1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mosley

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. At the very least drive the price up but they should make a legit attempt to lure him away. He'd be a huge addition to this defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes that is what I am saying, if we can’t sign him make the Rats pay so their cap space is less.

5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Like they did with Weddle...By the way glad we didn't get

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I think we have as much of a chance getting Mosley as the Steelers have of winning a Super Bowl in the next five years. Zero

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    See other threads in draft room section, you will see discussion wanting Mosley in lieu
    of drafting ILB. Unfortunately I see the Steelers drafting the new ILB.

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I heard on the radio that the new GM said him top priority was to keep Mosley and that meant tagging him if they had to so no chance here..........

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not sure I agree that passing on Weddle was a good thing. How would we have fared in the playoffs the past 2 seasons with Weddle at FS instead of Mitchell? We’ll never know the answer to that question for sure, but I recall Mitchell’s utter failure to protect the deep middle as a key factor that prevented us from coming back vs. the Jags in the playoffs last year. I haven’t gone back to rewatch that game, and won’t do it, but my recollection is that poor safety play killed our comeback more than any other factor.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    None of it will make a difference until butler is willing to take somebody off the field and replace tbem. This is most of the reason I hate seeing him back and even worse back at lb coach. He is terrible at making a change from old to new. He resists change even when it's not working.:cool:

11. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    The title of that article is exactly why Baltimore won't let it happen. They know Pittsburgh will probably go "all-in" on him if he's not tagged. Would love to see us get him though!

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think Mitchell's biggest problem in Pittsburgh was the scheme he was asked to play in. He was praised by the Colts last season for his play, and for mentoring their young safety and basically turning the defense around from starting 1-5 to going to the divisional round of the playoffs. Who's to say Weddle wouldn't have been misused the same way...

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Not sure but...People on the Ravens board hate him...Say he is slow af, over- rated, and a severe liability...Could be just people bitching in a message board ( never heard that before )

I just remember watching one game against us ( believe it was last year ) where he was making a ton of plays against us

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This. Would have been a very good pick up for us. I don't think anyone can make the argument he would have been a worse acquisition than Green.

Yeah, the stupid fans. He's one of the main reasons for that defenses success.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/03/b...le-don-martindale-brandon-carr-tony-jefferson

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I so agree with this that it isn't funny. How does MM look so bad here but go to the colts and look good, and it isn't just MM anyone we put back there looked confused. I really feel our scheme is a big issue and not talent so much, I have said it before in other threads. JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Check out my link above your post to the Raves D. It's scheme. Butler is from DL's school of defense, learned from him. Tomlin has apparently been very involved too, so both of these guys need to stop with the complicated schemes and just KISS. (waiting for jokes :lolol:)

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Ravens have an estimated 24 mill in cap space. Right now spotrac has the Steelers at 10 mill. I know things will change, especially since Ben's contract is being worked and who knows with AB. Would love to see him here but it looks bleak.

Still have to re-sign LJ Fort who is an UFA.

I think the Eagles are battling cap space and their LBer Jordan Hicks is an UFA, he'd be a nice pick up.

18. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Pretty sure the Steelers will have a lot more room that that. I think they are carrying over $18.5 M from this season into next.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    What works in our favor is that Mosley isn’t their only impending FA linebacker. Suggs, Zadarius Smith, and Mosley are all free. Their defense will likely look quite a bit different next year.

Jackson on a rookie contract helps, but I don’t see them retaining all 3, and losing any one of them will hurt.

Hicks sounds possible, and I’m curious to see what happens to Anthony Barr’s market. He’s my dark horse for a Farrior v2 for us.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Zadarius Smith could be a very good pick up. Drive up Mosleys price up and swoop in and grab Smith.

If you actually get Mosley instead, even better.

• Like Like x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Right now we have 19.2 mil in space according to OTC. We could be in ever better shape once they decide what the deal is with Dupree. Also there has been talks about Burnett(3.6 mil savings), Burns(1.7 mil savings), and the extension with Ben. I can't remember the last time we were this good....lol.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I agree and with the Rats saying the #1 priority was Mosley that just might eat up a lot of that space.....man that will suck, lmao.

I am with you as far as being on the Barr bandwagon, he is the guy I would love to see here. If we had to decide between Barr and Dupree imo it is a no brainer dump Bud and sign Barr. Why am I saying that well last years contracts are right on track with what Bud is getting. Hitchens 5/45 9 aav, Bradham 5/40 8 aav, Davis 3/24 8 aav, Williamson 3/22.5 7.5 aav and z. Brown 3/21 7 aav. So as usual the top guy always wants more than last year but I am not saying Barr is the top guy, we will have to see what happens to the others with the tags. I also like Matthews who just made 13 mil and money may not be a factor with him. Add to that he can switch inside and outside making him a good fit while also not blocking a rookie we draft this year as well.

23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    CJ Mosley is an okay player. I think he would sure up run game, but they say he really struggles in passing game. I rarely see him come up with game changing plays.

I feel like we are looking for someone who is more of a difference maker.

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think you and GB Steel may be thinking of different positions for Barr. GB seems to be talking about him as an ILB for us, and I agree with that. I think Barr could be a really good ILB for us. He can defend the run, drop into coverage, and he rushes the passer really well on blitzes through the gaps. I don't feel as comfortable with the thought of bringing him in as a starting edge rusher. He hasn't really done that in Minnesota. Sure, there have been a few times where he has lined up at 4-3 DE, but what did he really do on those snaps? He had 3 sacks this year, one of which was unblocked off the left edge against Seattle on an RPO, and the other two against Miami where he blitzed from the LB spot and beat a poor pass protecting RB. This is my edge guy in free agency:

• Like Like x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You may be right but I will say this ILB or OLB I would love this guy. I remember when he came out in the draft I liked him but wanted Kyle Fuller. Now we have a 2nd chance and I like him still, I know he wasn't used as a rusher but that don't mean he can't do it. Here was a draft write up on him from back then:

Strengths:
    • Explosive speed
    • Extremely fast rushing off the edge
    • Excellent in pursuit
    • Dangerous pass-rusher
    • Special athleticism
    • Extremely fluid
    • Ability to play in space
    • Quick twitch; sudden athlete
    • Good tackler
    • Closes quickly
    • Good length
    • Frame to get bigger
    • Ready to play immediately in the NFL
    • Good motor
    • Can use his hands and feet at the same time
    • Good instincts considering his lack of time at linebacker
    • Huge upside, could be better as a pro
    • Bloodlines: father and three uncles played in the NFL
    • Great fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker

As for Barrett I liked him when Porter was coaching him in college so I am good with him as well. Like I said this is a nice class of OLB's.