1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You only do it if it benefits the Steelers, you don't just give him away. I don't agree that they are better with him as fact. They are better with him IF he does a 180 and becomes a team player and drops the diva act and being disruptive. I just don't see him taking that step. He is who he is.

Thats going to be up to Rooney after talking to AB and if AB says the right things. Rooney will have to decide if he thinks he's capable of following through. Thats assuming AB ever stops being a punk and calls the man.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, that’s why I stuck in the “can’t be cured”. Absolutely, if things can be mended, that is the first option. And I think Mr Rooney left a slight window for that option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree it is up to ownership I am just talking as a fan. I agree he has to stop the diva act and yeah AB is who he is. I agree he is being a punk for not calling him and all this BS he is doing, I am not liking any of that. But to think we are not a better team with AB is wrong, almost any team is better with AB. This whole deal sucks IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Like you, I see precious little evidence that AB has the slightest intention of doing a 180. Art II said last week that he hasn't talked to AB and isn't waiting by his phone. So, suppose AB, as is likely, never talks to Art or Tomlin again. You have to trade him, right? He can't come back under circunstances like that.

So you're forced to trade him. As you cut your deal, and your trade partner is willing to give you a 1st rounder, but wants some assurance that AB will actually report after the trade. This means talking to his agent. And if his agent says, my client won't go to Denver, Buffalo, Tampa Bay whatever, the deal is off with those teams. AB has some choice of destination leverage, unless you want to force him to sit or return.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree they are better from a talent standpoint but are they better with the baggage that comes with him? Do you think TO made teams better? Because AB has entered TO territory. I don't even think TO ever walked out on his team.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I suppose AB can make life difficult for the Steelers, Bell showed us players can be unpredictable but I just don't see AB holding out at his age. He's too much of a me player, wants his stats. Wants to be Jerry Rice great.

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't think it's a question of AB holding out. He knows the Steelers HAVE to deal him. They don't want him back, they can't have him back. So he will be able to direct where they trade him. He ain't hiolding out, but unlike Bell where the team was willing for him to return at his lie sure, AB has burned his bridge back.

8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’d be surprised if AB’s contract didn’t have a clause giving him trade veto power.

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That is what I am talking about talent, what I am trying to say is keeping the 2 separate. There is no doubt AB has acted bad in this but there is no doubt what he brings to the table as far as skills goes. Like I said in my previous at what point do we give into every unhappy player?

As for the TO thing how many teams did he play for(SF, Philly, Cryboys, Bills, Bungals and a brief stay with the Seahawks), that should answer that question there were more than a few that over looked his off field stuff to think they were better with him. There are always teams that are going to over look these things to make them better.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Is that common language in football contracts? I know it is in baseball.

Well it’s a package, can’t separate them and unfortunately his baggage is bringing down the rest of the team.

And I asked you if YOU feel TO made the teams he played on better. There will always be a GM that will sign problem players, doesn’t prove anything.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, yes. Owens did make teams better. He damn near carried the Eagles to a Super Bowl.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I guess you were missing my point in my original post, I am keeping them separate and then asking people here what they thought. I was just a conversation starter as ME PERSONALLY don't want to see AB go from his performance side but can't stand to keep him here from his off field side. Also if we trade him does it open up others who want out to do something.

As for TO you asked if I thought TO made teams better yes I did ON THE FIELD but not off it for sure and it looks like other teams felt the same way as I showed in my example. Like I said this whole deal stinks and to be honest with you us fans are the ones suffering imo. We have no control and we are left holding our fandom in this whole mess. Sad sad sad..........

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You can’t separate the baggage from the talent. I don’t agree he made teams better. He blew up every locker room he was in.

People are fooling themselves if they think AB is going to be a model teammate at this point of his career. It’s just going to get worse from here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn’t miss your point. You can’t separate the two.

I agree it’s sad and the situation sucks.

15. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He probably wont holdout but he knows the team doesnt want him back for the integrity of the organization. If he comes back he knows he can pretty much do what he wants and the team will do nothing. It's all a very slippery slope.

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He did make the eagles better. That 04 season was by far McNabb's best. T.O was the reason they got the number 1 seed and finally got over the hump.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Over the hump? They didn't win the SB. By your own definition, anything less is a failure. TO didn't help any team win a championship.

Your on field talent isn't making the team better while you are tearing it down in the locker room.

Mark Schlereth who knows a thing or two about winning championships said it takes everyone on the team with the same goal, pulling for each other and caring more about your teammates than yourself, to win it all. People like AB with all that talent, just make the ultimate goal harder and less likely to achieve because it's all about them.

TO didn't win anything and bet the Steelers won't with AB. Maybe a few years ago they could have but his behavior is getting worse. I'm sure there is a team out there that will give up a first rd pick for him.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Because he got hurt and mcnabb choked. If he was healthy in that game they win and he was playing on a broken fibula and still had 9 for 128. Before he got there they had went to what 5 straight NFC championships and couldn't win. How many of the top 10 receivers have won rings? Only Jerry, Irvin, and Harrison. All 3 played with first ballot hall of fame QBs. Wr is a dependent position. Normally they dont lead you to a ring but they can be a tremendous help. And I said LONG TIME AGO Ab was a me guy.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    One season, one season and they didn't even win and your absolving years of train wrecks. You're not going to win **** with those types of players.

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

OK.......

21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    How many rings does P.O.(T.owens) have? As many as teams he made better.

• Like Like x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    How did we go from getting rid of team cancers and bad coaches to bringing them both back and keeping the crappy coaches?? What the hell is going on with this team?

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.