1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Now?......Now?....How bout now?.....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thesteeldeal, Feb 8, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ha! Colbert’s annual free agent dumpster dive. That’s a good one. I would take him in a heartbeat, but I don’t know what it’s going to take financially. Probably far more than the Steelers will part with for another team’s free agent. He should be a target though. His football IQ is off the charts, and he could really help our defense.

3. Steelerway8511

Steelerway8511 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I think this would be a fantastic acquisition. Hopeful that it's in the FO's plans. He is a perfect "QB" for this secondary. Hopefully this year Colbert realizes that FA like this can make a huge difference and not all answers we need can be met with this upcoming draft.

4. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Didn't realize this was a Steelers/pirates board

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Wanted them to go after him last year, want them to go after him this year.

Aside from the money issue, one question may be whether they want to get a proven playmaker for a few years that Edmonds can sit behind and rotate in for in certain looks, or more of a 'solid vet' type who Edmonds competes with. I hope for the former and expect the latter.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm up in the air on this one. Sure I would like to have him but we really need to spend money on a corner opposite haden and an eventual replacement for him. Hilton needs signed too. Or could be take hilton role over?:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    So here is the way I look at this, first we have to dump Burnett trade or cut. We would save 3.633 mil while eating 2.833 mil if we cut him. Second there is the whole he loves it in Houston thing which means he wants the money to leave. Which leads me to the third point, there is a good group of FA at the safety position. Collins, Boston, Amos, Thomas, Joyner, Vaccaro and depending how you look at there Ha Ha and Iloka so imo no need to break the band on Mathieu. The fourth and last point is how do we recruit any FA to come to this dumpster fire right now? I mean who looks at our team and says wow that's where I want to go? Don't say cause we are a SB caliber team cause so is Houston and other teams as well......without the drama. JMO

Don't get me wrong would love to see him here but honestly I don't want to break the bank for him, especially with other positions of bigger need......OLB & ILB. :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Cardinals just signed Alford to a 3/22-24 contract so that looks like the starting point for DB's right now..........

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I'm with you Mac. They need a stud corner opposite Haden. This won't come cheap. Edmonds will be starting next season, they are not going to let a 1st round pick sit and wait. That's not how they do business. Hilton should be resigned.
    I feel Edmonds should improve, but then their is the whole look who's coaching aspect.
    Davis played under the radar this past season, but is not a game changer. The Badger doesn't like to play free safety. And has had 2 ACL injuries.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that is cheaper than haden. Of course for a safety, but we need that safety with corner capabilities, a safety with corner and lb abilities and a lb with safety capabilities.:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    with sensabaugh gone, burns should be gone and hilton not yet signed, yes corner is a need. As for safety, I think we are set. Most people forget it takes a while for our safety combos to gel. It took a couple of years for troy and Clark to get good together. It goes back further than that too. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Hilton is an ERFA

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Go Pens

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Would take him in a second but he'll be back with Houston. Only way he isn't back there is if they don't want him and why wouldn't they?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I don't know, do we need more safeties? Maybe we should let these young guys develope a little before breaking the bank. Not to mention that we know what we have at cornerback, not much. We know what we have at linebacker, not much. We are probably going to need to pickup a wide receiver.

16. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    What do you guys think of Dom Capers over Butler?

I see the Chiefs got Spagnuolo, Rams have Wade. Philly got Schwartz. Could we use an improvement as a must?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You realize that Capers was cutting his teeth in the Steelers Org back when Rooney II was in diapers right?

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Correct and that is why I said this was a starting point. If we are looking for a #2 CB like the Cards just did we better have 8-10 mil a year at least.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes if it was 1994, I would take Capers. He's too old, the game has passed him by. His Packers defense was worse than the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Sign him
    Sign everyone
    :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    No no no no. Did I say no? :smiley1:

22. TxSteelFan

TxSteelFan Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Colbert's got a fat wallet this year, unlike previous years. Hope he spends it wisely!

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1