1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

LJ Fort Free Agency?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 10, 2019.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    If I was Fort, I’d be testing the market. No guarantee of a starting job at Pittsburgh, and coming out of a decent season when Butler finally gave him the chance.

It’s been frustrating to watch as he clearly brings something to the field neither Williams or Bostic do. But given the chances of us drafting an ILB early on, you can understand if Fort wants to look elsewhere.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He should be the one kept as I have been saying. Vince should test the market along with bostic. Put the new guy on the field with fort.:cool:

4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Let him test the market. If someone else wants to overpay that's fine. If he can't find work and wants to stay here for a reasonable price I can live with that. Guy is okay but overrated by many around here. Of course, I hate our coaching staff and scheme so that's fair to mention when evaluating our players.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he's the best we have currently. paying vince last year was overpaying as far as i'm concerned. most of the misuse and evaluation goes on butler. i have never thought he was good at it nor have our LB'ers been that great since he's been here. now he's back doing both jobs and i only see it getting worse before it gets better with him. just a mess right now and to let a good one get away is par for the course. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Butler has been with the Steelers since 2003, so he has coached some great linebackers. I'd certainly love to see a unit like Harrison, Woodley, Farrior and Foote again.

I actually thought he was fine as a linebackers coach, but as a defensive coordinator, he should have been fired two years ago.

7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    They can't test the market...They're not FA's

8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Never understood giving Williams the money and the years...They lost Shazier, and I think they panicked...Williams was a " decent " backup, But to give him all that money and years was beyond stupid...

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Foote wasn't great but had a ton around him and so did those backers. We also played a very strait up 3-4 most of the time. Fitting and executing a different style with backers built for that style hasn't been real successful under him. heck he didn't want to get rid of foote when it was clear he wasn't that good. He didn't want harrison as the starter and he ended up dpoy. He was hesitant in getting fort on the field this year when it was clear the others were not getting it done. That's his MO in staying with players that are not of the proper skillset. We have also had the williams, dupree, Jones and bostics under him. I just don't think he has been all that great as a coach in either aspect. That's jmo.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    after they are cut they can.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it can be hilarious as we watch the same thing going on next season too. You countered my views about fort in another thread of how average he was but when the numbers came out they told a different story. Why keep guys that can't do what we need them to do.:cool:

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Why doesn't Fort get more action. It seems he's only on the field about 25% of the time.

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I feel like there is an opportunity being missed between LJ Fort and Long John Silver's.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think by the end of the season he was getting the 2nd most snaps of our LBs, ahead of Bostic.

15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

That was also baffling to me as he was lighting it up in preseason. Maybe they just didn't like his size but he definitely earned more playing time than he was given during the season.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers don't see Fort as a starting ILB :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you arguing with yourself? You quoted your own post.

If you are arqueing with yourself, which one of you is winning? :huh:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't know. I couldn't figure out why they took him out in place of Bostic. I wasn't incredibly impressed last year. Definitely ILB needs a revamp IMO.

Fort was pretty good, but like others stated I think he's going to end up getting overpaid in free agency.

Good for him though.

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Here's Mac's mantra: "Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic, and so am I". We're just funning with ya Mac. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t think Fort will be overpaid. He’ll be 29 next season and has been a journeyman who primarily plays special teams until last season. Last year was his only season with extensive quality snaps at inside linebacker, and it was in a part time role for much of the year. I don’t think anyone will target him for a high value contract. I think we’ll be able to resign him for about what we gave Bostic last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I have him graded over Bostic. << wasn't all that impressed by that pick up. Showed some flashes here and there but seemed to get exploited more than anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree that Fort outplayed Bostic last year. However, Bostic was coming off a season as a fairly productive full time starter and had the pedigree of having been a 2nd round draft pick that teams were familiar with from the draft evaluation process. Fort is a journeyman special teamer who had 1/2 season of good play getting a lot of snaps. I think that’s going to temper how other teams see him. Anyone needing a starting LB is going to be looking elsewhere. He’ll be viewed as what he is: a capable backup and part time starter. That’s what I think anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    From the original post:
    "PFF graded Fort as the NFL’s 19th-best inside linebacker, 10th best against the run"
    Considering his playing time, something isn't adding up here.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope they do sign him to a recent contract. I could see a poetic type of even a little more. Still less than Vince 5 to 6 mil. I could see lj at 2 to 3 mil. He began starting against one of the toughest parts of our schedule and our defense was playing better. Fix the 2nd corner spot, add to Dupree s spot, decide what to do with Burnett, add a good draft pick to the inside backed spot and we are not that far off on defense. Our rookies from last year will have more experience, the safety spot will have a year together heading towards two, which I think will make a difference and we could be pretty solid.:cool:

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah a recent poetic contract would be the way to go. Lol!!!
    Seriously though I’d like to se fort back next year. His snap count for me depends on how they address the ILB position in the draft and FA.
    Ultimately I’d love to see a top draft pick and a good FA starting with V. Williams and Fort as the backups. Bostich and Matakevich gone.

• Agree Agree x 1