1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Early First Round Targets

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Man I wouldn't mind getting Christian Wilkins come draft day. Can play inside or out. Good against the run, and can rush. Dude is a stud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Not that he's considered anywhere near a 1st rounder but Pratt is from NC State....we did this already :smiley1:.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

A shame he is not in my opinion. That being said, a great combine might catapult him into the the First Round; possibly even if Mack Wilson does not perform well. Last year was the case for Leighton Vander Esch. No reason he cannot either.

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Thanks for the write up especially on these guys. I have been wondering about White and Love but haven't seen them. What I have read on Love I have mixed feelings, I have read he is quick and has good hips but also read he falls for the double move to much. Where did you watch the films on them, always looking since draftbreakdown shut down.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    YouTube. Interestingly I have found it easier to search YouTube and find full game clips on my Apple TV YouTube app than on my computer. It’s also great watching film on a big screen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah when I have time I only use YouTube. I’ve been able to find something on everyone I’ve been interested in going back years.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Hmm will have to check it out thanks bud.

8. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    If we got SF`s 1st round pick for Brown, I would rather roll the dice on trading it to a team we think will stink this year for their #1 plus more pick in 2020. Why?

We need to draft Ben`s replacement and this year is not a good QB year for the draft. The QB position is paramount as we found out painfully through the years and lower round picks fail more often. We have to think about the future. Note that the only Super Bowls we have won are with a 1st round draft pick. There is a reason for that.

9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Interesting take, and a wise one. Would give us another year to see if Mason will turn into anything while deferring our selection to when we might need it more. Hadn’t thought about that aspect.

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think there’s sound logic to your argument, but my counter-argument is that we already have a 1st round QB who has 3 SB appearances and 2 Lombardis. Not only that, but we’re planning extending his contract. I know Ben has his warts, but he’s a better QB now than he was when he won 2 SBs. It’s very possible to win with him again. The key is to build the right team around him for the next 2-3 years. Getting a haul of picks and using them to get a potential franchise QB in the draft does not guarantee long term success. High 1st round pick QBs fail with regularity. It’s my “bird in the hand” argument.

11. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    The thing is, when will we get this opportunity again? I think Ben may only be around for a couple years. It would be great to have the future long term starter ready to go in 2021.

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    There are a lot of unknowns with what you’re proposing. What if you trade the pick away to a team that you think will stink, and they rebound and you end up getting a pick in the middle of the 1st round instead of the top? The Browns were 1-31 the past two seasons, and I don’t think anyone envisioned them being 7-8-1 before last year’s draft. What if you identify a QB you want, but a team that you want to trade up with won’t do it? Maybe they covet that same guy. What if you trade a whole bunch of capital to move up, and your can’t miss prospect ends up being a miss? With all of the unknowns, the probability is actually not all that good that you come out of that strategy with a championship QB.

Now, if you think Ben is done, it’s maybe a different story. However, I don’t think we’ve seen any evidence that suggests that Ben is done. We know that he can QB a championship team because he’s done it.

That’s not to say that I wouldn’t trade down in the first if we miraculously got the #2 overall pick for AB. I probably would look to trade down up to around 5-10 spots in the 1st round, and pick up a mix of 2019 and 2020 pick compensation, including a 2020 first. I would definitely not trade right out of the 1st round in 2019, and I wouldn’t want all of the additional compensation to be 2020 and 2021 picks.

We can dream all we want though. The 49ers aren’t doing that deal. I saw on one of the sites that covers the Steelers (either Steelers Depot or BTSC) a thought that the Steelers could potentially get SF’s 2nd and 4th rounders this year, plus a 2020 4th. That’s a more likely outcome than the #2 overall pick IMO.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't think that highly of Devin White.

I haven't watched any tape on Polite yet.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    He's at the top of my d-lineman wish list. Hargrave is such a better player when he is spelled by another. The drop off would be slim to none imo

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Shoot, I made a mistake I was thinking of Devin Bush from Michigan. I don't like Bush. I haven't really watched Devin White from LSU. Too many Devin's lol.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They drafted Mason Rudolph to succeed Ben, he will sit for 3-4 years and learn.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I am back on an Ed Oliver kick today. I am feeding off the negativity I hear about him

Undersized.
    Strength questions.
    Mediocre 2018.
    Quit on his team.

I have compared him to Aaron Donald in the past. That's not to say I think he will be as good as Aaron Donald but I think the chance is atleast there. I dont see another DT in this draft with that upside.

Donald was 6'1 285 coming out of Pitt. Huge production. Fantastic tape. Dominated the Senior Bowl. Yet he still feel out of the top 10 largely due to the fact he was seen as undersized.

Nobody wanted to look at one of his greatest strengths, his leverage. This leverage combined with an unstoppable motor has cemented himself as the best defensive player in the NFL.

I also see Ed Oliver as beine a beneficiary of his leverage. We will see how he measures at the combine next week but I am guessing 6'1-1/2 and around 275. Some teams will see this as a detracting where I see it as a benefit.

Oliver is not as strong as Donald coming out of college and does not have the motor. He's going to have to work on these things. However, he is a better athlete than Donald was.

Oliver's first game in the NCAA came against Baker Mayfield and Oklahoma. Oliver had his ups and downs but he sacked Baker twice, both times out of the pocket. Easily could have had a 3rd. Houston upset the Top 5 Oklahoma team.

Later in the season, Houston blew out the Top 5 Louisville. Eventual Heiman winner Lamar Jackson was sacked twice by Oliver.

Both Baker and Lamar now play within the AFC North. Hmm.

Now I know I know. Ed Oliver doesn't fit our scheme. Tell me again what this scheme is that has been so successful since Shazier went down to injury. We have a big problem at ILB. We all know it. But can we add a stud to our Dline while simultaneously upgrading our ILB situation? Can a stud DT actually protect our ILBs from our run problems?

The more you read on Oliver is that he will not go Top 10. I still see talk of him going to Atlanta at #14. PFF has him at #22 I believe.

Oliver could have played for any school he wanted to coming out of High School. He decided to stay close to home and go play with his brother at the University of Houston, giving that program a real shot in the arm.

I'm not buying that this guy has any character issues. The incident on the sideline with his coach this year was overblown. I don't really think he quit on his team either even though he certainly had his eye on the NFL from the start of the season when he said he would declare early. Even if he did quit on his team, so did Nick Bosa and he will go #1.

I'm still in the camp where I would trade up to get Oliver if he fell out of the top 10. Call up Green Bay, get a deal done and leapfrog Atlanta.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's not close to Donald, no thanks. We have three starters on the DL already, fix another position on the defense.

19. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    You didn't want us taking Donald in 2014 because he was undersized.

I know Oliver to the Steelers very likely won't happen and of course we have bigger needs than Dline. But to pass on a high quality player or BPA is not always a good idea.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm very interested to see the prospect visit list for the combine. I guess we'll see if Oliver gets one. I definitely think defensive line is in play for a selection by the Steelers, I'm just not sure which round. Imo, it needs to be an interior guy to rotate with Hargrave. I don't know if I'd move up for Oliver but I would for Christian Wilkins.

I was looking at some mid to late rounders today, trying to get a feel for what's out there. Jerry Tillery is a Tuitt clone size wise but has off the field issues I believe so they may not go there.

Trysten Hill UCF is consistently the first one off at the snap but is slightly undersized too. Chris Slayton looks intriguing but I can't find film with good angles to view. Couple late rounders worth a look anyway.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would rather wait until the mid rounds for guys like Khalen Saunders and Daylon Mack.

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Man I wanted Donald bad in that draft. There were quite a few who questioned his fit. It's pretty safe to assume now that he would of fit somewhere...

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Mack is very interesting. Really liked what I saw from him at the Senior Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I like Saunders. He is ridiculously athletic for his size.....

• Like Like x 1
  25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    He's the guy that did the back flip right?

I watched one game of his on Sat. and he didn't seem to stand out very much. One game though. I thought I would've seen more of that athleticism on tape.