1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NB Top 32 Pre-Combine

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Feb 17, 2019.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Here is my top 32 players in the NFL Draft - Pre-Combine. This is of course based on college play and Senior Bowl practice and game performance. I have also made assumptions on how I think players will do at the Combine/Pro Days.

This is not a mock draft. These are not from any Steeler perspective. These are simply, in my mind, who I think are the best 32 players in the draft.

1. DE Nick Bosa, Ohio St
    2. DT Ed Oliver, Houston
    3. DE Josh Allen, Kentucky
    4. DT Quinnen Williams, Alabama
    5. DT Christian Wilkins, Clemson
    6. DE Clelin Ferrell, Clemson
    7. OT Jonah Williams, Alabama
    8. LB Devin White, LSU
    9. CB Byron Murphy, Washington
    10. CB DeAndre Baker, Georgia
    11. DE Rashan Gary, Michigan
    12. OT Jawaan Taylor, Florida
    13. OG Cody Ford, Oklahoma
    14. DE Montez Sweat, Miss St
    15. OLB Jachai Polite, Florida
    16. WR AJ Brown, Ole Miss
    17. DT Dexter Lawrence, Clemsom
    18. TE TJ Hockenson, Iowa
    19. LB Germain Pratt, NC State
    20. S Nasir Adderly, Delaware
    21. S Deionte Thompson, Alabama
    22. S Jonathan Abram, Miss St
    23. RB Josh Jacobs, Alabama
    24. WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Stanford
    25. WR DK Metcalf, Ole Miss
    26. QB Dwayne Haskins , Ohio St
    27. OT Greg Little, Ole Miss
    28. OT Andrew Dillard, Washington St
    29. OT Dalton Risner, Kansas St
    30. CB Greedy Williams, LSU
    31. DE Zack Allen, Boston College
    32. DT Dre'Mont Jones, Ohio St

Missing the Cut:

DE Brian Burns, Florida St
    TE Noah Fant, Iowa
    WR Marquise Brown, Oklahoma
    LB Mack Wilson, Alabama
    LB Devin Bush, Michigan
    CB Trayvon Mullen, Clemson
    WR Deebo Samuels, South Carolina

*Note* Based off pure talent, I would have had DT Jeffrey Simmons (Miss St) as a top 15 pick. But due to off field issue and now torn ACL, he is likely a Day 3 pick.

• Like Like x 2
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Good list,, if the Steelers could get #19 or #20 from your list I would be happy.

3. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I've said in previous drafts that I am pretty confident we are going to get a great player. But the Burns and Edmunds picks were big surprises.

Between CBs like Murphy and Baker, Adderly and Pratt, we should be able to get one of those 4. Then there are edge guys like Sweat, Polite, and maybe even Burns.

If we go with another off the board pick this year, I may go look for a tall bridge.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Great list NB!!

Have to say, first time I have ever seen Quinnen not in the top three of any Draft Big Board. General consensus is that he is the second best or even possibly the best player in the draft. Christian being that high also caught me off guard for certain. Biggest one was AJ Brown.

Agree about Dwayne Haskins. Why so many people are getting his stock so inflated is beyond me. Same goes for Greedy. Even if he blows up the combine, there are far too many red flags with him.

Like the rest though. I will have mine up tomorrow!

5. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm obviously much higher on Ed Oliver than most. I think his ceiling is alot higher than Williams.

I thought Christian Wilkins was going to come out last year and had him as a Top 15 guy. I think he proved this year what kind of a stud he is going to be.

I like the size and route running of AJ Brown. I think he is the best overall WR, although I acknowledge his ceiling may not be as high as some of the others.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I haven’t watche enough guys yet this offseason to have a top 32, but one guy that I would definitely have on it (probably in the top 20) that you’ve omitted is Jerry Tillery. He offers a lot as an interior pass rusher, and as a result may be a better Pro than college player. His game is tailor made for pressuring NFL pocket passers.

7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I see you're crushing on Christian Wilkins, as am I.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hard for me to see dre'mont as a top 32 player. :cool:

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Only one QB in that list which I would agree with. Kinda sucks because you always hope 2 or 3 QBs go before your pick when you don't need one. I don't think Murray goes round 1 but hopefully Haskins and possibly Lock go in the first 19. Push another player to us.

10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I actually think you might see 4 QBs go in the Top 19 which would be just outstanding for us.

I think Haskins definitely goes Top 15, likely to the Giants or Jaguars.

Murray is a wildcard but some team will always fall in love with that type of QB.

Many reports that the Broncos are in love with Drew Lock.

Don't think it would be insane that the Jones kid from Duke also sneaks in there. Teams that don't have a QB are always desperate to take a shot at finding one.

This could be similar to 2011 when the likes of Locker, Gabbert and Ponder all got pushed into the Top 15 even though none of them deserved it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    @SteelCity_NB nice list thanks for sharing. I have heard and read a lot about Oliver, I have seen people say he is worth the first pick. My concern is his attitude issues:

Houston DT Ed Oliver’s run-in with coach Major Applewhite wouldn’t be a big deal if Oliver didn’t already carry a bit of rep in this regard. According to scouts, Oliver has been widely seen as high-maintenance, and as a guy who’s gotten things his way a lot (his high school defensive coordinator, A.J. Blum, was hired as his position coach two years ago) since arriving on campus as the first five-star recruit in program history. Bottom line: We’ll be talking about this very public run-in again in a few months.

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Does anybody have links to complete games (not highlights) for Adderley other than the ND State, Elon and Lafayette games that are on YouTube? I generally like what I see, but I want to see more before having a feel for whether he has value at pick #20.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Only stuff I could find:

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks NY. I watched those games vs Elon and Lafayette. I also watched the North Dakota State game. The dude has RANGE. However, I like having a lot of tape to thoroughly evaluate 1st round safety prospects because they’re off screen so much. Without an All-22 kind of angle, there’s often no way to tell how they’re doing in coverage.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think it is probably a concern based on some articles I've seen in the past. I think it's also the reason you don't see him as high in mocks.

Based on talent, he is as close to Aaron Donald as you get. If he goes to the right team with the right coach, he's an All-Pro out of the gate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    This is exactly how I see it and probably not a fit for this team with all our issues already. Heck of a player from the little I have watched.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    No prob buddy I have another link I will share on my computer when I get home that has links for every player through NFL.com

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks man! This looks like a good site that I’ll be using going forward. Unfortunately they have the same 3 games for Adderly that I’ve already seen.

While you’re out there, check out Devin Bush vs Florida in 2017 with an open mind.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok I did watch the 2017 Fla game and I did try to do it with an open mind. With that said he showed some great speed but I did notice how he had trouble with a few things that worry me in a ILB. The first was how he could not shed the olinemen and it is only gonna get tougher at the pro level. The second was his tackling, he missed a few that should have been made imo and lacked strength in the tackle. He did struggle to bring down the QB and the RB.

IMO his weakness is not a good fit for an ILB at the pro level and not worth a first round pick. Not disrespect to your opinion about him I just am worried about him, especially when there are so many other options later in the draft. Pratt, Hanks, Edwards, Smith and one of my favorite Kunaszyk are some very good options that I would rather have later in the draft instead of Bush in the first. :smiley1:

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    First of all, I disagree with much of your assessment. I didn’t see any struggling to take down anyone. He had a few whiffs in his career, but show me a top college LB that doesn’t need to clean up his tackling. He misses less than Devin White. To be clear, I would take White over him all day because of potential, but I think White has some big flaws to clean up.

I don’t think Bush will go in the 1st round. His height will drop him. I’m thinking he will end up being a potential value pick in the 2nd or 3rd. That’s a key reason I’m interested in him. His instincts are great, and he just makes plays. Of all of the LBs that I have watched to date, he is the guy that shows the best feel for the game. He really reminds me of Tyrann Mathieu. Obviously different positions, but both guys just seem to feel what’s going on around them instinctively, and anticipate.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I figured you would but that is fine we all see things differently, :smiley1:. I feel I am harder on prospects as far and thinking how I see them playing and then comparing them to what is expected in the NFL. For example I was one of the few last year who didn't think SVE would be very good.......:facepalm:. If I remember right it wasn't about how he played but what I was hung up with was he didn't show pop on his tackles and he didn't move the ball carriers backwards.......yeah how did that work out, ha haha.

I went back to that game of Bush and got a few plays for you to look at if you want to, if not no problem just chatting up with ya on this. 1st quarter 4:30 watch how he hits the QB high and don't bring him down until others show up.....the QB. 2nd quarter 2:10 #59 moves Bush out of the hole leaving the middle wide open for the td run. The next series #65 did the same thing to Bush, this is what scares me about him. 3rd quarter 2:55 whiffed on the tackle on the screen play.

I totally agree that every player has bad plays and missed tackles, dropped passes and bad reads. I just think if we are looking at this guy as a 1st rounder like many think(obviously not you as you stated 2nd or 3rd) I don't like him. Film is tough some times for example I like this kid from Cal Kunaszyk but when I watched his only game on youtube from 2017 he looked bad. When I watched him in his bowl game this year he was lights out.

As far as Bush vs White I would take White all day over Bush but I feel there is enough talent in rounds 2-4 at this position to not want either in round one. JMO :thumbs_up:

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Right now I have White #1 and Pratt #2 among ILBs. Then I have a group of players who I think grade out very similarly including Bush, Coney and Wilson. I discussed their strengths and weaknesses as I see them in another thread. I think all 3 are in the pick 30-50 overall range in terms of grading. There are plenty of guys that I still need to watch. I did watch Hanks, and I don’t see value until the 4th round with him. Maybe the 3rd. If by some chance White were there at pick #20, and Byron Murphy is gone, I would grab White in a heartbeat. The potential is too good to ignore.

Setting aside all of these LBs, my 1st round guy is absolutely Murphy right now. I think he goes Top 15, but if he gets close to our pick I go get him.

• Like Like x 1
  24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

Do you think Denver would go QB in round 1 with Flaccid and Keenum?

If they really wanted a QB to add to the mix, I'd go Ryan Finley in round 2, but that's me. I liked him from what I've watched the last 2 years, but since we got Mason last year I didn't watch him as close as I did in 2017.

25. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    It's tough to say. Depends if they really like someone. Flacco and keenum aren't long term solutions. A guy like Lock isn't ready to play right away. Could still take him in the first and let him sit behind a SB winner for a year or two.