1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shazier's Replacement

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mcam, Feb 21, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's pretty highly ranked.2nd round. Played mainly inside at fla. but they brought him off the edge at times. He will be at the combine. One of the fastest linebackers in the draft.:cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

still like this kid. he's quick. can't wait to see his combine numbers. he arrives angry. :cool:

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    248 tackles, 26 tackles for loss, 5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 7 interceptions, 20 pass breakups. Colbert talked about college players with turnover ability. Those are TJ Edwards numbers. His time at this combine will be huge.

:cool:

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He ran a 4.42 at the combine. He's moved up into the top 10 if not top 5 picks, and if the Steelers would happen to have him available at 20 they'd be fools not to pick him up. He won't be there and unfortunately it doesn't look like Devin Bush will be either running a 4.43.

If either one of those guys are around, you have to pick them up. I'd be concerned about someone trading up ahead of us to get Bush if he's falls.

5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    4.67 for Connely
    https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/20...rds-ryan-connelly-andrew-van-ginkel-wisconsin

It's above the average which is around 4.75.

I got my ears pinned for Devin Bush in the 1st. I think the Steelers need to go after that kid if it doesn't mean selling the bank to move up and get him. I think that is necessary also as I think teams will move up ahead of us to get him if he falls.

The only way to replace Shazier in the middle is speed, and both Bush players have it this year. This is a glaring hole in the defense that is routinely exploited. Think they need one of those ILBs.

Connely would be ok for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He looks like a good player on tape. I wonder how much of an upgrade if any he'd be over Bostic or Williams though.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am certain Devin Bush Jr. will be available. Way too many players have catapulted their draft stock within the past three days of this post. This is not even accounting for for the defensive backs who will begin their testing soon.

Of the players who noe pique my interest, Devin Bush Jr. is now at the top pending on Byron Murphy's performance; the other DB's no less. Should Byron put on a show, he easily is worthy of a top 10 selection. That would push Devin Bush Jr. down the board.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Of course White would be unbelievable value at 20 because of potential. I just think he’s going to take longer to hit that potential, particularly playing inside run defense. I love Bush’s game tape. Many here disagree, and I don’t get why. I think White may have a slightly higher ceiling, but I think Bush can be more impactful right away. Anyway, whether or not we have to take one of those guys if available depends on what we do to fill needs in free agency, and who else is available. We also need a day 1 starter opposite Haden at corner, and a legit edge guy opposite Watt.

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't think the Steelers have another option besides Bush at #20. The only other exception would be Devin White who we all know won't be available then.

A 4.43 is not shabby and the guy is rangy and aggressive. Exactly what the Steelers need at ILB IMO.

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

I think he's exactly what we're missing. Need a starting CB though also. Might have to go to Free agency for that one.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

There is another option. Even assuming Bush Jr. is gone by then, go for a defensive back. Rather, go for one with playmaking ability. Players like Chauncey Gardner-Johnson or Julian Love would be considerable options.

11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah if the Bush's are gone there are other options, but I love his speed and the way he plays. The steelers could get away from their 'dime' safety playing LB position and get back to the more traditional package to be exploited less.

The idea of putting a safety at linebacker just did not work.

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Corner is typically slim pickings and expensive in free agency. I don’t see anyone there this year who doesn’t have question marks. Darby is very good, but doesn’t have a great history of durability. Desir had one good season that just happened to be last year. Of course, there’s not much available in free agency at ILB either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    You mean the “Devins” not the “Bush’s”, right?

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Bush will be there at #20.

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah mixed that up.

There are some corners that would be an upgrade for Burns. No one lights out but serviceable for the position. I'd be drafting a corner with the 2nd pick if Bush was selected with the 1st even with going to free agency for a veteran. Then a edge rusher with the 3rd.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2019CB.php

I'd look for a serviceable veteran at WR in free agency as I do not believe anymore we will get much for Antonio Clown.

16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

I don't see anything other than his height to be viewed as a negative. That can actually be an advantage to go undetected on the blitz. This guy plays smart and aggressive. Hope he's there and the Steelers get him at #20

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Running fast isn't the only thing you need in a lb. In 2017 Bush had 94 tackles but only 35 were solo stops.
    last year he had 79 total. Pass defense doesn't jump out either and that will be crucial. He had a very average game against a fast Ohio state team. I see him as Michigan's 2018 version of peppers and not as good. Peppers hasn't done a lot in clev. either. Very average for a we have to have player.:cool:

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This is true. Speed does mean something but there are other factors.

That being said, Bush Jr. is still a great option should he fall to 20. Nevermind his speed. He is explosive as heck; in both testing and tape. For me, he is an ascending player that, unlike Peppers, will fare better in the pro's.

If anything and, if Pittsburgh's previous two players are any indication, Bush Jr. just might be in the hot seat for pick 20. Too many comparisons from the previous two picks to not have him in play. Outside of him and White, no one else at Inside Linebacker is worthy of a 1st Round selection now. Beyond those two, too many questions.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

He is instinctive and reads his keys very well; better than Devin White and Mack Wilson. There really is not much he cannot do. Regarding his coverage abilities, I believe he can improve quickly within time.

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I love how he's sniffing out the screens. Hope if the Steelers get him that continues. We'll see I think Colbert even is showing publicly the Steelers are going LB with #1. People forget Derrick Brooks was undersized and was a beast at linebacker.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    David long jr. Has to be in the conversation too. I have seen this kid play quite often and knew he was good but the speed surprised me. I'd be all for drafting the duo if possible. Back to our base 3-4 with he and bush. :cool:

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Watch this game and give me your honest opinion, I see no help vs the run and one play behind the LOS. I am not a fan but am curious as to what you or anyone see's in this game that shows he is worth the #20 pick,

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    There are about 10 games available for Bush. The rest of them are good to great. He didn’t have a good game vs OSU, but he also wasn’t the primary reason for OSU’s offensive explosion. OSU scored far more points after he was injured in the 3rd quarter than they did before then. I had seen worse game tape vs. the run by Devin White, and he’s considered a top 10 pick.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He gets there unblocked. Ok so do many players. He gets there after others disrupt the play already. Hence his low solo tackle stats. I'm not sold yet.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well my point is this OSU has NFL caliber players if he can't do it vs them that tells me something. I was not looking at score or anything I was watching Bush and what I saw I didn't like, jmo. The oline pushes him around and he played on the wrong side of the LOS, I put more stock into games vs better teams than I do vs teams of lesser quality. :smiley1: