1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Bell FS Fresno State

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Feb 9, 2019.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If they don't add a FS in free agency this is my guy. They definitely need depth and competition for Sean Davis as there is none right now. The Goldens and Dangerfields of the world are just not going to cut it. And don't give me the Brian Allen convert stuff. Not buying it, plus they seem to like him better at CB anyway.

He's 6'3" 205 and coming out a year early. Love that height/length...

He'll be at the combine and there's a couple games of his on youtube. Plus a very basic profile I found

We definitely could use an alternative to Davis imo. And I definitely think he could be had in the 3rd round. He has some trouble bringing down the bigger backs, but he is very fluid in pass coverage. Not afraid to stick his nose in there coming up either. He's got some areas he needs to work on, (looked off by QB vs toledo, couple bad angles or gambles vs boise, wrapping up on occasion) but he would be a good prospect to develop imo.

http://pigskinprospects.com/players/mike-bell/

https://mwwire.com/2018/12/28/fresno-state-free-safety-mike-bell-declares-for-nfl-draft/

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As you said, he has some trouble bringing bigger backs. Nick Chubb, Joe Mixon and Alex Collins are all big backs. Sadly, Mike Bell cannot be considered.

Among the prospects, Chauncey Gardner Johnson, Deionte Thompson or even Taylor Rapp are much better fits. Mike Bell would be a good centerfielder but, barring any further information from Tomlin and/or Butler, I do not see Pittsburgh employing and deploying a single high Free Safety. For that matter, even in the event that a centerfielder would become a part of Butler's future plans, Nasir Adderly would likely be in play should the team go that route.

Now, that being said, I do like his skillset. He could become a very good centerfielder in time. I wonder if he has a good combine?

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    darnell savage jr. from maryland.

can play corner or FS.

5-11 199 4.36

a combine invitee. the speed is there for this kid. i hope we add that needed speed to. we sure could use it. this whole defense needs to get faster. no 4.4 wr will run past this kid. you cant teach speed. :cool:

4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Him or Chauncey Gardner-Johnson for me the same. I am leaning a bit toward Johnson more though. Both have good versatility but I like how more improved Johnson was this season. A good combine will garner him early 2nd Round consideration.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Both safeties are faster than our corners. We need speed at the position. Johnson isn't close to savages speed. Quickness numbers are also important and the combine will tell those numbers. :cool:

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If Savage tests between 4.38 to 4.29, I would not think twice to acquire him in the second round. Given the fact that Tomlin really wants to roll out the three safety look, Savage would fit right in. Anything else he does at the combine is icing on his cake. :)

Now, all that said, I still would want Chauncey. He does not have the speed but he was tasked to do more at the University of Florida. Not to mention the fact that, since 2010, only Seinor player selected in the second round was Sean Davis. Add the fact that Chauncey is a Junior and the odds sway in his favor even more.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I only watch a little of the clips and while he did have some tackling issues the one thing I noticed was his read and react skills. This is something I feel we are lacking in our current backfield, maybe by scheme or talent IDK. I like the little I seen on this kid but like I posted in different threads IU feel the S class in FA is the most loaded and we could get a very good player there. Other names I really like as later round flyers are Andrew Wingard Wyoming and Delvon Randell Temple. Both of these kids looked good in the Shrine game, Wingard was always around the ball a non stop motor.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    from the little I've seen on him, he seems like a good prospect. I'll have to catch some of his games.

I do like Bell's size better, it'd be nice to have a taller FS prospect come in. I think Derwin James and Jamal Adams are both 6'2" (?) and that helps a lot on contesting passes. We'll have to monitor the pre-draft visits and see who's on their radar. I'm not sure if they get one in the draft since they got 2 last year but they definitely need FS depth.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    This kid can play corner. The plus is he could do either and add speed.:cool:

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bell ran a 4.84 twice have to pass on him.

11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Wasn't the last "tall" FS the Steelers drafted Scott Shields many moons ago? He was I think 6-3 or 6-4 and had some good INT moments in the sun but was otherwise useless as a defender as has been discussed on this MB a few times over the years. Most lanky 6-3 players would be WR's if they could catch.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    gawd that's horrible, he didn't look that slow on tape. bummer

13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Still think the best options for FS are Adderly and CGJ from Florida.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    CGJ is starting to grow on me, but I haven't watched a lot. I have only seen a little from Adderly at the Senior Bowl. I've been mostly looking at the FS who will be projected in that 3rd round and later area. They drafted two safeties last year and have Davis as the FS starter. I would love to upgrade Davis personally, but will they take another safety in the top 3 rounds, especially 1 or 2? Its a tough call, the prospect visit list should clarify it by the time pro days etc are done imo.

15. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Don't fret. I'm sure the "braintrust" comprised of Tomlin and Butler are salivating at the opportunity to draft a guy who can matchup with the eligible tackle in goalline situations. Maybe they'll draft him after taking another long snapper.