1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Todd McShay Mock Draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by VTSteelerfan, Feb 8, 2019.

1. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Todd has is drafting Devin Bush ILB from Michigan. I would be alright with this pick.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
  3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I wouldn't want to murder anyone but I have a few guys that I would like a lot better.

4. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Good pick, but we need to see him test athletically at the combine.

5. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    ..........huh??

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Terrible pick for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He might be 5'11, pass

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Pick #20 is probably too high for Devin Bush, but he’s a hell of a football player. I watched about 8 or 9 of his games this morning, some more than once. I was watching him and Devin White to see how they compare. I’m going to watch a bit more, and post a trait by trait comparison of the two.

Based on what a lot of folks have been saying, I wasn’t expecting much from Bush, but the dude can play. He has better instincts than most LBs, and is really tough for anyone but an O lineman to block. Watch his 2017 Florida game.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't want to sound like I'm calling the guy a bum, but my main issues are:

He's listed at 5'11 233. Very undersized.

I don't see the great athleticism I've heard about. Even though he had a great game vs ND, Wimbush blew past him a couple of times. The Big 10 is a bit of a slower conference too.

He seems like more of a 2 down run stuffer. Would he really be better than Vince Williams?

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes, I think so. I see a 3 down linebacker. He is as good a pass rusher as you’ll see from an ILB. Forget trying to pick him up with a RB when he blitzes. He’ll power right through most RBs and pressure the QB. He’s a destroyer of screen passes. As good an ILB coming out of college as I’ve ever seen in diagnosing and disrupting screen passes, even some bubble screens to the outside. Downfield coverage is absolutely not his strong point, but he shows awareness in zone coverage, and even flashed a few times covering RBs on wheel routes. He’s not going to defend downfield like Devin White. He lacks that kind of straight line speed, but he’s adequate in covering backs near the LOS. As a run defender, in watching 8 or 9 games I don’t know that I ever saw a non-lineman take him out of a play on anything other than a cut block oustide of the tackle box. He often takes deep angles (I.e. downfield instead of into gaps) in the run game, but it looks to me like he was schemed to do that. What I like about him is that he makes game changing plays. He’s An instinctive, aggressive player who will come up with the key sack of stop.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    It would not surprise me if he was the pick. For better or worse. For that matter though, his Combine weigh in will be either a life saver or a death sentence.

Only other linebacker would be Mack Wilson. He has to test well to warrant the pick. However, given the history of how Alabama Linebackers test at the combine, I am not holding my breath.

In this mock, is Byron Murphy already taken before pick 20? If not, he should be the pick. Haden is on the wrong side of 30 and Burns.... well... stinks.

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    How about Murphy in the 1st and Bush in the 2nd (if he makes it that far)? Based on my film review to date, I’d be happy with that scenario. Two guys who play football with aggression, instincts and a nose for the ball.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would love that!! For that matter, that essentially solves quite a bit on the defense. Those two would be awesome additions not just for the present but the future as well.

Sad aspect is though, I do not believe we will be double dipping on the defense this season for the draft. Only other time that has happened before 2016 was well over 40 years ago (the year is slipping away as I am quite intoxicated right now :lolol:) Keep in mind that Antonio Brown must be dealt with. Should the board fall within our favor, with some additional draft picks as firepower, I could imagine Pittsburgh acquiring either N'Keal Harry from Arizona State University or Riley Ridley from the University of Georgia. If not either, Deebo Samuel from the University of South Carolina. He is an explosive playmaker who could slot in and perform well right away.

14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    His instincts and smarts are visible on the field.

Just not sure I see him as a 1st round talent. Too many this working against him. I also don't think he will test well at the combine. Combine that with being undersized and I think you have a 2nd round player.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

For Bush's sake he better. He really does not have a choice. A dream scenario for him would be being selected by Pittsburgh at pick 20. At worst?! He is a low second, high third round pick.

As I said though NB, Devin Bush just seems to be "that guy" Pittsburgh would select. 2016 was Artie Burns. 2018 was Terrell Edmunds. Devin Bush seems to be the next polarizing pick. If not him, I hope Brian Burns is considered.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think pick #20 is too probably high for him. However I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go late round 1. Of course it’s early in the draft season, so who knows what will happen.