1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pitt Hired the Right New Hoops Coach

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, Mar 27, 2018.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Well they couldn't get their first choice but Pitt just hired Jeff Capel, Associate (whatever that means) Head Coach at Duke to be new HC at Pitt. He's been at Duke since 2011 and was HC at VCU and Oklahoma prior to that. Good pedigree, although so much stigma associated with Pitt BB program, who knows how this will take shape. Will be interesting to see how many of the 9 recent transfer requests stay aboard. I can't remember a time when Pitt had so much controversy at HC for both FB and BB than these past 6-7 years. I think the FB program is turning the corner provided they can field a decent defense and can grow an above average QB. BB will be a huge question mark after these horrific past 2 years.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I love it, already has signed a 4star, it is going to take some time but I believe this was the right guy.

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You called it Ward. How refreshing to see this team play with passion. The wins this past week over Louisville and FL St were amazing fun/entertaining games to watch. They even held their own against NC ST most of that game. The ACC is so mixed up right now - Pitt gets blown out by NC, Pitt beats Louisville, Louisville blows out NC, FL ST loses a buzzer-beater to Duke, Pitt whollops FL ST, Syracuse beats Duke and now Pitt faces Syracuse and Duke in its next 2 games. I don't think Pitt is more talented than these ACC teams they've beaten so far, Capel has just out-coached the opponents coaches and his team is now gelling and optimizing the talent they have to outlast or at least keep up with the ACC opponents. While I had a lot of respect for Jamie Dixon, he was not a good fit in the ACC vs his success in the Big East. Capel is genetically wired into the ACC and it's now showing. He was spot on to set up the D last night to clog the driving lanes and force FL ST to shoot from the perimeter where they had a miserable what, 1-23 on 3 pt shots? And the same on Pitt driving the lanes and drawing penalties. This may be the best Pitt free throw team in decades so playing to that advantage is genius. I'm not concerned about making the NCAA playoffs, just want to see heart and consistency from this group of IMHO, overachieving Freshman. Really looking forward to the next few years when Capel's recruiting is in full force and this current group solidifies even more. HTP :bowdown:

4. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    We now have a coach in place to compete. Coach Capel has these guys playing hard. I love how they play.
    I am very disappointed in our football program under coach Narduzzi. I thought he would be able to
    make us a top 25 program. I am afraid he is not the man for the job.

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I tend to agree about the FB program. Still not sure how they pulled off the W's vs highly ranked Clemson and Miami and almost against ND this past season. One of Pitts main problem has been the inability to attract quality and now even average QBs. When they had that series of outstanding WRs, even average/slightly above average QBs racked up great stats but now with the WR corp dropping off, these QBs just can't get it done. The run game was awesome this past year which is also a tribute to a great O-Line. But that D has been very inconsistent even with the occasional stud individual (e.g. AD). Other than Clemson, Pitt should be able to compete against every other team in the ACC. BTW, Pitt did crack the top 25 for 1 week this year and then went into a 3 game tailspin.

6. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I should have rephrased my wording about the football team.
    They need to be in contention to play meaningful games year in year out
    and meaningful bowls year in year out. I am not sure what the AD thought when she extended Pat
    Maybe the Miami win last year? I was hoping Canada would be back at OC. I think that would have put
    too much pressure on the HC. Miami and FL St are going to improve tremendously and of course Clemson
    is a perennial playoff caliber team. Narduzzi needs to work harder and find players. Why isn't Pitt
    in the conversation with these Transfers????? Come on Pat.

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Pitt BB will have problems with good 3 pt shooting teams like NC and Syracuse and under the basket against the "bigs". What helped immensely in their W vs FLA St was getting their 7-4 center to foul out early in 2nd half. This was a Syracuse team that had just beat the #1 team Duke on the road a few days earlier. The Orange defended Pitt well and cut off lane driving almost completely and relegated them to pressured perimeter shots which is not their strong suite. Still a vast improvement over the last 2+ years. HTP!

8. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Cannot believe this was 31 years ago! I can still hear Bill Rafferty yelling "Send it in Jerome!"

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    In another thread where the OP asked which Pittsburgh Sport faces should appear on Mt Rushmore and I cited the 4 most famous sports plays in Pittsburgh History: I cited Jerome Lane's monster dunk, Franco's catch, Maz's homer and Mario's 5 goal game scoring 5 different ways. All iconic plays and players who achieved them. :bowdown:

• Like Like x 1
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Well not surprisingly, the inexperience of the Pitt BB team is more and more evident as they dip deeper into the ACC schedule. Even in defeat they play with so much more heart than Pitt hoop teams the past 2-4 years. It's encouraging (slightly) but still embarrassing that they fell so low. I feel for Jeff Capel trying to assemble a team with duct tape and spit. Hopefully he recruits some size for next year to even stand a chance in the ACC. Tragic how Cameron Johnson is tearing it up for the Tarheels. :facepalm:

12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Even though NC Tarheels are having a miserable season (finally), it was sure great seeing Pitt bounce back the other night and killing them with the 3's! Still too many brain-farts by this young crew but lots of optimism for the first time in years. Great hire in Capel. HTP!

13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Premature elation. Could have/should have beat Wake Forest and Miami but the turnovers are inexcusable. Like the commercial says: "Sometimes just OK is not OK!" :facepalm: