1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre Combine Mock Draft: Take Two

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Feb 16, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello again fellow members of TheSteelersFans! AskQuestionsLater brings you my own second take of the 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers draft. For those of you who just missed out on the first take, the link for that will be down below to see!

Take One

Much like the first take, I will conduct a Seven Round Steelers Mock to project players who not only are going to be available by this point but to also provide an immediate boost for the team overall. Now, bear in mind this is simply my take on whom the Steelers could draft. For that matter and, for the respect of this site and its members, a disclaimer:

The written statements by the author do not reflect nor are shared opinions of members of TheSteelersFans Message Board, Staff Members and Site Administrator.

Now with introductions out of the way, it is time for begin this mock draft. As always, please sit back, relax and enjoy the read! Courtesy of yours truly! :)

Round One: Brian Burns: Defensive End from Florida State University.

Round Two: Chauncey Gardner Johnson: Defensive Back from the University of Florida.

Round Three: Dawson Knox: Tight End from the University of Mississippi.

Round Four: Terrill Hanks: Linebacker from New Mexico State University.

Round Five: None

Round Six (Pick One): Jalen Hurd: Wide Receiver from Baylor University.

Round Six (Pick Two): Dontavius Russell: Defensive Tackle from the University of Auburn.

Round Seven: John Baron II: Kicker from San Diego State University.

These seven picks now conclude the second take of the 2019 Steelers draft. As it was in the first take, it is time for the post analysis. Again, sit back, relax and enjoy!

Post Analysis:

Before I explain the selection of Brian Burns, I need to give some context on Mike Tomlin's history relative to the undergraduates age as that usually is a strong indicator.

*** Dating back to 2007, Pittsburgh has had 12 NFL Drafts under Mike Tomlin and will soon embark on a 13th. During that time, among the 13 players selected, only two were above the age of 22; Jarvis Jones in 2013 and T.J Watt in 2017. Since 2007, first round picks under Pittsburgh have an average age of 21.75 years during the time they are drafted, the youngest being Rashard Mendenhall when he was only 20 when Pittsburgh acquired him in 2008. ***

Now, why am I stressing age so much you may ask? Brian Burns is only 20 years old currently and will be 21 by the time the 2019 NFL Draft is over. Given his ascension this season in the ACC in addition with a frame that has plenty of room to grow, Brian Burns is the classic "Tomlin T" pick: young, supremely athletic but with room to get even better. In terms of the value here, much like Byron Murphy from the first take, it would provide both an immediate boost towards the present as Bud Dupree is simply not the answer. However, unlike Pittsburgh's "Cornerback Carousel of Hell", T.J. Watt is a star player who has superstar potential. Why not give him some assistance as both Brian and T.J. both support each other? In terms of his overall game, outside of dropping into coverage, something I believe he will not have too much of an issue with, there really is not anything negative I have to say. Even accouting for his counter moves and contingency plans when said moves do not work are already NFL ready. I would not call his burst elite but it is a great one. Much like T.J though, his greatest assest is his flexibility. This not only helps him set up his initial attack plan but also have a finishing move before getting to the quarterback; all in rapid succession no less. Despite his size, he is very difficult to move off the line in terms of rushing the ball toward him as well. In terms of simply having an all around game to being a great player, Brian Burns is ready in this regard. What is not NFL ready for Brian is his frame; hence why I can see him dropping this far. Much like Terrell Edmunds from a year ago however, Pittsburgh can start out Dupree and work on having Burns integrate himself into the line up via rotation throughout the season. Hopefully though, this time around, Dupree is healthy for this to work as Morgan Burnett was not.

Heading onward to selection two, some among the Steelers faithful could potentially consider this a controversial decision. This mock is under the pre context that Antonio Brown is no longer on the team. Given these circumstances, many would pound the table for the likes of Deebo Samuel, Hakeem Butler or possibly N'Keal Harry (assuming of course he is in Round Two). The issue with replacing Antonio Brown is attempting to replace everything he is. While Deebo sounds like a worthy candidate, I believe that, much like a running back commitee approach, a wide receiving committee approach can work just as effectively should the right players be in play. For that reason, I elected to go with Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and have held off the receiving based option in round three. In terms of what Chauncey can do for the Steelers, much like Brian Burns from round one, just about everything. Much like Darrell Savage, Johnson is capable of playing every single defensive back spot. Unlike Savage however, Jonhson offers more polish and can be employed and deployed right away in just about any circumstance; Cover 2 Safety, Cover 3 Center/Deep Centerfielder and Cover 1 Single High to name a few. While Chauncey has all the right tools to be the Single High, multi role player some of us Steelers fans want, there is a risk to him that could potentially be even more dangerous for the team; consistency. While Chauncey has shown noticeable improvement in 2018, his Freshman and Sophomore campaign's speak a much different tale. Some of this inconsistency is also shown on some of his tape; namely his game against Kentucky where he was wildy inconsistent overall. That being said however, Chauncey is still worth the player to roll the proverbial dice on given his versatility and ability to be a Single High Free Safety. Assuming Sean Davis underperforms again in 2019, the team can have the option to either resign him assuming he wants to be a Steeler or release him and give the proverbial keys to Chauncey; forming a new safety duo with Terrell Edmunds.

Among the receiving options within this year's draft, I initally thought it was going to be a deep and talented pool. I now realizw how horribly wrong I was. As I have been on record before, only D.K. Metcalf, N'Keal Harry and Kelvin Harmon are worthy on a first round pick. Beyond those two, Deebo Samuel, Riley Ridley, Hakeem Butler, J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, A.J. Brown, Marquise "Hollywood" Brown and possibly DeMarkus Lodge round out a class that is too top heavy for its own good to me. Sure, David Dills and Trye Brady are great mid round options but Pittsburgh should opt to go in a different direction position wise. That is why Dawson Knox would be a quality, if not beneficial piece, to the team. Now, to say this is my most controversial choice is an understatment for certain. For one, a career only showcasing 39 catches for 605 yards is very troubling; a career consisting of 18 total games doubly so and no less. For two, his route tree is limited and is not fully developed all the way. For three and, most importantly, Ole Miss did not frequent him enougb on an offense with the collective talents of A.J. Brown, DeMarkus Lodge and D.K. Metcalf. So again, why him? The answer lies in his room to grow within the position. Unlike some, I do believe that keeping Jesse James is not only essential, it is a must. Vance McDonald being healthy for a full season is no small thing. That being said, a quality contingency option like Knox is not a bad place to start. Even in the event that Vance does not get injured, having Knox learn the position from affar also benefits the team as the team could begin to deploy three tight end sets in the redzone. Besides, what is more difficult to deal with; one athletic tight end or two? In the worst case scenario that Jesse is not resigned and Vance does get hurt, Knox's best assest stems from his high character and resolve. While that does not sound like much to write home about, given Pittsburgh's ugly conclusion to the 2018 season, more of these players will likely be in demand anyway. Furthermore, it also means that Knox can showcase his skills much faster as a result of his dedication and commitment. Much like George Kittle before him, Pittsburgh can groom Knox into a very good Tight End without having to worry about the concern of losing Vance.

Much like the first take, I will not be spending too much time on the remaining draft prospects as their roles will likely be limited to developmental. The only major person I will be covering is Terrill Hanks as he is one of the best coverage linebackers in the draft to becoming one of the best linebackers of his class in time. As it stands right now, Jon Bostic is going to be a Steeler until at least the end of the 2019 NFL Season. Hanks can learn the game behind both him and Williams and become groomed to be a three down player. Keep in mind that the former safety is still getting accustomed towards the more finer points of the game and will be more benefical towards coverage. While he will not likely see much action, he will likely be called upon to be subbed in on passing downs to further aid in his development while performing the tried and true development that is Special Teams.

As for the likes of Jalen Hurd and Dontavius Russell, much like Trye Brady and Neville Gallimore from the first take, developmental. Hurd can actually kick into a slot role much quicker than Brady could considering that, in this mock, AB is no longer on the team. Considering that is still new to the position, having a big slot target will cause some mismatch issues. For Dontavius, a run stuffing speicalist to spell Javon. He does offer some penetrating abilities but nothing to write home about. My only consistent pick from the firsr take in Johm Baron II remains here as he is essentially a challenge to Cris Boswell.

The second take is nearing completion. Before this is all said and done, it is time to address some possible concerns within the mock. To do that, we go to the final notes.

Final Notes:

To say this team desperately needs cornerback help is an understatement. Even under the assumption that Artie Burns can bounce back somehow, the team still needs to plan on its future as Joe Haden cannot sustain his level of play for much longer; hence why the first pick is likely to draw ire in it of itself and no corner selection at all. In this mock, the reason there was no cornerback selection is because Pittsburgh has gone after one in Free Agency before the draft; a quality one at that. While Pittsburgh has not been the team that splurges, keep in mind that there really is little time remaining for Big Ben. Would Colbert and Tomlin truly trust a rookie corner to start right away?! They tried that with Artie and it backfired. For that purpose, in this mock, Brian Burns was the selection for pick one. If anything, among the issues Pittsburgh has on defense right now, outside linebacking depth is quite the underrated one if not the most underrated one at present. Dupree has also been a disappointment and will likely either opt out of Pittsburgh or stay. Either way, an elite pass rush is essential in today's NFL; having two stud bookends no less.

Regarding the selection of Chauncey, this one is more self explanatory than some make it out to be. Each season has an issue that arises for a team. The first three picks act as not just augmentations but upgrades to mitigate or solve these issues. For Pittsburgh, generating turnovers was a massive issue. Chaucney's selection means that the team has not only humbly conceded the fact that Sean Davis is not the answer as the Single High Free Safety some thought he would be but also gives the team the player that is one who could be potentially great.

As for the remaining five players, much of their reasoning were already stated within their respective analyses. Aa such, reiterating much of the same points do not assist their arguments any more than I already have. I understand some may even still vouch for a Wide Receiver over Dawson in Round Three but among the receivers who can come close to replicating AB's abilities in Deebo Samuel will likely be long gone by then. Furthermore, Ben has historically loved his safety valves. Having the option of two on the field simultaneously increases the matchup issues.

Closing Statments:

This concludes "Take Two" of the Pre Combine Mock Draft! Unlike the first one, I decided to bite the bullet a bit more this time around. Given Tomlin and Colbert's drafr history together, there is bound to be a controversial pick within the first three rounds. Depending on one's outlook though, this mock has two. Be that as it may, this has not stopped those two before. Much like last time though, what are your thoughts on this mock? Did you like it? Not like it? What would you have done differently? Please let me know in the comments as it does help me out!

Once again, thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed! "Take Two" was still within the paradigm of thinking on what Pittsburgh could do in the draft but carried a bit more risk it. Do not worry though! "Take Three" is going to be far more interesting than the first two. That being said, I will need more preparation for that one as I am still in the process of finalizing the analysis of that one. It will be worth the read come Monday so you do not want to miss it!

Until next time everyone, take care and have a good day! I hope to see you all again in "Take Three" which will debut on Monday! Once again, so long everyone! :)

Go Steelers!!! :herewego:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No to hurd. He has been a punk since high school. He is another me player plus injury prone

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Marquis Brown has been mentioned as a first round pick, he's expected to run fast at the combine.

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He's on the fringe of the 1st round. Definitely has star potential. However, he is undersized and without a doubt a future diva.

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If he runs a 4.3, he could go in the first round, I heard some draft analysts mention him as a first rounder. It worked for John Ross running real fast at the combine. I don't want him on the Steelers though, he's like 165 lbs and AB cousin.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I love the burns pick.:cool:

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m guessing you’re not referring to recent history... :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We won't have to change the name plate, just put it on a different jersey.:smiley1::cool:

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He can kiss the 1st round goodbye now. He had surgery for a Lisfranc injury.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah that's going to drop him in the draft, his speed is his best asset, and to miss the combine and pro day not good.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just don't think they go OLB in round 1. Not with giving Dupree 9mil a year. (dumb move by Colbert if in fact they do). Now if Dupree leaves then different story but....

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/02/c...ifth-year-option-in-2019-worth-9-232-million/ ( I see this story came out after your post though)

I do like Hanks in round 4. I also think they draft a special teamer but I think they go punter instead.

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Are you effin kidding me wtf is Colbert thinking and where are all them posters that pretty much Guaranteed Dud would not be playing for us at this number??? This is the dumbest decision why pay him 9 mil and let him go why not cut ties and try to use that money to get a GOOD OLB in FA? Man this is gonna be a long off season that is for sure...........

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    :facepalm: I hear ya... It’s a good year for edge guys in free agency, but let’s stay with the guy who hasn’t figured it out after 4 years In the system, and do it for 9.2 million guaranteed. Preston Smith. Shaq Barrett. Z’darius Smith. All better than Bud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I feel like I was punched in the gut I just can't believe what I read.....omg! :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Doesn't surprise me a bit. Probably stay with Vince too.:cool:

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Hanks tests well, I doubt he would be there in round 4, some mocks I saw had going in round 3.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    agree, I think round 3 will be his spot

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I posted in a couple threads that I didn't think Bud was going anywhere. I don't care for him, but the Steelers view him in another light.

This doesn't mean the 9mil is what they will finally pay, reading between the lines I think they try to get a better deal financially but he was saying that the 5th year option is not out of the realm of possibility money wise I guess.

If they do sign Bud before the draft to whatever amount, then I'm taking OLB out of the draft possibilities until round 6 or 7 which would basically amount to a special teamer guy. And really I think they don't even draft one unless there's a guy they love in those last 2 rounds.

They bring Ola back over Matt Thomas, where ILB is woefully thin. That tells me they have plans for him and they also pay a premium PS pay to Keion Adams which tells me they like what they see and don't want him poached. Even if they lose Chick, you would have Watt, Dupree, Ola and Adams. They carried 3 on the roster all last year.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If they wait until round 6 or 7 to draft a OLB, that would be a mistake, I'm not sold on Adams ever being a contributor.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I can't remember what thread it was or who the posters were but there were a few that said the knew we wouldn't be paying him 9 mil. I agree the Steelers view him way different than a lot of us which makes we wonder what they see. Bud has been a starter for us and I get it but there are so many holes in his game. I am totally shocked that the Steelers are willing to spend that kind of money on him, especially with the FA class that is out there this year.

Think about this for a second, people talk about how bad our defense is yet 4 of out top 7 highest paid players are on defense. Cam 14.9(3rd), Tuitt 13.6(4th), Haden 11.9(6th) and Dupree 9.2(7th). I will say this why would Dupree sign a deal for less than 9 mil when he knows he has this money in the bank and will hit FA next year, there is no incentive for him to sign unless it is a big contract.

I agree what they decide with Bud will affect what we do in the draft at this position. To be honest I was just starting to get on the Brian Burns bandwagon. Now it looks like that won't happen and like you say might not even draft one...........:facepalm:

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Well they paid him a premium price a la Finney to keep him from being poached off the PS. Speed off the edge is what he brings.

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    He would sign if its for a longer term deal. He knows his stats as well as we do, so if he can get a longer term deal ie security, why would he go to another team. Just my take