1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~OFFICIAL 2019 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    It will be Bush.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Devin Bush Jr. for me.

Kevin Colbert has been on record in stating the team is looking for more takeaway capable college players. He never specified which position directly within the interview with Steelers.com writer Bob Labriola. As I am interrupting it, this is more so about finding said player early than spending the pick on Day One.

That being said, while having a player who can generate those turnovers is key, having a playmaker on defense is what he was indirectly alluding to in the interview. Prior to this, Colbert speficially stated he did not do enough to replace Ryan Shazier. As many of us know, Shazier's playmaking capabilities and immense athletic talent were sorely missed.

While Devin Bush Jr. is not quite the athlete Shazier was, he is not far behind. Speed wise?! Without a doubt. Everything else? Well...

Ryan Shazier:

40 time: 4.38

Vertical: 42 inch.

Board Jump: 130 inch.

Short Shuttle: 4.21

Three Cone: 6.91

Bench: 25

Arm Length: 32 3/8 inch.

Hand Size: 10 inch.

Height: 6'1 1/8 inch.

Weight: 237lbs.

Wingspan: 78 5/8 inch.

Devin Bush Jr.:

40 time: 4.43

Vertical: 40.5

Broad Jump: 124 inch

Three Cone: 6.93

Short Shutte: 4.23

Bench: 21

Arm Length: 32 inch.

Hand Size: 9 5/8 inch.

Height: 5'11

Weight: 234lbs.

Wingspan: 76 1/2 inch.

He is not that far behind athletically overall. Keep in mind that Shazier was not a block shredding machine coming out of Ohio State either. That aspect happened aa he began to understand the league more and more. Much like Bush Jr., his biggest critique was his inability to get off of blocks of interior lineman. However and most importantly for Bush Jr., like Shazier, both were praised for their instincts, versatility, athleticism and awareness.

That being said, do I see Bush Jr. making it to 20. Maybe. Will Pittsburgh have to trade up to acquire him?! Likely.

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If it is any consolidation, when Shazier was still active, Butler found efficient usage for him. No reason Devin Bush Jr. cannot do the same. Both are carbon copies imo. Major difference is while Bush Jr. is an exceptional athlete, Ryan Shazier is a transcendent one.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm not going to muddy the waters with other names at this point, since the race is so close, so put me down for Baker. There isn't really a standout cream of the crop in this year's CB class, but I think Baker edges out as the best all around corner.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm concerned about his size and ability to shed blocks. I don't think Shazier was as limited to scheme. Like you said, he was a transcendent athlete, just wind him up and let him go :lolol:

6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I believe the current votes are:

Baker - 2 (Ben There, TTF)
    Murphy - 5 (NY Steel, Steel NB, Steel Elvis, Turtle, SC Game.)
    Williams - 3 (B&G Patrol, TurnDown,Chitown)
    Bush - 5 (58 Stillers, Winggin, MyTake, Lambert, AQL)

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    How many successful sub 6' LBs has there been in the NFL over the past 20 years?

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Successful?! Like Hall of Fame worthy?! If not, there are some. Here are some of them I can name off hand:

London Fletcher.

Zach Thomas.

Dat Nguyen.

Stephen Tulloch

Only ones I know.

9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    How many successful cornerbacks have the Steelers drafted under Mike Tomlin?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Murphy and maybe a mack in the 2nd

11. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    can someone help me on this draft..where is the live thread and is Seattle passed already?

12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

And Sam mills

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well, NB did say the past 20 years. I was not sure if he was implying beyond that threshold.

14. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
  15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Just watch Bush in the Ohio St game that will tell you something about him when he plays vs better players. The other thing is drafting a player or not drafting a player based on their combine numbers is crazy. Game film is a players resume, how many times does a guy run a straight line 40? JMO

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

His Ohio State game is by far his worst

That being said, he has far more good games than bad. His best game came against Notre Dame. As I have stated about the likes of Deionte Thompson and others, one game does not define a collegiate career for a player.

For that matter, a team is not even looking a merely one season. They are looking for what that player did over the course of their career; showcasing improvement at that for each one. Regarding the combine, again, it is confirmation for the scouts to showcase what they already know in addition to any new information they could receive; good or bad.

17. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Who did Washington (Murphy) play all year, the PAC? He seemed to be a non-factor in the rose bowl vs OSU.

18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    My point was that it is certainly a short list.

Now I would be sick if we passed on Bush and he turns out to be what some think he could be.

I just think he has a few factors working against him. As I've mentioned before I didn't see that 40 time speed on tape. A lot of his success comes from when he is unblocked. I dont see him win a lot of battles vs the oline. Now granted Shazier played a similar type of game at Ohio St. I just don't see Bush as great value at #20 vs other options.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Going with Murphy. Think 20 is too high for Bush.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All year?! Best corner in the country. Granted, DeAndre Baker played better but his limited athletic abilities are a big question mark. Byron is just 20 and will be 21 when he enters the league. He has room to grow within his frame and can get faster with training.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    By what standard? I'm just saying Washington played in a weak PAC-12 conference. By my accounts, his worst game was against Auburn and his best against Utah..... it's really pretty difficult to evaluate based on the swing in the talent of their opponents. And for a CB, he appears pretty slow. Bush appears similar to Shazier coming out, so I think there's less to work on to make him NFL ready. Just my opinion

I think we can agree to disagree, it's really just a fun exercise in message board debate. :)

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    AQL I agree and all players have good and bad games. I am taking into account his size along with what I have seen and giving my opinion. We have a bigger need at CB since we have an open spot as a starter with CS being a FA. Yeah we can use an upgrade at ILB with VW and Bostic but having an open spot trumps upgrade all day for me, jmo

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    :th thgoodpost::good::dancing::applaud::drinks:

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes it is and it is fun talking with everyone and if you agree or disagree it is cool some take it to far, if is far more important to think they are right. nice post.

25. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Btw, NY STEELERFAN is Murphy's agent incase anyone was curious...

• Winner Winner x 1