolol:

Best friend is a life long Jets fan, we have no business complaining about the Steelers.

This is going to be great :popcorn:

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
  23. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It's actually looking like the Ravens..... Barf.

A BIRD told me that @LeveonBell will be a Steeler “NEVERMORE.” Edgar Allen Poe can confirm. #Enigma

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They say his background is green. Could mean packers or eagles.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    By all means, show us the evidence that you knew all this at the time. Otherwise, it's hindsight.