1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Underrated safety Juan Thornhill of Virginia

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Feb 8, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    I say cut Burnett. Mostly because he doesn’t want to be here.
    In terms of team culture, Bell, Burnett, and Brown represents everything we should get away from.

I love this dude! As far as potential goes, He looks like everything I wish I had seen in Edmunds tape when we used our 1st last year. IMO both are 2nd rd talent out of college, however, This dude could be special. His skill set seems to fall right inline with what Tomlin and the NFL wants in sub packages. He’s aggressive, can cover, and doesn’t shy away from contact.

Just imagine if we found a way to sign the honey badger. We could draft this guy and have a young, scary good secondary. It would immediately give us the versatility to run plays with 3 playmaking safeties - all who can cover and hit. When we go into sub packages, with Hilton, Haden, Honeybadger, Davis, Edmunds, and Thornhill, we could have one of the most aggressive and well rounded secondaries in the NFL.

If it’s true that we can tag Bell and trade him, send him to the Texans for the rights to Honey Badger. I’m assuming the Texans have considered tagging Mathieu. The Steelers and Texans sign them Long term and we both walk away with playmakers.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Underrated?! To whom?!

For me, he is the second best overall safety in the draft. I do like Deionte Thompson but Juan is more so a complete Safety who is interchangeable. Only reason I would nab Deionte over Juan is because Deionte is more athletic.

That being said, Pittsburgh needs to acquire more football players who have above average athletic ability. The player's athleticism does not have to be elite. For that matter, Juan Thornhill is not the second coming of the Jarvis Jones.

4. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Trade AB to 49ers for their 2 and 3 picks.

1. Byron Murphy CB
    2a. Juan Thornhill S
    2b. Germaine Pratt ILB
    3a. Best available wr or TE. (1 will drop. Think Ridley or Samuels)
    3b. DeAndre Walker OLB (upside and depth)
    4. O line

Would love if it turned out like this.

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I put underrated in the title because that's what his Youtube highlights had, Thompson did nothing in the championship game against Clemson, pass on him.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    wait until his backfield mate comes out next year too. bryce hall. i was hoping he would declare this year. both of these guys can play. :cool:

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

One game should not define any player; Thompson no less. Thompson was actually very good for much of the season overall. Like you though, I did not like his BCS performance either.

That being said, for me, he and Nasir are the only two safeties worth a 1st Round pick. Juan is as well but I do not think that the board overall is going to allow three safeties to be selected this year as it was in 2018.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I was severely disappointed Bryce did not. Among the corners this season, he would have been worth pick 20. Hall can do it all just about. Probably not as fuild as Byron Murphy but that is a small complaint.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That would concern me if a player can't show up in the biggest game of the year, against the best competition also. Mack Wilson another player who did nothing in that game.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hmm...

Using that logic, Saquon Barkley should have not been a Top 5 selection last season. For that matter, we also can forfeit the likes of Nick Bosa as he was nowhere to be seen all season. As I said, one game does not make a player.

Regarding Mack Wilson, respectfully disagree. He has been in that scenario last season in the BCS Title game. For that matter, leading up to the BCS game, he was consistently making plays for the Tide. There are plenty of "Mack Wilson vs." vids on YouTube that further augment this very point.

In the end, as I said though, I would not mind having Juan Thornhill at all. He is a multi role safety who can do it all. The issue is not him but who the Steelers have been selecting. Since 2010, Bud Dupree was the only Seinor drafted. Unless Juan blows it up at the combine, I do not expect him to be in play for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Thornhill runs a 4.43 and has a vertical of 44", possible second round selection.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

His broad jump was 10'9 not 16'9

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    4.54 for Nasir huh?! Not a death sentence but also was hoping he would run faster. Then again, I also had him going low to mid 4.5s.

His speed will be enough for certain. His explosiveness though is what caught my eye. Hopefully Pittsburgh was at Delaware's Pro Day in some capacity.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Rising fast on a lot of mocks ????

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He hasn't been healthy since the season ended, he couldn't perform at the combine, then he dealt with another injury at his pro day.