1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

espy says patriots greatest team of all time... BS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TOMSTEEL88, Jan 25, 2019.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This is a common argument: the Pats play in a weak division and this inflates their record.

The truth is they maybe get a tiny advantage from this, but not much, no where near 1-2 games a season.

From 2004 thru 2018, the Pats overall win% vs everybody is 77.5% 12.4 games per 16
    Their win% vs the pathetic weak AFCE is 78.8% or 12.6 games per 16
    Their win% vs the rough, tough AFCN is 76.7% or 12.3 games per 16
    Vs the AFC in total 76.7% or 12.3 games per 16
    Vs the NFC. 80%. Or 12.8 games per 16

Over the course of 15 yrs, if they lost one more division game, their record vs the AFCE would match their overall record. Not much of an advantage.

They beat up weak AFCE teams at about the same rate that they beat everybody else. And they beat everybody with astonishingly high frequency and consistency.

Whats one of the major beefs about the Steelers? That they play down to weak teams and lose too often to them. Well, no one ever accuses the Pats of that.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who?
    No really who is ESPY

• Like Like x 2
  3. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    If they win next week, 6 Super Bowls in 19 years, 9 appearances, cant argue anymore.

Noll and Belichick are the same coach. Belichick had the advantage of having a motivated Brady for his entire Patriots career.

Noll had the advantage of keeping hall of fame players for a decade without free agency.

Had the Steelers drafted Dan Marino, I think Noll wins one more title before he retires.

It's an opinion and if, but if the Patriots win next Sunday, you can't argue they arent the best ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't see how anyone can argue that they aren't the best dynasty in pro sports. No other team has the SB wins and appearances they do. Again, we're only referring to the current Pats dynasty, which involves Brady and Belichek. In the age of free agency, what they're doing will likely never happen again. It's unheard of.

5. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Hard to argue against that, they sure have accomplished a lot in the Brady Bellicheat era. But the way they protect QBs today, Brady wouldn't have lasted near as long then as he has in todays NFL. He would have punched out of football years ago. Can you imagine him taking a hit like Bradshaw did when I think it was Jones from the Brown's who picked up Bradshaw flipped him over and drove his head into the ground. I understand how the QBs took a lot more punshment back then than they do now, so saying that I don't see how you can compare old teams with those old rules with teams today and the flag happy refs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Cant argue with espy (whoever espy is) we have to give credit where credit is due :puking2:BUT I'm also know that if we would've had a different coach we could've should've went to at least 2/3 more Super Bowls and ESPY wouldn't be talking about them dumb f u c k s smdh

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You don't compare teams from different eras, it's impossible. The 70's Steelers wouldn't have gotten near Brady because players are so much bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic these days. A team from 40-50 years ago cannot beat a team from the current era. The Jacksonville Jaguars would beat the 70's Steelers.

The only thing you can compare is how a team fares against its competition. That's the only measuring stick because it's based on reality, not fantasy. How have the Pats matched up against their competition compared to the 70's Steelers, or any other dynasty? The results speak for themselves. Love them or hate them, the Pats are doing something that we will never see again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes, time of possession does play a factor in many of their games. ;)

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    :hmm:

es·py
    Dictionary result for espy
    /əˈspī/
    verb
    literary
    verb: espy; 3rd person present: espies; past tense: espied; past participle: espied; gerund or present participle: espying
    catch sight of.
    "she espied her daughter rounding the corner"
    synonyms: catch sight of, glimpse, catch/get a glimpse of, see, spot, spy, notice, observe, make out, discern, perceive, pick out, sight, detect, have sight of;

.......but perhaps the more plausible description is:

ESPY Award
    Accolade
    Description
    An ESPY Award is an accolade currently presented by the American broadcast television network ABC, and previously ESPN, to recognize individual and team athletic achievement and other sports-related performance during the calendar year preceding a given annual ceremony. The first ESPYs were awarded in 1993.

The only problem here is that by definition, the ESPY's only apply to the past year, not all time greatest, but I digress. They probably created a "Lifetime Achievement Award" just to stack it higher and deeper on B & B while they still can. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  10. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Why is always Brady? We give the qb way to much credit. It's a team sport. Hell vinatieri deserves as much credit as he does

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    True. And the video operator!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    That is flat out ridiculous. A kicker, who only played with the Pats for 3 of their SB appearances deserves as much credit as the QB who's taken them to 9? Who do you suppose got Vinatieri in FG range?

Maybe Brady gets too much credit, but I know I ain't given the kicker even 1/10 as much credit.

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    ......and he won all 3 with his leg. If they had had Boswell..........

• Like Like x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    AFC south was pretty lopsided when Peyton was trying to beat Marsha in the playoffs with the Colts. Probably not as long though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelerway8511

Steelerway8511 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018

You're joking right? If anything, what the Patriots have done, makes Brady even greater and shows he is the key cog in what they have done and are doing. The fact that they have played in 5 of the last 8 super bowls, 3 in a row and 9 of the last 18 means that Brady has had sustained excellence for almost 2 decades. Listen, I can't stand the Patriots just like all of us but I'm done trying to take credit away from them. He is the G.O.A.T. of all GOATS. Give credit where it's due Homer

16. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    No way is he the greatest QB to ever play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Dont know about greatest either, but top 5 at least.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Another lost millennial or gen x making that stupid prediction. Tell them to check out Steelers in 70's

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Unitas
    Marino
    Montana
    Bradshaw
    Manning, Brady, always, Favre. Splitting hairs at this point

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    People might not like Billichick and Brady, but they've been destroying it since they've been in the league.

21. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    G&D D*@M Muther F*$%NG Moe Lewis. :emperor:

22. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    LOL "This is more critical than the first down to the Patriots."

Yes Dick Enberg it was, but not for the reason you thought......

23. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Can you imagine Jack Lambert getting ahold of Brady with 1970's rules? He'd rip his freaking head off!! Man, I'd love to see that!

24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Be honest with yourselves. If you could build a team using any player, past or present. who would your QB be? Mine would be Montana, no question! Marino 2nd string

25. Steelerway8511

Steelerway8511 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018

Interested to hear your opinion on the greatest of all time? Let me guess ? Bradshaw? Lol