1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre Combine Mock Draft: Take Two

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Feb 16, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I get your point but he can get a longer deal next year while still collecting the 9.2 this year. I mean it isn't like he is 30-32 he is still young, he is a starter in the league and has 20 career stats someone will give him a multi year deal.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    True, i hope someone does give him a multiyear deal. Perhaps the nfc lol!
    I dont think he has the brass to test FA though. He knows its easy money here, pains me to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree this is why the tags and 5th year options are bad it really don't give the team a chance to sign long term to younger players. Right now Bud is gonna make as much this season as he has the 4 before combined. If I were a player I would play on this and then sign a deal. I am talking a young player like Bud who is 26. We all know money is what it is all about to most of these guys. It really don't make any sense to not play for this kind of money unless the team offers some close in a multi years.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Here's the thing - we should have a lot of cap room for 2019 if we simply make some sensible cuts and extend Ben. Maybe the team is figuring that it can pay Bud the $9.2 million for his option year as a short term bridge to a draft pick taking over in 2020. Either that, or they think that Butler can get him to play closer to his potential. Honestly, I'm torn on the guy. He has the physical tools (other than relatively short arms), and by all accounts I've seen he's a decent teammate. Obviously the best thing for the team is for the light to go on, and for him to play to his physical potential. I've just seen too much over 4 years to believe that he's going to be any better than a little bit below average for his position.

5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I so agree I mean I am not sure I have ever seen us with this much cap space and like you say with the right moves we could have a lot more. I think Bud could be decent but they need to teach him he can't rush wide and down field on every play. I also feel this is a major problem with our run defense. Bud has the speed and imo ability he just does the same move every time. If I were a team playing us I would run off tackle every time, it is an easy 10 yards.

I hope we do not sign him long term and he plays this year out and we do draft a kid. I know it won't be a top round pick but that is ok cause that kid from Oregon Justin Hollins would be a nice pick some where in the 4-6 range.:thumbs_up:

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They shouldn't have to teach him not to run the McDonald's path to the QB. His problems consist of....not being a natural pass rusher,no speed to power and IMO a unwillingness to throw his body around like TJ.
    He runs the arc because he has too. He doesn't have the power to bull rush and when a OL gets his hands on him ,it's game over. His best chance is speed and avoiding contact. He has no ability to counter because he doesn't have a proven go to move. They painted themselves in a corner with him because none of the young guys were given a glimmer of a chance even though they took steps to try and retain both KA and Ola....I still wouldn't give him 9mil. Let him test the market and come back to us . Worst case scenario we retain Chickillo,give the young guys a realistic chance and sign a OLB in FA as a stop gap. Draft one somewhere as well.
    Don't cling to a mistake. Just because you spent a lot of time making it....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I really thought Butler was going to be let go at the end of the season and a new DC brought in and Tomlin would make the switch to a 4-3 base, as much as a base is used nowadays...then the Bud problem would have been solved. You don't quite fit the system so adios. But you mention clinging to a mistake and Butler still has a job here :lolol:

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would prefer a draft pick at OLB, or a free agent signing, along with Ola being in the mix. Adams and Chickillo no thanks.

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah well,Tomlins hand in the D may have played a part and don't forget he has a contract ;)