1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre combine picks

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think the answer to why we wouldn’t go after him is that we’ve seen him twice per year for the past 8 years, and understand his shortcomings vs. the pass. He’s a plug and play significant upgrade for Vince’s role, not a replacement for Shazier’s role. I think we can use that kind of guy, but my defensive priorities are guys who affect the passing game (corner, safety, fast coverage LB and edge). Mosley is a Pro Bowler primarily for run defense.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I dont know if that's entirely accurate.

Mosley has 9 career INTs. He knows what he is doing when he drops into short zone coverage.

Sure you may not want him trailing a TE up the seam but that's not his game.

I think Mosley is a Top 3 MLB in the league.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    CJ Mosley solves a lot of problems. What surprises me more about the conversations
    going on on this board is the lack of talk about a FS. Sean Davis is not the answer.
    We really could use Honey Badger/ Earl Thomas type FS. And no I don't want the kid from Bama
    I saw enough of him against Clemson.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Davis and Edmunds get another year of playing together. A rookie and a position move, and let's not forget the carousel at corner does affect that group too. We also had the Burnett project going on. Way too much moving of pieces for any consistency to happen. I'd rather see one corner opposite haden to join the mix. Let these two coaches work with this group and sort this part out. I think Davis and haden bring some stability to this group. Edmunds with a year under his belt will also make a big difference playing in a more consistent environment. :cool:

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with the first part. I can't agree on the last part mainly because I don't see how you can judge a player from one game. At the end of the day you may end up being right but it won't be because he had one bad game. The whole D played bad in that game. Thompson is a highly rated prospect even by Bama standards. There are more than a few Bama safeties playing and playing very well in the league. Athletically Thompson is their equal or superior.....

6. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    He sure didn't look good against Clemson. I read what Nick Saban said about that he had a hard time
    game planning for Clemson's receivers . This tells me all I need to know. As many 5 stars Alabama/OSU get they should
    have a lot of pro's playing in the league.

7. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Mac, I am afraid I am going to have agree to disagree. We need playmakers, Sean Davis is not one of them.

8. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    His name is Nasir Adderly and he can be had with pick #20 in the draft.

9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I am hoping he is .Then we get Mosley in FA now we are on the right path. Still have holes
    but atleast it is a start.

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I understand your concerns but then there are no concerns about Adderly that make him a top 20 pick?
    Don't you have to factor in his level of competition? Bama safeties are all over the NFL and playing well. I can't understand 1 game being a deciding factor. I do understand its your opinion though....

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Colbert and company are concerned about the turnovers again this offseason as they should be. Remember the Golson & Holliman draft a couple years ago. Same deal. Otherwise I don't think they are concerned Sean Davis is not a ballhawk. I think they value "last line of defense" characteristics more. We were stuck with Mike Mitchell for a number of years and when did he actually make a play on the ball. 3 times maybe lol.
    I want to upgrade Davis too, but I don't think its in their thinking. I bet they give Davis one more year or two before they go FS with a high pick.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Pretty sure Davis is in his last year....

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    you're prob right, I forgot about that.

16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
  17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Time will tell I suppose ....

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I haven’t paid much attention to Thompson yet, but there are plenty of other games that make me question Wilson. Second round, maybe. First, no.