1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones (HBO) - Time to jump on board

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Finale almost here. Bad news: might be over a year before we see anything new.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    UMMM, Wow! Did not see that going down like that!

I hoped that's where they were going with the Stark sisters, but nice!

Fast forward on the Night King stuff, hard to believe that it wasn't a trap after that scene.

4. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep. All of it being a trap makes the most sense.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Please explain this trap theory.

6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    As in, let them sit on island until what we want shows up so we can capture it.

7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    That the Night King has been biding his time all along to lure the strength of the living (Dragons) north in order to obtain one for himself - taking down the wall shows why. While raising the army of the dead, they always let a few survivors get away to spread word of their existence, knowing sooner or later, the forces south of the wall would try to attack. A side theory is that the Night King has similar or the same power that Bran has, so he's aware the dragons exist.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ahhh... I had misunderstood and thought the reference was to a trap being set for the night king, thus my confusion. Agree 100% on the trap set for dragons. He had certainly been practicing his javelin throwing.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    was it foreshadowing when we see Tyrion in the hallway of the ship watching Jon go into her room? Like he cut a deal with his sister for her help that involved betraying Jon Snow but serves his queen.

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Or he's worried that an affair now serves as too much of a distraction...

Or he's joining Jorah in House Friend Zone (Occam's Razor)

11. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Or he is realizing that a succession plan does not include him?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd say he's actually hoping for this so he does have a viable plan if she dies....

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Just watched the last episode again...I don't have a copy of the one I watched before, but I think there's added dialog in it now.

The Sansa/Littlefinger conversation seems more developed. The Sam/Bran conversation is extremely detailed.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong though...

14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    It's been a long time coming. 5 more weeks!

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :rawk::rawk::rawk:

16. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Oh heck yeah!
    So glad to see HBO finishing this series. GRRM won't ever finish the books (which I have read twice now) so I am gonna enjoy the hell out of this season.

17. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Out of interest, can you bet on this in the US? In the UK bookies seem certain that Bran will rule Westeros....

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry, mate. I'm not much of a gambler, so I have no idea. That said, your lot across the pond will wager on anything. Vegas rules here, and I don't see them taking bets on TV shows.

Your bookies are going to eat it. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    so what? no new posts since the season premier?

• Like Like x 1
  20. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    What did everyone think? I'd wager that the budget for the dragon riding scenes was bigger than the first couple seasons combined. Can't wait for next week's episode. Looking forward to Bran reuniting with his old friend. :D

Lyanna Mormont is such a great character...she's always a scene stealer for me.

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Not too much to say about this episode. Just moving pieces around the board to set up the end game.

But I do have questions.

How the hell didn't Sam know his father and (YOUNGER!!! NOT OLDER!!!) brother were dead by now??? You mean, in the months that had to have passed since then, NOBODY mentioned it?

On that note, how the hell didn't Dany know that Samwell was a Tarly before meeting him?!?! Jorah just forgot to mention it??? Jon never talked about his best flipping friend?!?!?!

What was worse for Jon? For a second or 2, thinking that your Dad shagged his sister? Or finding out you're sleeping with your Aunt?

Yara, the Greyjoy we're supposed to believe is the most fearless and hardcore fighter, just plans to hide in the Iron Islands??? Ok, she doesn't want to go north to fight the dead, but she does realize her uncle still has a huge fleet and lays claim to the islands, right???

Why the hell is Bronn still in King's Landing? Why wouldn't he be traveling with Jaime to secure his payment as he has for several seasons now? And he KNOWS never to trust Cersei. I swear to the old gods and the new that if he follows her instructions, I riot. You mean after all this time, Bronn still hasn't grown one bit? He still has no value for friendship or loyalty? Yeah, he wants to get paid. But there's no bridge too far?

I'll wager that Bran will be the one to speak up for Jaime when everyone else just wants to kill him. What puzzles/worries me is... why was he staring so hard at Tyrion?!?!

22. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    Wow, that last episode felt like a tribute to those who are about to die. Seeing Briane become a Knight was cool. And it looks like Ghost is still alive, so that's nice too. Bran with the zinger at Jamie "The things you will do for love"! I think I could have gone without the Arya sex scene. I know she is an adult now but I still see her as a little girl so that was weird.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Just giving us one last chance to bond with the characters before they rip our hearts out next week.

It was a tad uncomfortable seeing Arya partially nude. But that's our baggage. Its hard to remember she's a full grown adult now. They felt the need (and possibly future story reasons?) to humanize Arya a bit since she's become a very cold, almost emotionless killer. What happened felt totally natural. And I read that they left it totally up to Maise Williams how much she would reveal, including nothing at all if that was her choice. Also, it was a bit of fan service for a large part of the fandom who've shipped those two for years. Which probably means 1or both of them are doomed. :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    Episode 3 Character Safety chart I found on Reddit. We'll see how much this holds true.

[​IMG]

25. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Interesting odds. But I'll wager Sam is 100% safe. If anyone is still standing at the end, it'll be him. They've foreshadowed for a long time now that Sam writes this history we'll know as A Song of Ice and Fire.

I'd put the odds of surviving the next episode as:

Completely safe: Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, Sam

Probably safe: Brienne, Davos, Sansa, Missendei, The Hound

Getting Iffy: Bran, Gilly (and little Sam), Jaime, Varys, Lyanna Mormont

Good as dead: Podrick, Gendry, Theon, Tormund (NO!), Beric Dondarion, Dolorous Edd

Absolutely, well and truly screwed: Grey Worm, Jorah

Surviving the whole series? Vegas declines to make odds. ;)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019