1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Early First Round Targets

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Jan 6, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree and really wasn't just talking about Murphy I am more talking about size in general. I didn't know squat about Murphy until I watched some clips and was like wow this kid can play. My points on size is this if a guy has ball skills and is 182 does that mean he can't tackle? Also since we have been so bad over the last few years isn't it time we look more at ball skills? This past year the top 2 guys in INT's were 190 and 192 lbs. Also our starting CB(Haden) was 6th on our team in tackles, imo with the way people are tossing this ball around it may be time we look for more ball hawking CB's and bigger safetys. :smiley1:

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

deebo looks pretty good to me. sills is good to from WVa.. he'd be a good slot receiver. not a burner but a good wr. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I still like Murphy as our pick in the first, but if you are looking for a CB who has that 6' 200lb build I would look to Iman Marshall out of USC. Pretty rocked up dude when I saw him in the Senior Bowl. I wouldn't want him as our #1, but if he's there in the 2nd, that would be great value imo.

Found this older article on him from PFF
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/college-iman-marshall-blossoming-into-one-of-pac-12-best

(you'll see Murphy listed in those charts as well)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe Swanny has some inside info? I am sure the Steeler scouts are asking.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Speaking of rocked up....how about Rock Ya Sin

• Like Like x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    great band I hear they're opening up for Metallica

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Went away either by design or play. Each and every week we need people
    to step up and make plays. No taking weeks off.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He had 57 tackles on the year. Just a couple shy of haden. 7th on the team, haden was 6th. Sometimes those guys are doing their jobs if you don't notice them. :cool:

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd say he was our best or #2 CB. He had a bad 2 game stretch around the Denver game but other than that was solid.

That can't be said for most of our DBs. But maybe that's not a very high bar either.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We spent too much time with burns and sensabaugh. I want deebo samuel to replace AB. Give Ben a similar target and let our top wide receiver coach carry on what he's good at. See what we can get for AB. Dump dupree and use that money for a free agent. Resign hilton. :cool:

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    JJ forty time will probably determine where he gets drafted, he's good at making contested catches. I see him as a 4.6 guy.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Another Wild Card I have but am not yet slotting is Julian Love from Notre Dame. He might not scream Top 20 pick initally but he came up big time for the Fighting Irish. One could even make the argument he was the teams MVP. To say he is the best Irish corner to come out in some time is not an overstatement.

He can simply make plays. That being said, he needs to have a great combine to even warrant a First Round grade and nevermind a Top 20 one. However, should Byron Murphy be gone by then (assuming he shows off at the combine as well), Love would not be a bad consolidation prize.

Again, this is assuming he tears it up.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think he will be there by our 2nd. I like him as a prospect for us. :cool:

14. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Which means he’ll probably be our first selection!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Trade up? :hehehe:

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We won't have to if we get a first for AB. :cool:

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I know everyone's talking cornerback but I won't be surprised if this is the year they go lineman in the first. Whether a OT falls because of all the DTs or a DT falls because a couple QBs go earlier than they should, or there's a run on CBs.

DT - Alualu is an UFA, LT Walton only played in 4 games and McCullers played his large butt off to make the 53 then disappeared (like I said he would before the season started).
    Jerry Tillery is a Stephon Tuitt clone size wise but has some teammate issues I heard, could be a rumor. 2nd rounder anyway.
    Maybe Oliver from Houston or Wilkins from Clemson would be more in line for the first round targets.

For offense, I don't know if they'd go G/C or OT. They have Finney in case Foster splits, but then you're interior depth is thin. They keep looking at blocking TEs which leads me to believe they want to take Chuks off the extra TE duty and have him move in for Gilbert sooner than expected. Jerald Hawkins is a question mark. Feiler did well filling in for OT so the interior would be more lacking imo. Is there a G/C worthy of 1:20.? I would say they could address G/C later as 1:20 seems high for someone who will be backing up Pouncey and Finney possibly.

Overall, I would say a def. lineman would mesh better with the team needs. I know NB likes Ed Oliver. I'm just starting to look at the def. lineman. I'm not ruling one out though.

18. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I could see us having to invest higher draft capital into the OL now that Munch is gone, but I don’t think this is the year to do it. I think Pouncey will be the first to bounce, and I don’t think we have anyone on deck to replace him. Not 100% sure if C is a plug & play position, so maybe we’d take a look at that this year day 3, if anything. If we spend our first on OL I just don’t see the possibility of any return on investment this year.

I like how you think though as I’m always open to solidify the trenches. I think DL is most plausible this year for a high pick, but personally it’s quite far down on the priority list.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Should Byron Murphy and DeAndre Baker be gone by then, that could likely be a possibility. Keep in mind that I am under the assumption Mack Wilson performs okay but not good enough. Given the fact that the Steelers have not taken a Round One player from a smaller conference since Big Ben, I doubt Germaine Pratt would get the call the same.

Only major reason I do not have any Defensive Lineman in my sig is that due to the depth and talent of the Defensive Line being so colossaly better than any other position, other positions might take a hit and force teams to nab specific positions earlier than anticipated. Jachai would be a shoe in as a 3-4 OLB and, should he not only measure well but test well the same, Devin Bush is not out of the question either.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    If we trade ab and get a first, would we

A. Go for Josh Allen
    B. Dump dupree and save 9 mil.

How would

1. Josh Allen
    1. Deebo samuel
    2. Julian love
    3. Germain Pratt

Look to our team?:hehehe::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Incredible. Thing is.. even with AB, we would have to give up a bit more. I doubt Josh Allen escapes the Top Five. He is too gifted. We would have to move the proverbial Heaven and Earth to get that high.

Again though.. if that were to happen, you are not seeing me complain!

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I watched some games this AM. I watched 3 2018 Devin White games (Miami, Ole Miss, Georgia). I had previously watched his 2018 Auburn and Georgia games (so it was my second time with his Georgia tape). I don’t see the film matching the hype. Yes, he’s fast, and can pursue sideline to sideline. Yes, he shows ability in coverage. However I think he’s merely average against the run between the tackles. Very often his way of dealing with blockers is to back away and get out of their range. That sacrifices yards. He also looks slow to diagnose plays IMO. He’s often the last guy moving on the defense. Is that what he’s being coached to do? I don’t know. I’ve seen him projected as high as pick #5 in mocks. To me that’s too high. Is he worth pick #20? Maybe. I definitely wouldn’t trade up for him, especially in a draft like this where some very high quality D linemen might be available in the 3rd round. I want more picks, not less.

I also watched 3 games of Jachai Polite, and one game each of Brian Burns and Julian Love. Because I watched only 1 game of Burns and Love, these are very early first impressions. I like Polite as an edge rusher, but I’m less impressed with his run defense. He often doesn’t set a good edge, and can be controlled by TEs. In the one game that I watched of Burns, he looked like an excellent run defender on the edge, but he didn’t show me the kind of bend that I want to see in an edge pass rusher. I need to watch more. Love did not look to me like a 1st round prospect in his Michigan game. He looks like a solid all around corner, but somewhat lacking in quick twitch. Again, just a first impression.

• Like Like x 2
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    One thing I see from burns is the ability to change up his rush moves. Second, even though he is light for a guy that tall, are those extremely long arms that help keep blockers from getting inside to grab him easily. Those arms also allow him to swat and create turnovers when he's even near the ball. Just my observation. With better players around him and some good NFL coaching, I think there is a bunch to work with. As far as love, I don't think he's a shut down guy but very solid. Almost like a haden type player.:cool:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    One more thing about a couple of these players: I like to compare prospects to similar prospects from past years and see how those guys from past years actually fared at the NFL level. For Murphy, I see a lot of Janoris Jenkins in pass defense, though I also think Murphy shows more willingness to tackle, which indicates to me that he may be less of a "me" guy than Jenkins has turned out to be. Would I spend a mid-high first round pick to get a guy like Janoris Jenkins without the baggage? The answer for me is emphatically yes. For Devin White, I see similarity to Jonathan Vilma. Vilma was terror as a MLB in a 4-3 defense where the 4 guys up front were able to keep him relatively clean, but when the Jets shifted to a 3-4 he lost his effectiveness because he wasn't able to impact against runs between the tackles when blockers were able to zero in on him. I think White is similar. I think he'll be very solid if he gets to play in between two down tackles who will keep him relatively clean to read, react and pursue. I don't think he'll do as well at the NFL level in a odd front where he's more likely to have to take on offensive linemen between the tackles. Just my opinion.

25. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    As per my Ed Oliver comments, I stand by the fact I believe he is the best DT in this draft. He is different than Williams, Geary and Simmons. Oliver is a pure disruptive force and the closest thing to Aaron Donald.

Now the only reason I talk about him as a potential Steeler is because it is possible he may fall in the draft. Even though I know we won't because he doesn't fit our scheme, the second he falls out of the Top 10/12 I would be on the phone looking to move up.

This is just all fantasy as I can't see the Steelers making that type of move.

As for Devin White, I think he goes Top 15 but in my eyes he's not as good as Roquan Smith was last year.

Definitely really liking Adderly after seeing him at the Senior Bowl. Need to watch more on him but not forgetting about Chauncey Gardner-Johnson.