1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Top ILBs in upcoming draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TarheelFlyer, Jun 20, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Clemson_logo.gif

[​IMG] Isaiah Simmons**, S, Clemson
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 230.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
    Projected Round (2019): 2-3.
    12/8/18: Simmons has 75 tackles with four passes broken up and one interception on the season. He is a tough run defender who flies around the field and is a physical tackler. The redshirt sophomore is a strong safety type for the NFL, but he could also get consideration in a move to linebacker. Team sources have told me they have been impressed with Simmons, although they think he is more likely to return to Clemson than enter the 2019 NFL Draft.

8/29/18: In 2017, Simmons totaled 45 tackles with three tackles for a loss and six passes broken up. There were no interceptions for that stat line. Simmons is a big strong safety who runs well for a player of his size. He could easily grow into a Will linebacker in the NFL.
    Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019S.php#KgC0Aw5MDEla5YOu.99

2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    mack Wilson bama. he will declare

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Devin White from LSU is clearly the best. But should be a Top 10 pick. Think Roquan Smith.

Mack Wilson from Bama would be an option. Great coverage skills. 6 INTs the past 2 seasons.

I'm still looking at pass rushers for the 1st round though.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I would rather do that in Free Agency to be honest. Hopefully Clowney prices himself out of Houston. What I would not give to acquire him. Dee Ford could also be an option but he is a bit older than what I would want personally.

It is likely though that Atlanta gets rid of Vic Beasley. Would not mind giving him a look.

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah we do have enough young guys in house that I wouldn't mind seeing a more veteran guy where you kinda know what you're getting and work the young guys in as well.

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    NC State isn't considered a small school ..Maybe not a very good football school .....

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

..... Wow...

Thought he hailed from SC State. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Much of the same reasons I keep mentioning Gilbert from akron. Very good in coverage. If you watch him he flows effortlessly to the proper receiver even when they crisscross tes and backs. They would both be upgrades as we use these guys to cover. both have the speed we need. I wouldn't mind both. I still would prefer bucannon and kendricks though. :cool:

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    What's everyone's thoughts on Mack Wilson, I just watched his Missouri game was was not impressed. The reason I decided to look at him is if things don't fall right for us he may be the "higest ranked" ILB there. I do not like what I saw he did drop in coverage a lot but wasn't really a factor and his run support is for the birds. It was only one game but man he is a big no for me, thoughts?????

12. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Underwhelming tape but his statistics are what you look for. I agree maybe a better coverage LB than he is vs the run. Will see how he looks at the combine than go back to the tape.

He doesn't strike me as 1st round talent though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok so yesterday I watched Wilson and wasn't impressed and this morning I watched 2 games(ND & Penn St) of Devin Bush. I did not like what I saw on Bush either, the Penn St game his stats were 7 tackles 4 solo. These aren't bad numbers until you watch the game and see where the tackles happened. The ND game was a little better stat wise 7 tkl 3 solo 1.5 sack, the sacks were nice. On one sack we came around the end and went through the RB. The other sack he came up the middle. Now here is what I noticed in these 2 games:

* both QB's McSorley and Wimbush ran away from him
    * gets washed out by bigger lineman
    * can't read and react, falls for the misdirection stuff
    * plays more by the first down maker than the LOS
    * on td vs ND made bad read and the rb went right up the middle where he was for a td
    * looks lost in zone coverage

These are just my opinions everyone see's things different but right now if Mack and Bush are there I don't want them. Feel free to post when you all have seen on these guys.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    At this point, regarding the Inside Linebackers, it is Devin White or bust. Mack Wilson is more so made for a 4-3 Will and Bush operates best in a 3-4 Okie Defense where Offensive Lineman are not a problem. If not, 4-3 Under Defense only. White does not have any of those limitations.

Only reason Bush might be an option is because the team could go back to that style of defense.... as unlikely as that may seem. That being said, I do not see it happening. Bush's weigh in is critical; scheme being irrelevant.

Only major option at present is corner. Given the fact that Byron Murphy is constantly shooting up people's draft boards, by the time April comes, he is likely a top 10 selection. Baker might also get his stock elevated pending his own performance. That leaves us with "Greedy" Williams. Heck no.

Should all three be gone by then though, Jachai Polite is talior made for a 3-4 defense. Issue is Butler will not put him in favorable matchups. For that matter, our pass rushers cover roughly 33% of the time. Polite has not done enough of that in college.

I am starting to think the way NB does albeit a bit differently differently. Assuming Ed Oliver miraculously falls out of the Top 15, Colbert better be on that phone. Oliver is a game wrecker. If not him, bite the bullet on Christian Wilkins. His length could be an issue but everything else isn't as a multi role interior lineman. A wild card could be RaShan Gary but I believe that, even in the event he is available.... where does he go?!

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Today's film was on Devin White, now I am not sure he is even gonna be close to our pick but so many here are high on him I had to watch. I watched the Georgia & Miami games and man is this kid fast, he plays the pass well and looks pretty comfortable in zone. He is a heck of a blitzer but the one problem I saw with him was the fact that he is so fast he looks out of control causing him to miss some tackles.

IMO this kid is twice the player Bush is and you can tell by the way he plays at the point of attach. While I was looking for game film I came across a guy who broke down his game vs Auburn and agreed with a of what he said. If you watch this clip I will be curious to see if you agree. Right now of the guys I have watched at ILB White is the most appealing. I do not want anything to do with Bush or Wilson, jmo

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

here's a guy i like. ryan connelly. back to wisconsin. we did well with one a couple of years ago.:hehehe: they have a really good bunch of LB'ers there. even when watt was there these guys were good too. now is their time. edwards included. connelly though is a guy that didn't get all the hype but was a play maker for them. led them in tackles last year. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    another underrated player i've watched for a few years. ulysses gilbert from akron ( go zips).

good cover guy too for a LB. big lower half. tree trunk legs. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He could be a guy to look at in the 5th or 6th rd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    For whatever it is worth, Both Mel and Todd on ESPN are projecting us taking Devin Bush.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

No no no............:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Devin Bush would be a terrible pick.

Short.

Not as athletic as people think.

Questionable instincts.

I think he gets exposed at the combine and will not be a 1st round pick.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Not a big d Bush can at 20.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I haven’t watched Bush yet (other than watching games on live TV). The first game I’m going to want to see is the Ohio State game to see what his role was in a historically weak defensive performance by Michigan.

I’m going to watch with an open mind, and ignore the hype by the evaluators. The evaluators like Devin White, but I think he has very mixed game film for a top 10 prospect. Bush may be the same story for me.

I haven’t watched a lot of Pratt yet, but I like him so far.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok he is next on my list and I know there is just more than you here that are high on him. One thing in that link you shared that we all need to keep in mind is this right here:

With the new base package, per Mike Tomlin, moving toward sub packages, that should signal that the Steelers will start to drift away from their standard 3-4 and go to 2-4-5 and 3-3-5 packages as a sub-unit based defense. In that, Pratt and Fort would be ideal. Pratt was a fantastic sub package defender in college, and looks to be a good 3 down ILB so be as his play strength improves.

• Like Like x 1