1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it the refs, or is it the NFL?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Feb 4, 2019.

Refs fault or the NFL's fault?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2019.
  1. The officals are methodically getting sloppier?

16.7%
  2. The NFL has created rules that are impossible to enforce cleanly?

76.7%
  3. The officals are so sick of haveing to officiate a trumped up game that they simply don't care?

6.7%
  1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    This year, it wasn't about the Pats. It was about helping build interest for football in L.A. There's more Rams fans now than there were last year.....

2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Which is why 'they' rigged that Chargers/Rams Super Bowl that I watched on Sunday.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I have to have at least PART of my conspiracy theory to hold on to! I'm glad I was wrong about an all LA game!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Yeah I hate that when buying lumber, I'm not guaranteed a true 2x4... Always a guaranteed 1/4" short of the label even on the length!!!!

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s the right size when it’s cut. Then it is planed and dried.

Go Yinz Stiller’s n’ At

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    yessir it is... But still short of advertised come purchase time.

7. standupsteelerguy

standupsteelerguy Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2017
    name a few, you'll find most are in the control of the nfl.

Tomlin's radio a few years back? On an NFL system just like the patriots.

deflategate? wasn't it the REFS that took the balls out (and then the pats scored like 20 points, so I have no answer to that, other than the obvious, they are good)

I always hear people whine about this stuff but they either 1. cant give an example or 2. give one only to be shown its out of the patriots hands.

After the Patriots beat the colts so much in the 2000's there was a theory colts fans were floating; they thought the pats had big fans hidden somewhere in the stadium to make it colder and more likely to snow. I **** you not. Google it.

are we colts fans now? SMFH:facepalm:

8. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    "The Steelers now become at least the fifth team making accusations, with the team saying that its coach-to-coach communications repeatedly faced interference from the Patriots’ radio broadcast, and that the interference would stop when a league official came to the sideline to deal with it, only to start up again when the league official walked away.
    "Unlike Spygate and Deflategate, these cheating accusations have not resulted in NFL discipline."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...have-suspected-patriots-of-headset-tampering/

9. John

John New Member

Feb 11, 2019
    No offense, but that PFT article was from 9/11/15.

This is from the next day -
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-england-patriots-nfl-headsets-pittsburgh-steelers/

Browns coach Mike Pettine said New England is no worse than other places, but the fact that the Patriots have won so much makes people wonder about the reason for their success. He said he is aware of areas in Miami where "you're marking spots on the ground, 'Do not stand here.'"

"You just you learn each stadium and there are issues, there are dead spots," he said. "If the Dolphins had built a dynasty somehow, would people then be accusing them of it? Probably.

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    When did you join? Maybe the fans really did like the team then:smiley1: It's easy, and normal, to love "the Steelers" as a whole and hate what is happening right now.

Anyone who isn't concerned about the direction this team is headed is something other than a fan.

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Facts and conspiracy theory are funny things. Some people choose to ignore one or the other in favor of their choice. If you dwell on unfounded conspiracy theory with little or no fact to back it up you are foolish; and if you choose to ignore the facts that are staring you in the face by calling them conspiracy theory, you are equally foolish.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    lol

13. standupsteelerguy

standupsteelerguy Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2017

exactly........also the NFL controls those radios, and when one side goes down the other side is disconnected to maintain fairness.

to the original poster who brought this up.....what exactly does that have to do with the patriots? and before you say the league is favoring them, recall they lose coach to coach to player communication when the other side does...how does that benefit them?

when you have to do the kind of mental gymnastics required to make these conspiracy theories work, its not a conspiracy, its crazy.

14. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    You need to read both of those articles in more detail. Tomlin's was the fifth complaint, by different teams, specifically against the Patriots. The complaints are not that there are dead spots or random electrical interference. The complaints are that broadcasts (like the Patriots radio feed or pizza deliveries) are being heard on the frequency used by opposing teams. These weren't sustained outages where the radios could be disconnected by the league, but specific plays during critical moments of the games.

Besides, if the radios for both sides goes out, that favors the team with home crowd noise, and favors the team that was prepared in advance for the radios to go out.

The CBSSports article from the next day (linked by John) was mostly complaints about the Patriots, not a ringing endorsement for them. The two coaches talking about it not being a problem (like the Browns' Pettine) were talking about dead spots in reception, not about strategic radio interference. I don't see how the league talking about an electrical storm being the culprit can explain the Patriots radio broadcast being on the Steeler's frequency.

I do find the Yahoo Answers from 10 years ago to be pretty funny:
    The frequencies used differ for each team and are changed for every team, for every game.
    The NFL has strict rules about who is privy to what these frequencies are. The only people with access to (or knowledge of) the frequencies are the individual teams' field managers, a representative from the NFL Oversight Committee, the designated Replay Official (the one in the booth), and a representative of the New England Patriots coaching staff.