1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We are not talking about Mike Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Jan 19, 2019.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    These comments are about Andy Reid. If Tomlin got this message and practiced it the Steelers would be great again.
    "Joe Banner, the Eagles' president who hired Reid as head coach in 1999, said the most impressive thing about Reid in the interview process, and one of reasons he got the job, was the meticulous list of prospective assistant coaches he wanted to hire for Eagles staff."
    "He had a list of all of these coaches he had met and notes about them and even ordered them, like it was a draft board," Banner said. "That tells you how much he appreciates surrounding himself with good people. He was looking for the best people as opposed to some coaches out there who are conscious of hiring people who aren't threats.
    "Andy realizes he can't be successful unless he's surrounded by people that actually make you better. He also realizes the better he makes those people, the better he is. Investing in the time it took to properly evaluate coaches and in trying to develop them were something he prioritized. When you do that and teach as well as he does, you're going to have a lot of good coaches working for you."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You're right. They are not talking about MT. Should be in the Other NFL topic section. No?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    All that is fine. But honestly, if Andy Reid had coached the Steelers the last 10 yrs, and had Andy-Reid-playoff results here, the fans would want him out like they want Tomlin out now. His meticulous , detailed selection process for getting good asst coaches wouldn't matter a fig.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Don’t you just love the disagree button? I don’t understand what was typed and can’t formulate a legitimate response so I will just disagree.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Perplexing. I just wonder what the disagreement is. Is the argument that if Reid was here with his historic playoff underachievement that the Yinzers WOULDN'T want him fired? I think you'd have a hell of a time making that case.

6. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    His coaching tree is very impressive.

I think the Steelers are attempting to make something like this happen. Getting some college minds like Tom Bradley and Eddie Faulkner in here.

7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    When, the 12th of Never?

8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I agree. I look at the HC and see who he surrounds himself with to actually run the teams various functions. It's interesting to also see what kind of lineage the HC develops like Reid has with his former staff members and where they ended up. Similar to Saban at 'Bama. Now,what about MT's coaching tree. Crickets. The only one that I can think of is Arians and he has done very well (after MT fired him). I am just waiting out the great abyss (the off season) until I can be disappointed again. Hoping for something positive to happen before next season.

9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I sure hope Andy gets himself a SB victory. I'm stuck in Philly sports fandom and the majority of Eagle fans liked him even though he could not get them a ring. They blamed McNabb a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Lets not annoit him yet..But if he would win the Super Bowl with basically a rookie QB and losing one of the best RB's in the league...I would surely give him props

11. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I know you don’t go around singing the praises of Eagles fans, but I gotta respect that they’re pulling for their former (fired) coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I got one as well. It really is quite the honor.

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Also used if you blaspheme against the Rooney's :hehehe:

14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I understood and have been saying this from day one. Tomlin is as great as his assistants. He not only inherited Cowher's superbowl caliber team, but also his staff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually Art Rooney II fired Arians.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Not true, Arians "retired."

• Like Like x 1
  17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Having the Steelers retire him was the best thing that ever happened to him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    All praises to Andy Reid!

What’s his playoff record versus MT? I seem to remember Boz literally kicking them out of the playoffs.

If I had my choice, I’ll take MT and his ring versus AR’s record.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Andy. I hope he wins this year. I sure hope he wins tomorrow! But until he does, his record is incomplete.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Also used when you are wrong, inaccurate, illogical, whiny and nonsensical. :hehehe:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Reid may have a good coaching tree, but his team chokes a lot in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind seeing the Chiefs win the SB this year.

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They have waited 50 years since their one and only superbowl win with hank stram, they deserve to win one if they can pull it off and at least knock the cheats off today to get in, go chiefs....

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Art is that you? I'd expect you to be busy on that contract extension for Tomlin.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    First rule of Mike Tomlin fight club is you DO NOT talk about Mike Tomlin fight club.

• Like Like x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Like the avatar...

• Like Like x 1
  25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The Rooneys had to protect their investment, nothing against Ariens.