1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers are #1 laughing stock, might be the wake-up call we need

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Go 'lers, Mar 10, 2019.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers made good picks with Shazier and Watt. Shazier situation is tragic and just plain bad luck. The jury is still out on Edmunds. Davis and Tuitt are average 2nd rounders. Dupree, Burns and Jones are busts as far as I'm concerned.

Hargrave, Hilton, Haden and Heyward have their moments but none are dominant, IMO.... like players we've had in the past (Polamalu, Hampton, Smith, etc). Williams was decent value for a 6th rounder, Foote 2.0.... but needs a player beside him like Timmons or Shazier to be effective against the better teams.

The defense has a lot of issues in it's current state. Obviously.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    As long as Dan Rooney's son, Art Looney, is running the Steelers; this clown show must go on. Looney's laissez-faire management style just does not work. And when he finally steps in it is too late. Too say there is no problem with the Steelers organization is so clueless and ignorant. I hope the minority owners are all over Art to resign. I'd rather take my chances with his son, Dan. Maybe his is like his namesake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Bad talent evaluators and bad defensive development.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    AB got his money from Pittsburgh & decided he wanted more. He railroaded the Steelers with his I want it now. You don't see this as wrong? What are they teaching kids these days? smh

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Sorry Stone, I am done feeding you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The money part I domt agree with him on. It was his stupidity for signing the deal he signed when receivers that are no where near better than him signed for far more guaranteed money. He smartly did get from under it but he should have never signed that deal deal in da 1st place. His other reasonings on wanting out are a whole different ball game though that I dont blame him for wanting out for.

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    The drama created by the team is nothing compared to the drama created by the fans. Some of the fans that is!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Thank God!

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    But there is a big difference. NFL team ownership/management are supposed to be smart and keep their stuff out of the news, fans are fans. We as Steeler fans have become accustomed to "our" team being the best at this and now the Steelers ownership/management has created an absolute sideshow by their repeated actions.

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It's no longer a sideshow, it's become the main attraction.:popcorn:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Can't you do a poll on this site? Go for it and lets see how credible your assumption is.

13. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The problem they have on defense is a 2 part problem. The first part is the scouting department, specifically defensive backs, it seems like they are stuck in the old NFL rule book. What I mean by that is they look for physical types that can blitz and play run support and separate the receiver from the ball as opposed to actual cover corners.

The other part is they no longer view game tape in the same manner, instead they use measurables. They look at the athleticism and potential instead of the way the players actually play and their instincts. That leads to occasionally getting a Shazier but more often a Dupree or Jones and you see the results, guys with enormous athleticism with very little ability or instincts and very little on field production.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yep!

I simply can't believe the stupidity that has been amassed by this once proud organization. TV just talked about how utterly stupid Art II was by making the public announcement that AB would not be in the Steelers future. In other words "we are getting rid of him, no matter what the cost, so let the bidding begin". You may as well put an ad in the paper to sell your house and list that the foundation is cracked, it has black mold, no insulation, the roof leaks, can't get rid of the cat piss smell in the carpet, and then wonder why you can't get a good price for it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I had no assumption, I was just ribbing on Glenn. I forget what the topic was, Ben or Tomlin popularity maybe?
    I don't know how to start a poll anyway.:(

• Like Like x 2
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It was about the Steelers being a laughing stock. Simple poll, pretty easy to predict the results.

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I went back and checked. Glenn responded to someone suggesting that they'd like to see new ownership. It might be a little early for that poll.

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    My bad, you're right. I'm not ready for new ownership.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    You really believe it is possible for any organization to keep anything out of the public with today's social media? There are cameras, places to publicize what those cameras capture, and someone unscrupulous enough to do it everywhere you turn. The days of privacy are long gone, and I don't care how "careful" anyone is. Hell, government secrets end up on Wikileaks. If you don't think organizations are doing their best to control this stuff, you are crazy!

20. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    That is a great question. But no, perhaps the previous 4 year wasn’t THAT clear for the front office to see. Allow me to explain…

I say that because a lot of what the team did the last few seasons masked the disfunction, or at least made it tolerable. In 2015 they had that wild win over the Bengals in the playoffs, then came up short in against Manning and the Broncos but we were without AB, Ben wasn’t 100%, and were down to our 3rd string RB. Still we took Denver to the wire and gave the eventual champions a run for their money, the team simply went as far as it could go.

In 2016 we were in the AFC Championship (unfortunately, once again losing to the Pats). Then in2017 we were division champs, we did have very glaring troubles with the Jaguars twice at home but leadership chalked that up to a minor setback. And finally in 2018 we were projected to have a first-round bye all the way in to week 12. But it was only then unfortunately that the drama of our off field issues were becoming to much and the Steelers ended the season in miserable fashion.

So no, I propose that it was finally this year (or the final 5 weeks for that matter) for the wheels to completely come off the rails before the front office finally felt the pain. Of course Rooney and Tomlin knew about our primadonna players, it’s just that our talent consistently kept this team good for so long. And then it didn’t.

The 2018 season that held so much promise ended in failure, selfish players publicly made a mockery of this organization, and the team was absolutely BEAT UP in free agency so far. I suppose you have to hit rock-bottom before you make the necessary changes and move on. Let’s just hope this team has learned from the last 4 years.

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The point you make about having to hit rock bottom hits home. It sounds like the story you have to tell that addict who keeps screwing up. Art has screwed the pooch time and time again, the question is, just like with an addict, has he finally learned? And does he have the wherewithal to bring it back?

22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Combined with the arrogance that they actually have the ability to develop these athlete types when they don't. Our track record shows players regressing and or remaining stagnant in their development. It seems players regress under our tutelage or not being used in a way that takes advantage of what they do well.. I honestly chalk up Watts success to having brothers in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And pretty much anyone who understands football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Those cancers grew on their own. Maybe they weren’t cut out quick enough, but don’t blame the chef. Blame the cancer. The chef has made enough other bad meals to pick on.