1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this the year Steelers move up for a playmaker?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelcityclash, Feb 11, 2019.

1. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    The Steelers rarely move up, but history shows, they’ve got a great track record when they do it. On the other hand, no one can argue that they’re draft philosophy of stand pat and hope someone drops has done them well more often than not. Polamalu is a best case example of agressively pursuing a playmaker and having Decastro drop on your lap is best case for patience.

Is there a player(s) you’d be willing to go up for? In a surprising twist, ________ is available at 15.
    I can’t be the only person who anxiously watched Derwin James drop last year. I remember wandering what the magic number would be before the Steelers would heroically go up and grab him. Who knows if that even crossed their minds. Based on record, they’re pretty good at picking players worthy of moving up for.

Is their a playmaker you’d be willing to go after if they dropped to say 15? Using a draft chart, Moving 5 spots involves our first and third and maybe a sixth.

2. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    For me, White, Ferrell, Allen.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hmm...

Dream scenario is Ed Oliver, Devin White or Brian Burns. Depends on whom is within the closest striking distance of a trade. All three would assist greatly.

Realistic scenario, at least the way the current situation is anyway, would be Byron Murphy, Brian Burns or T.J. Hockenson. Of the three though, I would pay a high premium to acquire Byron before I'd pay for the other two.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Josh Allen dropped then yeah, these other guys not so much.

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    As of now, I would move up for Devin White or Josh Allen. It is still early though. Lets see how the combine goes.

6. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    What about Rashan Gary? He’s a 3-4 tweener. Could be a DE in both a 3-4 or 4-3 and could be good as an OLB, especially when they place him on the line. Versatile enough to be in multiple packages? I differ to someone more knowledgeable about him. Would he be a good fit?
    I’ve seen him mocked anywhere from the Raiders to around fifteen.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not a trade up guy but rather a trade back guy, I like the idea of extra picks especially in the 2nd and 3rd. However if there was a guy or two they would be Murphy and Allen. One other guy that has been mentioned and has been talked about around here is Oliver. Everything I read on him is is a game changer and we haven't had that on the dline since big snack. My concern with him it the off field stuff and the fact that we already have enough problems here. So if Murphy or J. Allen is there I am interested in them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not sure I would move. Burns I would love to get but at 20 we are in the best shape we have been in for awhile. Good players to be had there.:cool:

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So there isn't a player that fell to 15 you wouldn't trade up for at all?

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not to give up that much no. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm in if it's a defensive guy.

But alot of guys I like would require a defensive scheme change so it's probably unlikely.

Stand pat and grab a CB or OLB.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

The issue with Gary is desire. If anything, while he has unbelievable athletic ability, he reminds me a bit too much of Robert Nkemdiche in terms of effort and desire. As opposed to "bringing it every play" like the great defensive players do, he simply allocates effort when he wants to; not something a team would want to have in a top 15 pick.

As you said, I do believe he is scheme versatile. While I do not believe he can play as a 3-4 OLB unlesd he is mainly rushing, he can play just about anywhere in a 4-3 alignment and 3-4... sans the Nose Tackle position.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    wow

14. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Stay put. Honestly need the picks. We have alot of needs. This is a defense heavy draft. We can get a solid players in 1st 2nd and 3rd. Just go defense lol

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Who are your most realistic options at OLB currently?! Curious.

16. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Polite for sure is on the radar.

I know alot of people say Sweat can't, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing his movement skills at the Combine.

I think there's a lot to be desired when it comes to Brian Burns but he could light up the combine.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Too much talent in this draft to pull a ditka. I know not literally but you know what I mean.We need several not just one out of our picks this year. I don't see that one difference maker but several good players and that's what we need.:cool:

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes I agree and I have said the last 2 years that I would trade back in a heartbeat to gain picks. However that is not what we are talking about, the OP asked is there a player out there that if fell to 15 would you trade up for him? IMO a guy like Bosa will never make it there so I said Allen and Murphy. These are guys that I would consider players to good to loss. The OP didn't ask if you wanted to move up.....I don't I actually want to move back like 5 spots. I just find it hard to believe there isn't a player right now that if fell to 15 it wouldn't interest you. :smiley1:

For the record depending on who you are dealing with 5 spots could cost nothing or could cost a boat load. Last year the Saints moved up to the 14 spot giving up their 1st(27), 5th(147) and 2019 first. Also the Bills traded their 1st(22) and 3rd(65) to the Rats for their first(16) and a 5th(154). So one trade cost a lot the other not so much. :thumbs_up:

19. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Bosa
    Allen
    The Alabama Williams’

That’s about it. I know an OT isn’t high on anybody’s wish list, but with Munchak gone we need to again focus on spending premium capital in order to acquire top talent. The days of molding marble from mud is likely over.

Depending on how FA unfolds, I’d consider moving Devin White into that list too.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I just don't see that it player. I don't think there is that much difference even in murphy, allen, boss and some others that should be there when we pick. If we get a first for ab and are able to even get a second for bell somehow we would be chittin in high cotton. We could do a lot with 2 firsts and two seconds. :cool:

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Wow fair enough if you feel that way. :smiley1:

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm on board with Mac here. The only exception would be Quinnen Williams but him falling to 15 is very very remote imo. Anyone else is not worth the loss of draft picks when we have so many needs. If there's one piece that can make or break your immediate future then yea I'd go for a trade up. I don't see it this year.

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't have a high opinion of Polite for this team. He seems averse to sticking his nose in the mix and seems content to dance around the piles. Not very physical imo. Not sure of his weight but he looks like he has a smaller frame. I'd be worried about his edge containment. Just my take.

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Agree on this part...Tytus Howard from South Alabama (I believe) opened my eyes during the Senior Bowl, I'm hoping he's on their radar. I'll have to see more on him when its available.

I'm probably in the minority but I'd pass on Bosa. It seems him and his brother are injury prone, maybe its in the genes?? His play isn't in question just his availability and yes you cannot predict that as many prospects have reversed their injury woes in the pros. But I'd be hesitant on taking the gamble. When he is out then you need another quality player as a legit backup and that is hard to find at times. If I was a GM it'd be a tough call for me.

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I respect both you your opinions but if Josh Allen is there he is my guy and of course my pre draft man crush of Murphy. Allen is a guy just about everyone has as a top 5 pick if he was at 15 I can't see how anyone wouldn't want a guy like that. Like I said in my last post to Mac the OP didn't ask if you wanted to move up he asked who are the players worth it. I know everyone has their own rankings but these "so called experts" have this guy as a top 5. Not just one but most if not all so if he were to be there at 15 he would interest me for sure. Like I said before I have been a trade back guy, I think this draft is pretty loaded and to have extra 2nd or 3rds I would love. jmo