1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE Prospects

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Feb 25, 2019.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Thought we could have a thread where all the TE prospects could be discussed...

I definitely think they are going to draft one. They had tryouts in the middle of the regular season IIRC. When was the last time you've heard of that? Plus the Outlaw may be riding out of town.

I think TJ Hockenson is very much in play for 1:20. Even with all the defensive needs. This one pick would solve a lot of issues with the TE position since he can block and catch. Maybe it eliminates the extra OT coming in and I think RF can utilize 2 TE sets creatively.

If they go in another direction in round 1, there are still some good prospects in the middle rounds. I am having a hard time though finding one that is good at both blocking/receiving past the first couple. Which is why TJ may make sense as BPA.

In the middle rounds, I like Jace Sternberger from Texas A&M. More of a receiving threat right now. Here's a Redskins profile.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/1/19/18171450/jace-sternberger-is-the-feature-te-the-redskins-need

I've seen UCLAs Foster Moreau get some Steeler mocks. He's more of a blocker and probably could be had in the 6th or so.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/Foster Moreau

A lot will depend on what happens with Jesse James for sure, but I think we've seen the last of Xavier Grimble and they try to bring in a new guy.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Any of the top 4 guys would work. Smith, smith, fant, hockenson. If we get that first for antonio, I don't think there is a question that we get one in the first 4 rounds.:cool:

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Dax Raymond Utah State 6'4" 250. Add this guy to the middle round consideration as a more talented receiver than blocker. Seems a better blocker in space than at the line. Just doesn't have the footwork to get in front of guys for reach blocks and is overpowered at times. Much better in space, able to react quickly. Definitely much better as a receiver.

cowgirls profile
    https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...te-dax-raymond-intriguing-option-for-cowboys/

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Met with at all star game and good combine showing

• Like Like x 2
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Had this guy in my early mock, more of a receiving threat

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Where's the Bucky Hodges love man?

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I just like him as a friend...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Whatever happen to that kid from Iowa that was like the second coming of Heath Miller that the Texans drafted a few years ago?

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We'll I think it's time you get to know him better:hehehe:. Who better to lead us into the future?

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    C.J. Fiedorowicz. He retired due to multiple concussions.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm warming up to Noah Fant a lot. His blocking is not good, but it's far from the worst I've seen in a college TE entering the NFL. His potential as a receiving TE is pretty darn special. If a team uses him right - as a "move" TE lining up all over the place, including H Back and out wide/in the slot - he's going to be productive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    With the Outlaw off to the motor city, I think this should jump ahead of WR on the needs list but that's my opinion. I think they look more for a "do it all" TE now compared to a move TE.

15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It's not a good TE class at all.

For me, Hockenson is a clear #1. Great dual threat TE.

Fant is a clear #2. Really good receiving option who is an elite athlete.

Irv Smith is a late 2/3rd round pick. More or less average.

After that, complete crap shoot.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Samuels will be used in that role.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think the best way to groom Samuels is to work on his pass protection, and have him be a solid 3rd down back. He is already a really nice receiver out of the backfield. As a TE he lacks both the speed to be a mismatch for LBs and the size to be a mismatch for DBs. I don’t see him being a significant threat at TE vs. NFL talent, and he’s certainly not going to be used in line as a blocker. A guy like Fant would need to be accounted for by the safeties, and would help open space for our WRs. A guy like Samuels needs to work the LBs underneath while the receivers draw all of the downfield coverage. The former helps us much more than the latter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm just going by his use from last year. They put him out there as a receiver quite often. No I don't think he will be used as an in line blocker, that's just not his strong suite. He's got better hands than I first thought though and a better burst of speed than I first thought. Conner as well. Using him as a third down back take somebody else off the field too. I'd love to have fant but I see that kind of production for us out of samuel and grimble as well. :cool:

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I haven't seen a tight end like Hockenson since Jessica Simpson in Dukes of Hazzard, but I think this TE class is very polarized. Most are receiving/move TEs and then you have your extra lineman type who are just limited athletically. Only a few are competent at both, so I guess it just depends on what you are looking for.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Kahale Warring San Diego State 6'5" 250.

New prospect I haven't heard much about and I guess there's a reason. He is pretty new to football so he definitely has some refinement, but you can see the athleticism. If all else fails in the early rounds, this guy seems to have a good base to groom while McDonald and Grimble hold down the fort. Former basketball and water polo guy.

He's #87 in the film

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combi...ring-s-full-2019-NFL-Scouting-Combine-workout

Also an interesting article on the MWC TEs - Dax Raymond, Josh Oliver and Kahale Warring
    https://www.mwcconnection.com/2019/3/15/18264752/coachs-corner-nfl-draft-tight-ends

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Donald Parham from stetson. 36-1/8 arms. 10-1/2 hands. 6-8 249. not afraid to go over the middle. Big time receiving threat. :smiley1::cool:

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is the guy we should draft. His poor combine will drop him, will it be enough to drop him to the 4th? If he's there, hope they grab him. My guess is he doesn't last longer than 3rd, possible 2nd.

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

I'm definitely cool with getting a TE higher in the draft. I wouldn't do it at the expense of ILB, OLB, or CB though unless a great value player falls.

Vance McDonald needs a much greater workload next season IMO, but the guy hasn't been all that durable. With the departure of Brown, it's good to have plenty of options for Ben to spread the ball around.

A big target that can also run like Vance would be pretty awesome and add needed depth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Agree, but TE is more of a need than OLB imo. If they don't get one in the early rounds, that Kahale Warring has me intrigued. Not sure what round he'd go though.

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Looks like the Steelers were not at San Diego State's pro day that I can see. I think they are missing out on Warring. I bet he goes to the Bengals.