1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Brown traded to the Raiders

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 10, 2019.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He is getting no money out of that though. Its just dead money against the cap.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    One silver lining in this... AB didn't go to the Patriots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It really all comes down to this.

Knowing the ***** he was being and was going to be was really all about money and knowing the Steelers weren't going to give him more, ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you want him on the team knowing he was going to skip camp, skip practices, be suspended by the team, criticize the organization via Twitter, and be an overall distraction?

2. If the answer to #1 is NO (which to anyone with common sense it should be) and are left with the options of release OR a 3rd and 5th round draft pick, which do you take?

The Steelers made the best choice of 2 bad options they had as keeping him was off the table IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    But you are rationalizing what color of bandaid to put on the cuts you keep giving yourself. Yes, the Steelers might have gotten the best they could at the end of the saga but the Steelers caused this saga, not AB or any other player.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Am I missing something? Is it normal for a new contract to be part of a trade for a player who is still under contract to the original team?

Doesn't the new team typically take the player in and "then" negotiate a new contract?

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mitchel too, good riddance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought players weren't supposed to talk through the media and to keep it in the locker room :hmm: :hehehe:

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Good point but those rules don’t seem to apply to our team especially when a bad example is being set ;)

9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Mitchell was a problem on the field. The rest at least gave high production.

10. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I would agree that management ultimately has some responsibility in all of this, but also feel that AB and others are part of the situation as well. There are a number of examples where there has been tension between AB and coaches, players, media, etc. All of these interactions have contributed along the way.

I think AB has had a large personality for quite some time. I remember reading some articles a number of years ago where Tomlin was caught warning AB that he needs to be careful to not turn into a TO type player (a journeyman because of his own behavior).

11. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I know there has been a ton of analysis on the trade. I too have been disappointed with what is being received.

Overall, I am going to take a wait and see approach on final judgement. The more I think about it, AB will be 31 the next time he steps into a game. He also comes with baggage and a large contract.

The next 2 or 3 years will help me make a final determination on things. If he has average prediction through that period of time, then I would say Father Time started to catch up with him (not unlike many other stars on the wrong side of 30). If he continues playing at a high level, then he beat the odds and we got fleeced.

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yes, AB and Bell are both pretty extreme examples of asshats but .......
    Who drafted them?
    Who coddled them?
    Who allowed them to become cancerous?
    Who allowed the general dysfunction of the team to grow unchecked?
    Who allowed the AB situation to grow to a point where the Steelers are being made fun of non-stop for the worst handling of a disgruntled player in the history of the league?

It's like parents who think it's bad luck that their children are spoiled brats!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I heard it was reported that the Pats offered the Steelers a 2nd and 4th for Brown.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Really? I thought Buffalo was the only team besides Raiders interested in AB.

It's better that AB is a Raider and not a Patriot. I would have gone insane if Patriots got him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Steelers
    - Losing AB, they have a #1 WR to replace him.
    - Losing Bell, they have a #1 RB to replace him
    - Missed playoffs in the last week of the season
    - Made the playoffs the previous 4 years.

Steelers making headlines with some player drama? YES
    Dumpster fire? NO

If that’s a dumpster fire, I want our Raiders to be a dumpster fire too!!

that raider fan is right lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    why? i guess the difference with patriots getting him or not is AB having a ring, or not. lol

19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    ... yeah that and Brady > Carr. I'd be willing to bet AB doesn't get near the numbers with the Raiders, as he did with Steelers/Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Not for lack of trying on your part...….

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Carr is now on twitter trying to get bell to join up to be with AB.....

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That'd be a nightmare

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The difference between Patriots 2nd and 4th, and Raiders 3rd and 5th, is four picks per round.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He was part of the culture they are trying to change. He was the meathead standing outside the Jags locker room screaming you’re gonna know my name or some such nonsense and then proceeded to stink it up on the field.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That's what I'm saying. He was a trashcan. Both AB and bell produced better than arguably any player in the league at respective positions on the field. Huge difference from Mike I dont know simple football Mitchell. I still remember like it was yesterday him making one of the dumbest plays in nfl history in that AFC championship vs NE. We were in cover 3 with him playing deep middle and he bit on a FLEA FLICKER and got burned over the top. Football 101 you dont play the run in cover 3 as a single high safety. You play the pass and come up to support the run if the rb gets to the line of scrimmage. He bit on it the moment the play started.