1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it the refs, or is it the NFL?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Feb 4, 2019.

Refs fault or the NFL's fault?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2019.
  1. The officals are methodically getting sloppier?

16.7%
  2. The NFL has created rules that are impossible to enforce cleanly?

76.7%
  3. The officals are so sick of haveing to officiate a trumped up game that they simply don't care?

6.7%
  1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Correct and totally realized just that after I posted it but honestly I was too lazy to go back and edit it. That proves my point though. When the game is called on a level playing field,they are beatable.

Edit: IMHO we are far,far from second just this year alone....

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Iv'e pretty much stopped actually discussing anything in depth. It's very hard to have a reasonable conversation with all the negativity.
    most threads just turn into "Tomlin sucks" or "Why can't we be more like the Patriots"
    I honestly thought when I joined a "Steelers FANS" message board that people actually liked and supported the team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Say what now?

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Hey! I like the Steelers, Fella!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    How about option "all of the above"? That is what I would have chosen.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    You’re an undercover Chargers fan - I see through your disguise!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm not interested in reading whining and I'm not here enough to know how things tend to flow but the bottom line is "if you are not upset by the direction the Steelers are headed you are not a true fan".

This organization has always been the model franchise, the organization that others wish they could replicate, and the team that won by teamwork, hardnosed football, and discipline. Now the Steelers are none of those things, we are the drama queens of the league and it's embarrassing. Some people love drama, some people love it when inmates get to run the prison, and some people simply don't value being the best (they equate it to imperialism) but man-o-man do I wish those people would choose another team to root for!

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    On another note .... and back to the focus of the original post .... before the whining started about the whining. I find it telling that not a single person has even discussed the core issue of the NFL turning a blind eye to the use of HGH and PED's and the fact that this blind eye is responsible for a majority of what is wrong with the NFL today.

Think about the corruption and the powerful stick the NFL wields. Endless hours of discussion by virtually every sports person in the media and none of them will broach the subject of the 5000 pound elephant in the room because they know they would lose their job. Think about what would change if the NFL implemented a program today that would result in a zero tolerance policy by 2022?

1. Injuries would be reduced by a huge margin.
    2. The rules could go back to football the way it was designed.
    3. Officiating wouldn't overshadow the games.
    4. Players careers would be lengthened.
    5. Player safety in general would be instantly addressed.

AND THE BIG ONE, THE ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS....

6. The NFL's revenue would drop because the gladiators wouldn't be as entertaining ....unless of course you simply love football!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's an interesting point to make, and I agree on some aspects (1, 5 and 6).

I'm not sure I see how it would affect officiating, as that seems to be more around the viewing technology available - what's your thinking there?

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Thank god somebody gets it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Availability of technology is just an excuse. Technology should help you do your job better not prevent it. My thinking is that the reason officiating has become so difficult to get right is because the players are bigger, faster, and stronger, every year which will naturally lead to more severe injuries .... which leads to rules changes which are not conducive to football. While technology allows us to see things we couldn't see previously, that doesn't change the fact that what constitutes a "catch", what constitutes a "fumble", and what constitutes "roughing the passer" has been redefined to the point where nobody can explain it.

For example ... let's say your job is "Quality Control" and the product you are responsible for MUST be produced to be 10 inches long and 3 inches wide plus or minus 1/64 of an inch. Tomorrow you show up for work to find out that an "inch" has been redefined by the company but your QC criteria has not. And imagine that millions of people watch you do your job in real time and get to view the results of your Quality Control?

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Wrong ... The problem is that people are failing to get it. With all this technology, improved picture quality, countless angles, instant communications, it's getting worse instead of better. And you think that explains things? Help me understand your thought process?

Edited to add .... with today's technology there should NEVER be a wrong call! But people are using technology as the reason wrong calls are increasing? What's wrong with this picture?

I think the reason for the fuel shortage is that cars are getting so much better gas mileage.:huh:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Clearly, you must be working for the adult industry.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Can you imagine that? The 1/64th inch tolerance would have to be modified to read plus or minus 9 inches based on surroundings, medication level, sobriety, and personal preference!

Sounds a little like the NFL rules;)

15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    :eek:
    I just used this one 'cause I couldn't find the ralphing emoji!

16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    :puking 5:

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I agree with the technology we have now we should be able to get a better percentage of the calls correct. The The point I think the op was trying to make is that the way the technology is being applied right now bad calls are just getting highlighted. Unfortunately with some of the current rules the technology just shows us how bad the refs are and doesn’t always help to get the call correct.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The point I am trying to make in the original post, and in general, is that this mess isn't about bad officiating. It's about a corrupt and greedy group of owners and their highly paid mouth. The NFL has all this technology in the world to assure them of getting the calls right but here we sit with the officiating becoming more and more of a disaster every year! Why?

It's clear that the NFL doesn't care about getting the calls right because the technology is at their fingertips to make that happen and yet we are going backwards. One thing you can be certain of is that the answer revolves around money. Maybe if they allowed the technology to get all calls right they lose their ability to nudge certain teams into certain positions?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Never mind

20. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    The NFL is rigged. It's a corporation & Roger Goodell is the CEO and puppet to the Kraft family. I love my Steelers but I hate the fake ass league they play in. http://www.thefixisin.net/theproof.html

21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Not a cry baby and I have huge respect for the evil empire. It has nothing to do with the Pats or any other team but the bad calls in the NFL are terrible and ruin a lot of games. The Saints probably would have been in the SB if the ref staring right at the play made that call. There have been hundreds of bad calls over the years that changed the results of games. Steelers have had their share of calls that hurt us and calls that helped us.(see our win over SeaHawks in SB) Hell, I remember a Miami Dolphin fan rented a banner plane protesting a terrible call by a ref that cost them a huge game.

Instant replay is a huge plus for all sports. MLB really needed it, the human eye can not see those bang bang plays.

Kind of mad the Saints didn't get that call because Goff was shelled shocked that whole game, Brees would not have been.

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    With 4 lead refs retiring at the start of the 18 season, and with two more just retired at he end of the season the league has to replace 33% of the refs with rookies to officiate this years games, so expect a lot of bad calls in 19 probably a lot more than we saw in 18:

With Morelli and Coleman now hanging up their whistles for good, that means the NFL has now lost six referees to retirement over the past 12 months, which is notable because the NFL only had a total of 17 lead referees during the 2018 regular season. That means in a one-year period, the league will now have been forced to replace more than 33 percent of its referees.

During the 2018 offseason, Gene Steratore, Ed Hochuli, Jeff Triplette and Terry McAulay all retired. Steratore is now the rules analyst for CBS, and you'll be able to see him on Feb. 3 because he'll be in the television booth with Jim Nantz and Tony Romo for Super Bowl LIII.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    SMH

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This stuff is nonsense. So the league fixed the game right into the least watched SB in 10 years? Or is it just Goodell and Kraft that are corrupted and no other owner is speaking out about how the Pats are in it every year? And of course the refs would have to all be in on the take and not ever be leaked.

Come on people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Everyone knows about the "mysterious" equipment failures that afflict visiting teams at NE, but for whatever reason it is too much trouble for the league to deal with it.