1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Penguins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Lizard72, Apr 10, 2016.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The big trade today is going to mess with the lineup until next week when they get things sorted. I'd love 4 pts but will take whatever they can get. I'm not happy about the picks but am glad the Brass experiment is done.

2. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Good game last night. DeSmith played okay. Three of the goals he gave up were two power play goals and a breakaway goal. Murray gives the Pens a chance at two more points tonight.
    As tight as the top of their division is every point is big with only 30 games left in the regular season.

3. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Big game tonight against Carolina who is pushing to get into the playoffs.

4. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Another wasted effort! This is happening too often,
    They are now is third place in their division and close to not even making the playoffs.
    It's not their defense as much as their offense not doing their job.
    We all read the hype of an offensive machine they have but they aren't playing well.
    There is still time to fix the problem but they need to do something soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Another wasted effort to get a single point.

6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Unlike the Steelers, the Pens front office tends to have a short leash on Head Coaches - could Mike Sullivan be in the hot seat? Is the honeymoon over? Goalie and D in general seem to be the Achilles Heel right now with a very streaky O. Is that Rutherford or Sullivan? Personally I like Sullivan a lot but I also liked Dan Bylsma when he was let go.

7. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    If the Pens don't snap out of it very soon I think there will be changes made. If that doesn't fix the problem Sullivan could be replaced but I think they will try some other things first. You might be right maybe a coaching change is what they need.

8. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Time to step it up Pens.

9. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The Pens need to get their heads out of their a$$. No more time to waste,
    They have a real chance of not making the playoffs unless they wake up and play their style of hockey. A nice little home streak starting Monday. Murray needs to come back then because DeSmith again showed why he is not a quality backup by giving up his normal amount of goals against. Malkin needs to be back too.
    Maybe it's time for the GM to have a little chat with Sullivan because I think some of the blame belongs on Sullivan. If he can't at leased get his team to the playoffs then Sullivan needs to go. It will be an interesting couple of weeks.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  10. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Wonder if the Flyers are going to beat the Pens tonight also.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens played much better last night.
    Shows what a difference Murray makes. DeSmith would have allowed at least 6 goals the way the Flyers were playing aggressively.
    Murray did a great job allowing 1 goal on 50 some shots. Malkin needs to quit playing tough guy and start contributing more offence. First game back for him.
    Maybe this is the turning point for the Pens to ramp it up with a nice 5 game home ice advantage starting tomorrow night.No more time to waste.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Malkin will surely be suspended one game and maybe 2 but in his defense he was punched in the back of the head which was completely ignored by the refs. That doesn't excuse his recklessness though with the dirty hack attempt with his stick. He could have seriously injured Raffl.

13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It was also ignored by the Philly announcers (I was watching game on NBC Sports Channel) even after showing the full replay 10 times they barely mentioned what lead up to the stick swing and kept talking about Malkin's often displayed short temper. Malkin was being molested by the Flyer's player and when Malkin didn't retaliate, as you said, he got viciously punched in the back of his head which then lead to Malkin's frustrated swing of his stick. The Flyer's guy should have gotten a minor for that slug as well. That 6-4 advantage for Philly was a nail biter at the end but absolutely loved Letang's coast to coast empty netter that thankfully ended all the game ending drama.

14. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The 6 on 4 advantage was the only way the Flyers were able to score last night.
    Pens played the way they are supposed to play last night.

• Like Like x 1
  15. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens need to pick up 2 points tonight.
    Just hope Sullivan doesn't think DeSmith needs any work.
    Murray is the way to go period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Big win tonight for the Pens. Great effort by everyone including coaches. Crosby 6-0 head to head against McDavid. Murray solid in goal.:applaud::applaud::applaud:

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Couple of nice games back to back. Saturday and Sunday might be a little tough because of those games being truly back-to-back which means DeSmith will be in goal for one of the games.
    I just don't have any faith in DeSmith. I assume he will give up 4 goals period. Hope he surprises me and has a decent game. Now is the time for the Pens to keep that little streak of wins going and put some space between themselves and the pack that is chasing them for a playoff spot.

18. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I don't know what it is going to take to wake this coach and team up. If the play offs started right now the Pens would not be in them. That is a sorry situation considering the talent this team has. Maybe the talent is overrated or the coach is. Something is not right and they are running out of time to fix the problem.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  19. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    DeSmith is working hard to maintain his goal against average of 4. Fortunately Malkin is heating up and the Pens scored enough to win the game in spite of DeSmith.I just cringe every time he is in goal.

20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Problem is -even Murray is not the panacea as he gave up as many goals Saturday in two periods as DeSmith did in 3 periods on Sunday. I don't know a whole lot about defensive hockey strategy but whatever the Pens are doing (or not doing) is definitely not working. So is it a "Tomlin" problem or a "Butler" problem?

21. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I think it might be a Sullivan problem. For the time being I can pretty much write Murray's bad game off as a fluke. DeSmith has a pattern of giving up 4 goals a game pretty consistently.

22. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    It will be interesting what the Pens do as far as trading for Zuccarello before the trade deadline hits.

23. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Good night for hockey, Pens won against a team they struggle against, Columbus lost and Carolina lost. Opens up a little space but not much. Pens need to focus on each game and rack up points.

24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Plus Pens beat Devils on David Putty Bobble Head night! Living large.

25. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens can't afford to let down tonight. Every point is important.