1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mosley

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 30, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed. This would also alleviate the concern of acquiring one in the draft the same. Only the Cornerback and Inside Linebacking positions remain.

I still do like the prospect of Anthony Barr in a Steelers Uniform. He might command a high price but given our current set of circumstances, such a price tag could warrant itself as a bargain should he perform to the expectations. If not..... back to the Draft Big Board.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    He might but last years top OLB got 9 mil AAV and that is what we are looking to pay Bud rigth now..yes I know that won't stand but the money is already there for it.

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I see the Steelers paying Dud's fifth year option unfortunately. They could resign him for more years with less pay but I think they play him one more year & let him hit FA.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It is funny you say this cause there are some on here that are positive we won't pay Bud the 9 mil. I was curious about how the Steelers have handled this in the past and was surprised as to what I found. Prior to Bell the Steelers have used the tag 9 times and 5 of them times were unable to come to terms on a long term contract. Just recently it was with Worilds in 2014 for 9.75 mil, so the thought of Bud playing for 9 mil is more of a possibility than many think.
    The only players to sign long-term deals after being tagged are Carnell Lake, Jason Gildon and Max Starks. In Starks’ case he signed only after being tagged a second time.

5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup, anyone that can bust up crybaby Aaron Rodgers should be rewarded!

I think with his athleticism he’d fit well with what we want our inside backers to do.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bud wasn’t tagged. Big difference.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you been smoking too much weed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Well they must like what he is giving them on the field because he is never benched for being just a body on the field. Chuck would have sat him in a heartbeat.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There unfortunately did not appear to be anyone better behind him.

In 2017 he had 40 tackles and 6.0 sacks. When they took the 5th year option they said they saw upside. Last tear he had 42 tackles and 5.5 sacks. I doubt they now see $9mm of upside.

JMHO

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

O crap you are right my bad man was confused 5th year option.....damn!

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree that he would be a big upgrade at ILB for us. However I think he’s going to be pretty expensive. Even on the off chance that we would be a top bidder in total contract dollars, I can’t see us matching what someone else will do in terms of guaranteed money.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't see that maybe I am looking to much at numbers but right now Barr is ranked 11th by NFL.com. Last year Hitchens was ranked as the 39th(B/R) best FA and he signed the 10th highest contract at 5/45, most by a LB ILB or OLB.

I don't see Barr being the top guy and of course a lot will depend on tagging but look at who is out there, DeMarcus Lawrence, Jadeveon Clowney, Trey Flowers, Dee Ford, Frank Clark, C.J. Mosley and then Barr. Add to that Grady Jarrett, Earl Thomas and Landon Collins there is plenty of guys on defense that could see more money than Barr....I am hoping lol.

Also right now the biggest contract for ILB is 12.3 AAV and Hitchens contract that he signed last year puts him tied for 5th at 9 AAV. So if we have to sign Barr for some where between 9-12 I agree we probably won't go that much but if he isn't the top guy and we dump Bud I could see us going for it. For the record 21.3 of Hitchens 45mil is guaranteed which is 4.2 a year, so maybe there is a chance lol. JMO :smiley1:

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    that's good to hear, I thought the 10mil was a low figure on that site

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree with Blast, Z. Smith would be a good add for the outside

• Like Like x 1