1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

espy says patriots greatest team of all time... BS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TOMSTEEL88, Jan 25, 2019.

1. TOMSTEEL88

TOMSTEEL88 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bull****. Steelers of the 70s would beat the **** out of these cheaters. Screw Bob Kraft and that whole organization along with their frontrunner idiot fans.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Were they talking franchise or this seasons team?

Either way it’s a bit of a short sighted claim.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It's hard to argue, Brady has been in the SB almost 50% of his career.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steelerway8511

Steelerway8511 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Brady has played in 16% of all Super Bowls played. Just saying...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    In a single game I would take any of the 70's Steelers teams over any of the Patriots teams. The 70's Steelers were far to talented and Chuck Noll could match X's and O's with Belichick any day of the week. If you are looking at the body of work as a whole, it is hard to argue that the Patriots have had a better run. They have been to 9 Super Bowls since 01'. That is insane.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Comparing teams versus team from different eras is a fools game. The games they play(ed) are as different as rugby and football. Team building and maintaining are also completely different. Hard to argue against any team that goes to 8 straight AFCCG in the days of salary caps and free agency. Never going to be seen again. Hard to be another team's fan during this period but the Pats have done the impossible over this stretch.

To indulge in a fools game for a bit (it is fun), folks who compare the great teams of history to todays teams don't factor in the physical difference in players today versus the 70s. The famed Steel Curtain would have made big linebackers on todays teams. If the 2019 Pats played any of the Steeler teams from the 70s they would never have to throw a pass. The D-line would be giving up 30-50 pounds per man to the modern O-lineman, not to mention how much faster and better physically trained modern player are. The could put in two TE's (Gronk is larger than anyone on the steel curtain) and just run power football all game long.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    None of their teams are even top 10..they are just the greatest team ok the fact that they have been consistent over the span of nearly 2 decades. No other qb or coach has one sbs a decade apart together. Their reign and success was just longer than anyone else.

8. Steelerway8511

Steelerway8511 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Kinda what it's all about, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Who's Espy? More opinions. My opinion is the 70s Steelers teams were better. The 80s 9er teams were better. But, we all know what opinions are like............Patriot fans!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Who even reads or listens to what they spew. My opinion means more to me than theirs does I say the Steelers organization is the GOAT.

11. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Steelers of the 70's would absolutely anihalate any of the 2000's Pats team. I'll go a step further and say only the Cowboys of the 90's would stand a chance against those 70's Steelers.

12. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    They CHEAT....nuff said!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    They are right.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hate the Patriots but have to give it to them, they be great. (excuse me while I throw up) It is impossible to compare the 70's in the NFL to today's NFL. The rule changes favor an offense and the safety issue now dominates sports.

15. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    100% correct.

See above.
    The Steel Curtain would get absolutely mauled by this years Pats team. Hell, they'd probably get even more destroyed by this years Steelers offense. And the 70s Steelers offense? Crushed. Their O line would be little more than a speed bump on the way to Bradshaw. He'd have about 3 nanoseconds to throw. Harris and Blier would be stuffed. The Steelers would be lucky to score 10 points. It would be a blow out.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I don't really understand the different systems that teams incorporate. I've been told by people in the know that Tom Brady would have never been near what he is today if the Steeler drafted him. I have no idea. If Ben was the Patriots QB would the results have been the same for them????? I watch as little of Brady as I can, does he have the need to fire the ball way downfield a few times a game like Ben???

17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I hate last years Steelers team more than any patriots team and that says a lot. Steelers disappointed all of us from all angles. Re signing shaz is a step in the right direction

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Who cares? I don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It's hard to compare eras, the game is different. Teams are built to play in the era they play in, for obvious reasons, and would have a hard time playing their game I another time.

But having said that, I tend to believe that today's athletes and sophistication of strategy is far, far better than past generations. I doubt any NFL teams from the '70s could compete in today's league. The same with MLB, NBA or NHL.

This is sure to be an unpopular opinion, but look at it this way. It's Jan 1980, the Stillers have just won their 4th SB, and you're in a bar claiming this is the greatest team of all time. Some old codger counters that the Browns of the '40s - '50s went to title games for 10 straight years and won 7 championships. You laugh at the stupid old coot. Players are far better now and the game is more advanced today, you say. Otto Graham and his boys would have got killed. Who's making the old coot argument now?

• Like Like x 1
  20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    If I may quote a famous Orator in these parts: "Who?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Depends on what rules they incorporate...70's or now...If it was the 70's game over...Lamert would beat the living **** out of Marsha, drop him on his head...

Those little runt WR's lol...They would never get off the los with their little pick plays...Blount would obliterate them before they went out on their patterns...

If todays rules...Where everything is fixed and staged...And people cheat...Nah

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Well stated. VERY well stated.
    I ain't no old coot. I still have my marbles.

[​IMG]

23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    The only way to compare NFL teams from different eras is via computer simulation and even then the results are often controversial and debatable. Nonetheless, as I recall whenever a serious simulation is run between the best Steelers team from the 70's vs any single season team since (taking into account metrics, rules, and a myriad of other factors), the Steelers are always victorious. I trust H.A.L. more than I do some prissy sportswriter. End of debate. However, what the Pats have accomplished since 2000, weak division and all, unfortunately places the Steelers a distant 2nd in franchise comparisons, even adding in the Dynasty. Numbers are numbers after all and as sick as it is, somehow B & B keep finding themselves atop the pile or near the top each and every year. :noose: :puking 3:

24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    So, you're saying Bill and Tommy are both tops? I wondered...........

25. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    As good as the Patriots have been, being in that division is good for another 1 or 2 wins every year, which inflates the Pat's stats. It would be interesting if there is any other division that has been that lopsided for that long of a time.