1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The inmates are running the asylum

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Xcursion88, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    The organization is in a quagmire. A once proud stick to it's principals organization is in disarray. The Steelers were the model franchise from ownership and GM down to the coaches and on to the players.

They have problems in the locker room. Problems at practice. Problems on social media. Teammates having problems with each other. All leading to problems on game day.

The NFL is tough enough to win games without all the extra nonsense. Even tougher in Tomlin's case as he can't seem to manage a clock, timeouts and challenges to steal a victory here and there.

Where do they go from here? Once Tomlin let everyone run wild it's hard to regain the control...respect if you will ..of the team.

Maybe it's as simple as waving bye to Le'Veon Bell and the biggest bawl baby in the NFL in Antonio Brown.

I think it's a bigger issue than just ridding the two clowns.

This moreso than anything else is paramount in righting the ship. We can debate needs all day long but this daily soap opera BS is the biggest killjoy ofbthe team.

2. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    All aboard Cap'n obvious

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Only thing I can say is Dan Rooney and Bill Cowher nipped things in the bud pretty quickly on players.

Most players that got busted for drugs or PED's even just once were usually good as gone. Cowher wasn't afraid to discipline guys.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Great point.

Tomlin definitely talks the tough guy talk but he's a players coach first and foremost.

Here we are in the middle of a brush fire because he wants to be buddies with everyone.

5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Art Rooney needs to step down as team president and hire someone to fill that role.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    We thought this year was fun...Wait until next year! A lot of questions will be answered, one way or another

7. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I will preface my comment by saying I am not a Tomlin apologist, I do think a share of the blame rests with Tomlin.

That being said, I remember Cowher being thought of as a players coach as well (at times). I think there are some quotes out there to suggest as much. Cowher would make a public display of emotion, but how often was it directed at one of his star players?

Some of Cowher’s teams also found ways to lose in inglorious fashion. I remember a game against Oakland (2006) where we lost to a team that didn’t exceed 100 total yards of offense. Penalties, particularly Porters behavior, were a big part of that loss. Remembering an oldie, there is also practicing for a super bowl rap video prior to a loss to an underdog Chargers team in the AFC Championship game.

I guess my point is, we have experienced disappointment under both coaches. We have experienced player issues with both. Neither was a disciplinarian in the mold of Belichick.

8. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I have a hard time seeing this team being more than 8-8 next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Not sure what makes this hilarious. He would still own the team.

10. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Welcome to the new Cleveland Browns....Where the chickens are coming home to roost!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I think 8-8 will be hard for this team to reach. They are a mess. Won’t be long before they are forced to blow it all up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    A losing season is OK by me. Let’s really rebuild by getting some high draft picks. Remember where the Saints, Chiefs and Rams were a couple years ago?

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I said this in another thread but the ones who have a man crush on ben and tomlin disagree lol

they rather watch the same thing happen every year until things get beyond fixing .

If they can fix the D with higher picks then they wont have to score 30 to 40 points

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I strongly agree..

15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Won't help unless we can start drafting coaches.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I think that works itself out this year. Art won’t have any choice. What’s he’s let take place the last couple of years will come back to bite the team.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    While what you say is true Cowher would have never let individual or team discipline slide to the point where you lose the locker room. Players are running the team at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

No need to mention belicheat as your model coach. Chas noll had more stars than any and his locker room didn't get away.:cool:

20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Chiefs actually have been good since they got Andy Reid. They got rid of Smith a year early and mortgaged some of their future for mahomes. That's how you stay at the top. Pats have done it for years they move guys a year early that's why bill wanted to move on from gronk last yr and look at him now.

21. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Different time. Guys didn't feel as entitled in the 70s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    No salary cap, no free agency. The 70s were a totally different game when it comes to team building and player team interaction. The players were totally at the mercy of the teams. Your choices were play for what they wanted to pay you or not play. Belichick's skill at building winning team after winning team in this environment is a much more impressive accomplishment than his super bowl rings.

• Agree Agree x 5
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

No need to mention belicheat as your model coach. Chas noll had more stars than any and his locker room
    didn't get away.
    Wrong. The show were many but CN ran the team and they knew it. Bradshaw was benched plenty. There was respect for a coach then. :cool:

24. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    This team is a laughing stock. I'm embarrassed to wear anything Steelers related out in public (living in Browns country). Like it or not Tomlin apologists, the coach is bears the responsibility for keeping his players in check... Doesn't matter how many stars or divas there are on a team. Once the veterans and former leaders from the early-mid 2000s retired (mostly Cowher's players), Tomlin's leadership role expanded.. and the team has run itself off the rails.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I am not sure if I can remember a time in the modern NFL era where every thing and everybody is looking at our organization as one falling into the great abyss. It's all over every media outlet possible and is embarrassing as he ll. How did it come to this? I'll give you two guesses, but you'll only need one. Somebody needs to right this listing ship asap;